Thread: Ms Pacman
View Single Post
Old 08 August 2017, 09:10   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

About Pacman, check Pucman a nice shareware pacman clone for the miggy. Looks really neat

http://hol.abime.net/1174

@Old Bob I did the same "move the score trick" in my Bagman remake. And check Elite "effort" on Bombjack! what a waste...

Click image for larger version

Name:	bagman.png
Views:	227
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	54080

I had it finished, but that was slightly easier to do: using C++ & SDL on a "modern" PC gives a perfect rendering. I tried to port it on amiga, and it was darn slow even on a 68060. Probably runs ok on Vampire but what a waste. Dropping SDL is then a big step ahead in trouble, doing it old-style in assembly with blitter (maybe now with modern gcc it would be fast enough to use C++ code).

I really wonder how hard it would be to drop SDL for hardware banging but keep C++ code with all the A.I. etc, and how fast it would be. Not a job for me as I don't know enough about blitter & sprites & audio on the miggy.

Those kind of projects are unlikely to be a one-man job. One has to resource/code the exact behaviour of the arcade game (Mrs Pacman uses random for Ghost moves, even in "chase" mode, Pacman doesn't, only uses random when ghosts are scared BTW), and one has to code using the most efficient method on the miggy.

I know about Codetapper trying to re-code Gyruss old-style for ages... Lots of projects, but very rare complete releases (maybe Rygar?).

Page generated in 0.05179 seconds with 12 queries