View Single Post
Old 16 August 2017, 16:39   #27
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
Actually, MUI does not sleep well. Having a MUI program open in the background uses more CPU performance than it should. You can see this with a SnoopDOS/Snoopy type program and check out how many CopyMem() calls it does per second. This is not a problem when no MUI program is running but I think that is Akira's point.
Yeah, fair enough. I have to say I've never noticed anything feeling slower when MUI is running, but I don't run it on anything below an 030. And I suspect that if someone doesn't like MUI, they're hardly likely to have MUI applications loaded up everywhere. It's more a case that having it on the hard drive will make no difference, and it will be available on the rare occasion that you do actually want to try out YAM, or SimpleMail, or SongPlayer, or SWOSEd, or AmIRC, or WookieChat, or SimpleCat, or any one of a multitude of other MUI applications that might not necessarily have a decent equivalent.

Quote:
This comparison makes ClassAct/Reaction look inferior as it would be the "floppy" and MUI the "hard drive". MUI version 3.8 does have more functionality and polish than even the AmigaOS 3.9 Reaction but this was just lack of attention as can be seen with AmigaOS 4.x Reaction. They are both nearly limitless customizable OO GUIs. MUI does create its own style instead of following the Amiga style guide and it does more than it needs to which reduces performance and requires more resources.
Well, yes, that was kind of the point I was trying to make. ClassAct/RA do have fewer features and are a more basic level of toolkit, which has both advantages and disadvantages, just like when using floppies you can get away without a RAM expansion, whereas a hard drive practically demands one (=more resources). But the point of the comparison was more that you can miss out on a lot of functionality and nice software by needlessly sticking to your convictions, in effect cutting off your nose to spite your face. No, MUI is not nice, but by compromising and accepting the fact that it is a little bloated, you open yourself to a whole host of new things, without having to compromise your system in any way when they're not running. But, like people who insist on using floppies (and I suppose, using Amigas at all), I admire the dedication. Everyone has a limit as to how much convenience they give up for their hobby, and some go further than I personally think is needed.

Page generated in 0.04482 seconds with 11 queries