View Single Post
Old 18 August 2018, 15:46   #1878
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
CDDA is a little more complicated, and involves a totally different approach of sending and receiving SCSI commands from the device driver that handles the CD-ROM. This is easy enough to do with system-friendly applications and games, but when the system is shut down, it's made a lot more complicated, potentially even needing different code depending on the interface used.

CD32 versions on WHDLoad are typically hardcoded for the CD32's device driver, which is different to other device drivers found on other Amigas. Also, the nature of WHDLoad is to run the games without requiring the original media, so typically the CD isn't present on the system (and often the system doesn't even have a CD drive). Streaming the audio from the hard drive is even more complicated again when you're dealing with non-system-friendly applications, and the amount of uncompressed data involved would mean a significant proportion of the Amiga's bus time would be used up streaming the audio, meaning big slowdowns in a lot of games with that approach using the standard built-in interfaces.
I know that it's not easy but perhaps more easy than porting a megacd game like another world 2 " Heart of the Alien " and the result should be interesting : new cd32 versions with full cdda support (earok?), they can be used next with cd32 emulators on the a1200 or 4000 with "SimCD32" or

ISO-Boot which is has SimCD32 and the squirrel Power Computing CD32 emu on a boot disk (source : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=47769) Iso-boot is available on the eab ftp...
It should lead to full 4 voices games for the sfx and cdda for the music.
some exemples : unreal with full 1mb sfx support + cdda music or like i said ninja warriors with in game music, there is plenty possibilities or great games with poor music for which we could switch those bad musics with c64 ones or arcade ones, i think it should worth the pain, and we have a bunch of good amiga music remixes available. thanks for all great amiga music remixers and composers. The biggest problem is the difficulty to make a standard patch like you said, but who knows... i will have a look with the generic slave from jean françois fabre + simcd32 + an iso mount utility but i don't know if one support cdda ??? Or perhaps with some interrupts with nofilecache option and no preload (whdload) and access to cdda directly like when you save on a real disk with whdload but like music normally are launched between stages it should the interrupts shouldn't be a big problem. I will try this crazy way, i'll see what is possible !

Last edited by turrican3; 18 August 2018 at 15:54.

Page generated in 0.04566 seconds with 11 queries