View Single Post
Old 17 August 2017, 00:19   #33
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
To be fair, after owning an accelerated Amiga for a long time, not too many years ago I had to install two A600s that were stock, and I cannot understand HOW I navigated through WB2 back in the day, on a 1 or 1MB 68000 machine, and even with an 8 color WB at times!!!! SO slow!
Ya, if you are doing anything more than popping in a game then a stock 68000 Amiga feels almost unbearable. I don't think I could go back.

Quote:
Dude 7 is already old :P And XP is "obsolete" in the way that support has been officially killed for it (save for the recent update to save XP systems from that worm).
XP runs perfectly fine and an anti-virus program takes care of most security problems. It would be the best choice for old PC hardware if developers would ignore M$ who benefits from the "obsolescence" of an old OS and hardware so it can sell new versions to the sheep.

Quote:
I've had 7 Pro 64-bit for like 6 years now and it's super smooth and fast.
Make sure you don't use that Aero garbage and the UI will become a lot more responsive. It would also help if your computer were more current too, though. Stuff like an i7 and an SSD help a lot.
I have all the "garbage" turned off and 7 is still much slower than XP. Even XP is slow. I had a XP laptop with Pentium M fan failure which dropped it back to 800MHz which is so many times faster CPU than my AmigaOS 3.9 68060@75MHz but it was unbearably slow as I could watch the screen update and I had to hold the mouse button down over buttons to get them to register. It is funny that you demand the fastest AmigaOS but tolerate a PC OS which is many times slower.

My i5 is Ivy Bridge which gives the following scores under Control Panel ->Performance Information and Tools.

Processor: 7.5
Memory: 7.7
Graphics: 6.5
Gaming Graphics: 6.5
Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

The i7 has multi-threading but this can actually hurt performance for games. My i5 outperforms my brothers early i7. I could use an SSD as disk performance is my bottleneck. I do know a bit about this stuff which helped me save some money as I paid less than $200 U.S. for the above performance which is adequate for playing all but the most demanding games.

Quote:
With all that said, my old Atom N280 still runs XP happily. 7 would definitely be a drag, but what do you expect when you try to install it on hardware that is 10 years old?
I expect an OS which does not get slower with each generation and an interface which is more responsive and streamlined for better productivity. Just because CPUs get faster is no excuse for the OS to get slower. With the end of Moore's law, this can not continue.

Page generated in 0.05365 seconds with 11 queries