View Single Post
Old 24 February 2015, 09:41   #56
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Instead I'd like to focus on something more achievable...bug fixing and improving 68K OS 3.x so we could use it on our Classic hardware and emulators (as a hobby!).
Although you could also use it on PPC and ARM hardware as a hobby, but I agree. What most of us really care about is the classic hardware. That's why we are here.

Quote:
Ideally you'd take the old 68k assembler code and refactor it to plain C, this is needed because there aren't many of the old assembler guys around
I think there are still more than enough 68k experts available. It makes no sense to slow down parts of the OS which already existed in working assembler code before - when your target it the classic Amiga.

Quote:
After refactoring the code you'd open-source it so that the community could work together to improve it.
The idea is good, and always has been, but the reality is that even if we had AmigaOS open-sourced that there would be dozends of groups who had their own idea about the future of AmigaOS. The result would be much worse than it is now.

I could only imagine an open source organization in the form like the BSDs. There is the "board", a group of a few "core developers", which are democratically elected by all developers every year. The core will decide about the direction of the development.

Page generated in 0.04749 seconds with 11 queries