View Single Post
Old 26 November 2015, 14:56   #75
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
@readonlycat

Input remapping would be great, especially if keyboard keys could be assigned to keys on a gamepad/joystick.
Remember that my offer is conditional. When these bug reports are taken care of I'll add it.

Give and take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
It locks the MD pad in 2 button mode, so only buttons B and C will work (as Amiga buttons 2 and 1 respectively). Buttons A and Start won't do anything. For Flashback etc., Pin 5 on the Amiga side would have to be connected to pin 7 on the Megadrive pad side, and pin 7 from the Amiga would be disconnected from pin 7 on the Megadrive side. This will let the Amiga choose which bank of buttons to check, though I don't know off hand if this will let the pad work for games that don't support Megadrive pads as switching the banks of buttons also messes with the D pad.
As I explained, in order to obtain the more-than-2 buttons information a special protocol must be followed. Without this protocol, only two buttons will work.
Non-MegaDrive/Genesis-controller-aware games will not configure the Amiga button 3 line as an output so they will never see the additional buttons and will thus work normally in two button mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I would also add a 1K resistor to the pin 5 line at the Megadrive pad side to protect against the unusual scenario of using a 3-button Amiga mouse through this adaptor - this would cause a 5V short without the resistor, though why anyone would connect it like that is anyone's guess...

The C64 is far more likely to be damaged by a MD pad than the Amiga, so the diodes are possibly overkill if you're only ever using it on an Amiga.
I would say the diodes are indeed overkill, unless you go the full input/output via optoelectronic diodes there will always be a way to plug something that will eventually harm the Amiga. Adapters should clearly be labeled "MegaDrive controller only or Amiga will be damaged".

If users ignore warning labels they'll eventually plug something bad in anyway.

A short-protection on pin 7 (+5V Amiga side) can indeed be a good idea if the Amiga does not have one by default.

Page generated in 0.04540 seconds with 11 queries