English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Souverän Soccer [WIP] (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106184)

saimon69 10 March 2021 20:38

Souverän Soccer [WIP]

Souverän Soccer

Is a Soccer game in the style Super Formation Soccer (the super Nes one) for base AGA amigas in progress; don't know more but those are WIP videos i found on Facebook and youtube, weird nobody posted it here yet...

utri007 10 March 2021 22:25

looks nice.

lesta_smsc 10 March 2021 22:29

I'm impressed by the colour palate and smoothness of scroll. What happens when players/sprites start to move, is there significant slowdown?

vulture 11 March 2021 08:32

Looks great!

philgood1351fr 11 March 2021 15:16

looks great.
would love to play this game soon.

Daytona675x 09 April 2021 14:19

The latest progress video is here :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze1Z...A0axW&index=11

@saimon69
Thanks for posting!

@lesta_smsc
Quote:

What happens when players/sprites start to move, is there significant slowdown?
The players on-screen objects actually move already when the camera position changes, so no, the "real" logical movement and animation will have no significant impact on performance in terms of drawing. Of course the "AI" which controls the logical movement etc. won't be for free and one part of the challenge will be to optimize everything to not slow down.

@philgood1351fr
Quote:

would love to play this game soon.
Progress is good and I'm pretty much done with the playfield- and menu-system but there's zero ingame-logic yet and getting this real good and fast enough to stay at 50 frames on a stock A1200 will take lots of time and I can only allocate a few hours per week for this project.

DamienD 09 April 2021 15:22

Nice one Daytona675x :great

...and welcome to EAB ;)

Daytona675x 15 April 2021 00:21

@DamienD

@all
New wip video #12 is online:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...yr1OhOssiA0axW

Compared to the previous videos this one starts with the logo screen to give you a better idea of where we are right now. The following has been improved since the last video:
  • the zooming crowd got much extra love. It's now positioned with sub-pixel precision, there's zero tearing or other similar effects anymore, overall it's pretty much smooth as butter now. Compare it with the previous video side by side if you can.
  • the players movement is smoother now too. Very subtle, best to see when doing horizontal movements.
  • the game has to precalculate quite some stuff before the first match. The respective code has been cleaned up and partitioned so that it can easily be partially run beforehand to avoid a very long delay before the first match. Here in this video some precalculations are done during the logo and intro screen already, therefore the delay before the match is much smaller than before.

Basic A1200, 50Hz, full low-res PAL view, more than 500 colors visible at once.
Note: I used my new D520 RGB-to-HDMI converter for the frame-grabber's input this time. I forgot to turn off scanlines, make sure you turn on HD quality on youtube.

Reido 15 April 2021 02:09

This looks very promising. Like Sensi meets Striker. Looking forward to a demo!

Daytona675x 16 April 2021 12:25

@Reido
Thanks! It's a bit (actually "much") too early for a public demo, I mean, there's no game yet ;)
I provided three fellow Amiga friends of mine with the latest dev build. For now it's mostly about checking for problems with different accelerator boards.

Reido 16 April 2021 17:15

Keep up the good work so!

nikosidis 16 April 2021 18:27

I have A1200 Blizzard IV 030 if you need beta-testing.
I would also be glad to beta-test this game in general.
Just send me a pm if it is of any interest.
GFX looking great so far. Let's hope this will turn into a full, nice game :D
Could be a Sensible Soccer beater, but it is a long way.

Daytona675x 17 April 2021 10:24

@Reido
Will try ;)

@nikosidis
I didn't forget your help and support on Tower57 for AROS, so thanks for your offer, I'll get back to you for sure :)
And yes, it's still a long way!

utri007 18 April 2021 13:23

Looks good, hopefully you woun't forget OS4, will both both of them when released.

Another option would be to make this system friendly enough?

Daytona675x 18 April 2021 17:21

@utri007
Actually I don't care about OS4 or the other NG variants for this game.
This time it's about AGA 020 hardware banging fun. If it works with RunInUAE, fine, if not, bad luck. I'll just take care that it works with all 68k accelerators for which I get testers for, and WinUAE ;)

@all
Technical note: when testing the game on a Blizzard 1230 IV and a TF030, I got eventual screen corruption as you'd eventually get when triggering COPJMP1 when the blitter is active. The blitter was eventually active indeed, however, for copper-list switching I only rewrite COP1LC. The workaround was to switch off blitter DMA at the very end of the copper-list. I'm not too much into hardware bugs and don't know if this is a well known issue, maybe that info is useful for others.

Daytona675x 22 April 2021 08:54

New progress video #13 :)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...yr1OhOssiA0axW

Compared to the previous video there's now a nice state transition from the menu to the grass-playfield and back. For simplicity and because there aren't too many decent options considering the playfield's very complex and large copperlist and sprite limitations, I ended up with a classic horizontal curtain using DIWSTRT, DIWSTOP and DIWHIGH. That way I dont have to mess with the copperlist at all.

And while watching that you can also witness the very short loading times I promised: after the first "match" the heavy precalculation results are cached and further matches can start in very short time.

For now it has been successfully tested on stock A1200, different ACA 030 variants, Blizzard 1230 IV and a CD32 with Terrible Fire 330. However at the moment it freezes Márton's Apollo 1260, still investigating this issue using highly sophisticated $dff180 debugging techniques :cool

Thanks to Fondriesete, Miguel, Niko, Tony and Márton for testing!

vulture 22 April 2021 10:08

That's very nice progress m8!

nikosidis 22 April 2021 10:41

Thanks for doing this Daytona675x. Very exited about it :)
Amazing tech.. and huge potential to be something great.

Steve 22 April 2021 10:59

Looks very impressive. :great Maybe rename it to 'European Super League Soccer' :lol

Wavemaker 22 April 2021 16:54

The game you're basing it on looks like Taito World Cup with the perspective of Striker. Interesting concept :)

The playfield is really smooth too.