View Single Post
Old 28 March 2019, 17:40   #2100
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
I have 3 questions pertaining to the A4000.
1) what are the screw holes on the front of the metal frame for and why are they off alignment.
I don't know off hand, but they are possibly to allow for slightly different configurations of the chassis. Perhaps a different drive cage was planned, or they're left over on the design from when the case was intended for PC use.

Quote:
2) whhat is the purpose of that magnet behind the front plastic, it just makes a mess of the cables and makes it more annoying to put the front back on.
That's not a magnet, but a ferrite core. Its purpose in general is to absorb electrical spikes in the cables. In this case I would expect it's to meet emissions regulations, as the cables to the LEDs and key switch all pass out of the metal casework, meaning that any electrical noise they carry could be radiated out and interfere with other equipment. It will work fine if you remove it.

Quote:
3) Why does my hard drive light stop working once I have an accelerator board with SCSI installed? I am still using my FastATA until I can get a properly sized SCSI drive.
The HD LED on a 4000 (and 600 & 1200) is linked directly to the relevant pin on the internal IDE port. If you don't use the internal IDE port, the LED won't be used. Most add-on controllers have their own separate header to use for activity LEDs, so you can disconnect the LED from the motherboard and connect it to the controller instead to get activity there.

Page generated in 0.04480 seconds with 11 queries