View Single Post
Old 17 August 2018, 19:36   #1861
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
1. Please give me a brief desecription of exactly what ARexx is...
2. Why can the Amiga only address 2MB Chip RAM, not enough traces on the motherboard?
3. How is it possible to format an Amiga CF card on WinUAE through a USB CF hub? That blows my mind...I know hard drive formatting is kind of OS controlled, but why does it work? The Emulator is talking through a USB hub on Windows...I just can’t compute...
4. From a theoretical point of view, could a aoundcard be built with 4 or 8 Paula’s on it? Would anyone besides me want this crazy thing?

Thanks!
1. A scripting language that allows cross-process (=cross application) communication. For example, an AREXX script could ask your e-mail client if a specific mail has arrived and if so, tell a different program to do something with the e-mail.
2. The custom chip controlling Chip RAM wasn't made with the ability to address more than 2MB worth. This is not exactly the same as not enough traces, but it's kind of similar in a way.
3. Formatting a CF card can be done because the CF card (and USB hub) don't actually care what data is read or written on the card. In essence, formatting mostly means putting the right data in the right spot so that the OS (in this case Amiga OS) can recognise it as a valid disk to use for writing files (it's slightly more complicated, but this is close enough I think).

Also, from the perspective of Windows there really is no difference between WinUAE and say Word, or MS Paint when it accesses a USB drive. As long as Windows lets applications access USB on the level needed for formatting a CF card, WinUAE can do its thing.
4. Sure, though it might be complicated due to how Paula expects data to be fed into it. But it should be possible.

Then again, the WHY!? question is quite apt here

Page generated in 0.05656 seconds with 11 queries