View Single Post
Old 13 November 2017, 21:20   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Too much sunlight will degrade the dye and make it unreadable that's for sure. A couple of the CD's I rescued was effected by this and taking off the top layer with polish allowed a good enough read to back them up. These CD's contained photo's that wasn't backed up anywhere else so I had nothing to lose really, they wouldn't read anyway so nothing more lost by trying.
It was a fun experiment at the time, and luckily served its purpose to retrieve the pictures.
The badly scratched DVD was just to see if it would work really, there was nothing on it important or not backed up elsewhere.
I was surprised it worked considering how much polishing and elbow grease it took.
Thanks for adding those details to explain more fully the comments you made in your original post. If you have tried successfully to revive a couple of CD-Rs by polishing them using the same technique which worked with glass-mastered CDs, then I am bound to give it a try, but only as a last resort, since I suspect that I will have lost any chance I might have had of salvaging any further files from the disc at all if it doesn't work in this instance. I'll let you know if it comes to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Have you considered just asking Individual Computers? They might just still have it and post it online if you ask, other installation disks are on their wiki nowadays :-)
It might be worth a try. However, I never received a reply the only time I tried previously to contact Jens Schönfeld by mail about providing Catweasel support for additional disk formats - even when I enclosed examples of the relevant floppy disks and a CD-R to which I had written satisfactory images of each disk dumped by other means, which he had specifically requested!

Furthermore, if Individual Computers still had a master image of that disc, and could distribute it, then I would expect it to be made available on their Wiki also.

Page generated in 0.06991 seconds with 11 queries