Thread: MegaBall v4.0
View Single Post
Old 19 September 2017, 21:27   #18
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
Thanks for the update! Still a few issues/comments on the MB 3.0 page:
It's still very much a WIP atm and needs a lot more elbow grease (and fact checking!). Don't worry, I'll get to it along with the MegaBall 4 update when I'm not so pressed for time.

Quote:
-3.1 may also be a fake/hacked version (unsure). It is not referenced in the history section of 4.0's documentation. I have a legit registered version of 3.0, which includes the board editor and a separate disk of music.
Nah, V3.1 looks to be legit. I came across a website where the guy had regged it and he stated that the only difference from V3.0 besides the titlescreen was the inclusion of a 2nd disk in the form of the music disk (which previously had to be regged separately). I'll have to make that clearer in the HOL notes. Incidentally, the V3.0 docs makes it pretty clear that the music disk wasn't part of the game and had to be registered separately for $5 (click "More boards, anyone?" ---> "Yes, I played it...." buttons in the AmigaGuide docs).

Quote:
-The unregistered version of 3.0 is on Aminet: http://aminet.net/package/game/misc/MegaBallAGA.
Yep, I know. Will add that along with links to the regged versions of V3.x, given that the Mackey brothers made all versions of MegaBall open source/freeware a few years ago.

Quote:
-Number of max players = 2.
-Screenshot #1 is not the ECS title screen. The font is incorrect and details in the upper right of the screen are missing. It should also say "non-AGA" next to the logo in dark red text. It may be from a hacked version.
Thanks! Yeh, I spotted those errors too and need to fix them. The correct OCS/ECS titlescreen is actually sitting in the same folder as the hacked one on my HD. Need to use separate folders for the different versions of MegaBall methinks.

Quote:
-Screenshots #2 and #7 have the same erroneous font.
-Screenshots #6, #8, and #9 are running on systems that are missing MegaBall.font (in which case it falls back to topaz/8).
I don't think the font issue is a big deal as it's fairly clear from the docs that the developers were happy for people to customise stuff like music, file requesters, fonts etc. in MegaBall to enhance their gaming experience. The alternate fonts shown in the screenshots aren't outrageously different. Besides, I can't be arsed re-ripping those screens at this point in time (sorry)! TBH I really need to make more screenshots and more varied ones (and have a good look at the board editor!), but I'm a bit time-poor atm.

Quote:
-Screenshots #3, #11, and #12 are not actually screenshots. They are layouts of the game's graphics that were included in the 4.0 source code release. They may be better suited for the Gamemap or Miscshot tabs under the 4.0 entry (several of the bricks in those graphics were only introduced in 4.0).
Yeh, I right and royally screwed that up and upped the gfx layouts for the wrong version of MegaBall. Yep, I snaffled them from the V4.0 source code archive too. Screenshot #3 would've made a nice AGA loading screen (or alternate titlescreen) IMHO, and I just assumed that it was used in V4.0 since it was in the source code archive. The irony is that I managed to nab an original copy of MegaBall 4 for not much off Ebay a few weeks ago, but I've only had time to give it a quick test boot and haven't actually investigated the game itself yet.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback! Keep an eye out for more HOL updates of MegaBall in the weeks/months to come.....

Last edited by DrBong; 19 September 2017 at 22:21. Reason: Added more info.

Page generated in 0.04608 seconds with 11 queries