View Single Post
Old 17 May 2017, 02:32   #16
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I'm interested to see where this goes, I actually think a stand-alone Apollo computer makes much more sense than attaching it to a 25 year old Amiga motherboard.

I expect that the new stand alone board (which is under development) will be more powerful than any of the Vampire boards.
The old hardware is cool but the new hardware can be so much more convenient and powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
natami, which kicked off all that movement was too ambitious, too complete and too complex a device to start with. the softcore that came into play shortly thereafter needed to be tested against a stable reference. therefore a simple accelerator design was more appropriate to introduce and to debug, taking an opportunity of engagement, a crowd of early adopters happened to provide. this is where we are now. subsequently adding features to cpu implementation an introduction of a standalone is a logical next step. but then im still more attracted by a potential a1200 version, funny enough.
Some people said the 68000 CPU project was too ambitious at the time. It had 16 general purpose 32 bit registers when most CPUs had 2-6 GP 8 bit registers. It was so complex that it needed extensive micro-coding to get it done in a reasonable amount of time. It was a huge risk starting a new radically different architecture but when it came out it almost put Intel out of of business.

Some people said the Amiga was too ambitious before it was released. It was supposedly too complex and too costly. Steve Jobs supposedly said it was too much hardware. People didn't know what could be done with it. It was so far ahead of its time that people didn't know what to do with it. It almost failed because of the financing and very easily could have but it didn't.

I disagree about the Natami. It was ahead of its time just like the 68k and the Amiga. The hardware was designed by a professional. The direction was right IMO. There were obstacles though. Many of the same obstacles I mentioned. It could have been a success just like the 68k and Amiga could have failed with slightly different circumstances. It isn't about fate but about choice. Everyone make choices and it affects everyone around us.

Page generated in 0.05884 seconds with 11 queries