View Single Post
Old 09 September 2018, 14:56   #9
iXien

I totally understand what you are telling about.

The fact is that CDTV always been the ugly Duckling of the Amiga computers, the Amiga that is not really an Amiga.

The CD32 represents a kind of magic for a lot of Amiga fans. AGA and with 2Mb RAM, it can virtually play all the games and it is much more compact than an Amiga. Since the launching of WHDLoad, a lot of CD collections allow to play tons of OCS games that are not originally compatible with AGA computers.

Many tools appeared to help in adapt and hack Amiga games for CD32 (your great "CD32Load" in head). Great efforts have been made to adapt OCS games to CD32 that don't require more than 1 MB RAM. If I understand that as a nostalgic idea, I think that don't serve the idea of a great 32 bits system. Now if you can add CD music, it will be more interesting.

The main goal of my thread is to remember that in recent years, ECS based Amiga computers have taken on a lot of importance for the community, so the CDTV could perhaps finally start to no longer be considered a marginal machine but as the entertainement system version of the A500, in the same way that the CD32 is for the A1200.

List of games that should be hacked to use CD soundtrack and work just as well on CDTV as on CD32 is important.

And we can talk about a compromise : Nowadays, it is easier to add additionnal memory on CDTV than on CD32. So if some of your projects can be CDTV compatible with just 1Mb more RAM, please consider it as a possibility. I think it is not really a problem for current CDTV users. If your CD32Load is not required, maybe the only difference will be that CD32 is equipped with 2Mb ChipRAM and CDTV with 1Mb ChipRAM plus extra FastRAM ?

Page generated in 0.04319 seconds with 11 queries