View Single Post
Old 05 September 2017, 01:20   #13
MartinW

I had a play about with this today. I'm torn - it's impressive and something I was after a while ago, and yet it falls short and I find it frustrating. Mostly because it is old.

Before I go any further, it seems that 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade' as well as updating FS-UAE (which it does a bit) also breaks the system. It didn't boot for me after that.

The rest of this is probably not really targeted at the author of Amilator as such, more that Debian and Linux in general has changed a lot and I can't work stuff out! I had a bit of a hard time getting the USB stick to boot since my system is a Skylake system (very modern) but it does support fallback to booting non-efi devices, I just need to go into the BIOS menu every time to do it. Not the end of the world.

The real killer for me is that I can't work out how to get a better resolution out of it. My suspicion is that my GTX1080 is way too new however that's not a problem in itself. If only I could tell Linux to stick to 1024x768 or 1280x1024 then it will look pretty good and just have black borders. My monitor is 2560x1080 but it actually has a special side by side mode that works extremely well with 2 x 1280x1024 inputs. But try as I might I can't work out where to tell X to stick to 1280x1024 and not try to go any higher. To add insult to injury, I can't work out where grub is either.

I'm sure these are all solvable things but really it needs an update I think. Other than that, I was quite impressed. Having dissected it a bit I reckon I could probably produce something pretty much the same, but more recent, I just simply don't have the time.

Page generated in 0.04629 seconds with 11 queries