View Single Post
Old 28 September 2016, 20:03   #7
Cherno

I finally loaded up my old savestate and finished the game.

Here are the things I learned after finishing the game (I actually finished it back then on a real Amiga first!):

As far as I can tell, you don't really need any of the class-specific skills, except for one: Mindblast. That means that you can take any classes you want, but I really recommend taking at least two Psi-Monks. Skills like pick lock can be substituted by readily available toolkits.

Speaking of lockpicking: If your character says that he can't do it right now, just keep on trying (remember that using the pick lock skills uses one strength) until the door opens. This counts for using the skills as well as a toolkit.

Combat in the game works like this:
Even with the most powerful guns (Plasma Rifle), you will end up using a ton of ammo to kill even one guy, so it's not really worth it having to lug a full inventory of ammo around for the few occasions where you have to fight. Chances are, you will have to buy new ammo after each fight. If you really have to, click on the Gen. Attack button as fast as you can and the enemy won't have a chance to shoot back.

The more efficient way to fight is to use your Psi-Monks' Mindblast which insta-kills all enemies in the game. The downside is that at lower character levels, it uses up a lot of your mind power which regenerates very slowly, but you can take essenses for a quick refill (or, if using WinUAE, hit END+BREAK for turbo mode (move to a safe spot first).

The disadvantage Psi-Monks have is their low strength (I think); It might make sense to take at least one strong character who can carry all the misc stuff like toolbox, scanner, compass, translator, and IR goggles.

One specific tip/bug: When one of your party members is taken hostage, and you reach the entrance to the hostage taker's hideout, you are told to put all items in your inventory on the floor before going in. Problem is, is a character has a gun with full ammo, he sometimes has also a magazine selected which he can't deselect; he says that he can't use the magazine because he has no gun that needs ammo. So you will have to find some unimportant NPS (one of the green soldiers, for example) and shoot him once. Then you can reload manually and the magazine will be gone.

BTW, an english translation of the German walkthrough is available here:

http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/whale...download/9272/

Last edited by Cherno; 29 September 2016 at 11:47.

Page generated in 0.04687 seconds with 11 queries