English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.SPS (was CAPS) (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Nitro (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56333)

Eclipse 14 November 2010 12:49

Nitro

Hi,
I didn't realise until today there is no IPF of Nitro. Is it still due to bad mastering?? Or are all overwritten with the high scores?
Thanks.

Harry 14 November 2010 23:09

There are 4 Psygnosis Amiga games which use a very special encoding which would require special programming to support them as ipf. Nitro is one of them.
See http://www.softpres.org/wip:2003-04-04 for details.

Eclipse 15 November 2010 09:37

Wow, that's interesting.
So even with Kryo we still wouldn't be able to dump Psygnosis recording format disks?

IFW 15 November 2010 13:23

They are perfectly well dumped and have been even with Amiga.
The problem is that I never support data that is blindly stored in a file - and those games require a special encoding/decoding implemented in the analyser and ipf library.
Very small return for quite some work, so it has to wait.

SquawkBox 15 May 2021 06:26

@SPS Team
Care to reconsider :) ? That instant classic fails to load on my A500.

Galahad/FLT 15 May 2021 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SquawkBox (Post 1483795)
@SPS Team

If you go onto the file server and search "nitro scoopex", your problems are solved.

dlfrsilver 15 May 2021 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SquawkBox (Post 1483795)
@SPS Team

HFE v3 to run the game. I tested it, it works on my A500.

Nobby_UK 15 May 2021 16:28

What's the deal with the 'Unofficial' one ?

Arnie/SPS/Non TOSEC IPFs - Unofficial/Nitro (Europe,Australia)(Unofficial ipf)

StingRay 15 May 2021 16:55

The unofficial IPF is fine!

SquawkBox 15 May 2021 18:00

Let me rephrase : As far as the canonical cracked versions are concerned e.q. melnok's, the game loads fine. Trouble is it doesn't transition from Disk 1 (intro) to Disk 2. That's why a Scoopex version bearing the intro and the game on the same disk image is most welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 1483914)
The unofficial IPF is fine!

Just curious, what prevents this batch of IPF's from gaining official status then ? Some kind of reluctancy to cross the red line that was drawn by the big cheese @SPS :p ?

dlfrsilver 15 May 2021 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by SquawkBox (Post 1483934)
Let me rephrase : As far as the canonical cracked versions are concerned e.q. melnok's, the game loads fine. Trouble is it doesn't transition from Disk 1 (intro) to Disk 2. That's why a Scoopex version bearing the intro and the game on the same disk image is most welcome.

Just curious, what prevents this batch of IPF's from gaining official status then ? Some kind of reluctancy to cross the red line that was drawn by the big cheese @SPS :p ?

The IPF of Nitro, the current one, has blind data inside it. It is not described (like any IPF should be).

Galahad/FLT 15 May 2021 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SquawkBox (Post 1483934)

SPS made it clear right from the off, they would preserve any and all Amiga disks with the intention of them being able to be written back to floppy in the future.

There are 5 or so Psygnosis games where although SPS understands the format and knows it inside out, because this format was written blind with no checking of the data as it wrote to floppy, means that SPS cannot guarantee that what is in the IPF, will be correctly written to floppy.

So these 5 or so games were never officially released as IPF because of this issue.

Its basically SPS ensuring that anything contained in the IPF format is 100% verified so that its a trusted format.

They don't modify IPF files, they don't fix broken versions of games, they preserve them warts and all.

Its simply SPS being meticulous.

New Sky 25 April 2024 14:05

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 1483857)
If you go onto the file server and search "nitro scoopex", your problems are solved.

Just curious, does anybody know when was released that cracked version of Nitro ?

Thanks

SquawkBox 03 May 2024 15:45

Can't say for sure, but the ADF was posted in the zone in 2017. Intro (during startup, left click to watch intro, right click to play according to cracktro) of said release doesn't seem to load on my machine (no biggie).

Galahad/FLT 03 May 2024 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by SquawkBox (Post 1682509)
Can't say for sure, but the ADF was posted in the zone in 2017. Intro (during startup, left click to watch intro, right click to play according to cracktro) of said release doesn't seem to load on my machine (no biggie).

What is your machine?

SquawkBox 03 May 2024 20:04

1 Mo chip ECS A500 equipped with Gotek and latest FF

Galahad/FLT 03 May 2024 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SquawkBox (Post 1682565)
1 Mo chip ECS A500 equipped with Gotek and latest FF

Where does it fail?

There is nothing special about that setup, it works on AGA machines

SquawkBox 03 May 2024 22:18

The intro fails (again, not the game) to load, no error message, just a colored horizontal stripe flashing. Just to make things clear, it's the game itself that matters to me, so I am cool with your release. There is not much more that comes to mind, maybe related to the way it is packed inside the tracks (aka the ECS chipset that would have a hard time dealing with Shrinkler intricacies :o ) ?

Galahad/FLT 04 May 2024 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by SquawkBox (Post 1682578)
The intro fails (again, not the game) to load, no error message, just a colored horizontal stripe flashing. Just to make things clear, it's the game itself that matters to me, so I am cool with your release. There is not much more that comes to mind, maybe related to the way it is packed inside the tracks (aka the ECS chipset that would have a hard time dealing with Shrinkler intricacies :o ) ?

You sure you left it long enough?

It's very very very very slow to depack the intro on 68000

SquawkBox 04 May 2024 00:37

Ah, I've just seen it! Not to be nit picking, but I must say that colored stripe that displays while it's depacking is pretty seizure-inducing, not sure I will repeat the experience anytime soon :help .