View Single Post
Old 08 September 2018, 22:59   #6
iXien

Hi JOTD and thank you for your great work since more than 20 years on HDD game installation, if my memories are good. With the work of all the WHDLoad team, I can play tons of games directly from HDD on my expanded CDTV.

I think that CDTV is an under-exploited system. Back in 1990, having the ability to play CD based soundtracks ingame was enough to justify it. And it is really frustrating to know that lot of games available on Amiga was not using the CD soundtrack available on a lot of other versions. Lemmings is a good example (you're right AmigaJay, PC CD version hasn't audio soundtrack). I suppose audio soundtrack have been composed after PC and CDTV releases.

I played a lot of FM-Towns and Mega CD games. When I launch a game, each time it offers a CD soundtrack and exists on Amiga, I'm thinking CDTV was the perfect system to host the best Amiga version (before CD32 launch of course).

I understand that you will not create a "CDTVLoad" but please, try not to forget CDTV when it is possible. Patching Wonderdog is a great Idea, even if I suppose it will only work on CD32.

CDTV has a great advantage as floppy drive is natively supported which means that games don't have to be patched to save on CDTV internal memory or memory card I think about lot of adventure games that directly work on drive with 1mb RAM. I dream of a Loom, Dungeon Master, Eye Of The Beholder and Indy 3 versions using FM-Towns musics.

As I have an external CF card reader on my CDTV, I made just for fun a Worms version including all the videos converted from AVI (PC version) to HV played randomly before the launch of the game on a bootable CF card. Of course, you need extra RAM and the speed of an IDE drive, but it is really impressive on screen. A CDTV with cartridge port for games But once again, I can't use the CD soundtrack of the game as it needs to patch the Worms code, a hard task compared to the simple creation of a custom startup-sequence.

Page generated in 0.05453 seconds with 11 queries