English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Next ST game port : Oids (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72992)

meynaf 20 March 2014 10:16

Next ST game port : Oids

As the title says, i've just made another game port from the Atari ST.
It can be found here : meynaf.free.fr/pr/oids.lzx

It was hard to find my way ; this one had TOS calls scattered everywhere and even GEM calls (trap #2), in addition to a very messy keyboard handling code, file i/o storing 16-bit handles where it should have not, and a fearsome protection scheme which i am not even sure to have fully removed.

But here it is. As i never played that one on the ST (and have no PC to run an emulator), it would be good if someone with a great knowledge of the game could test this version, to see if everything behaves as it should.

I'm not too confident with that one, many bugs are probably lurking in here, ready to explode in your face - so beware. Only thing i can say is that it seems to work for me.

I don't think i'll make any more game ports, at least for some time. I now prefer writing my own game from scratch.

tomcat666 20 March 2014 11:27

Omg... GREAT conversion (after 5 minutes of play) ... what are requirements ? It seems it won't work on 68000, just 020 and up ?

daxb 20 March 2014 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by meynaf (Post 944704)
I don't think i'll make any more game ports, at least for some time. I now prefer writing my own game from scratch.

Good decision. :D I`ll test your port later and report.

Retroplay 20 March 2014 18:20

Bootable adf in the zone.

As usual, this is very unofficial, don't bother Meynaf if this doesn't work on your Amy. ;)

Frog 20 March 2014 20:34

Thanks for your hard work.

for people who would like to know how the game look's like : http://www.atarilegend.com/games/gam...p?game_id=2331

Greyfox 20 March 2014 21:51

Wow amazing, will test the adf via uae4droid on my android tablet :)

Many thanks for your efforts

earok 20 March 2014 22:06

Looks fantastic, thanks :)

Retro-Nerd 20 March 2014 22:25

Thanks meynaf, looks really great. But you can't shoot via joystick fire button. Any chance that you fix this? :)

BarryB 20 March 2014 23:38

WHDLOAD, won't work on my 060 :crying

Greyfox 21 March 2014 01:56

Yes I could fire either with the joystick button, also scenary was also missing or moved above from were it should be, now mind I was running this on uae4droid under a1200 wb3.1 standard settings, but its 95% there so far, maybe that security you mentioned is causing this ?

tomcat666 21 March 2014 06:55

Yep, shooting doesn't work on WinUAE here either :( Didnt see any scenery moves though.

daxb 21 March 2014 11:45

I don`t know the original game. Here on A1200 040/40 gameplay (movement) is stuttering. Ship reacts a bit slow. Joystick fire doesn`t work but keyboard fire works. When I hit fire the ship moves forward (shoot direction). So the ship moves into the opponent you want to shoot. I guess the opposite would correct.

phx 21 March 2014 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by meynaf (Post 944704)
As the title says, i've just made another game port from the Atari ST.

Great! My favourite Atari game, finally on the Amiga! :)

Quote:

But here it is. As i never played that one on the ST
I played it a lot over the last 20 years and it looks quite good for the first version.

Some issues I noticed:

- The title screen / menu / highscore list background is orange. In the original version I remember it was grey.
- The whole change key selection window is flashing red.
- You cannot assign the Ctrl/Alt/Shift key there.
- Menu item [CHANGE KEYS] remains grey after leaving the function.
- Problem with keyboard handling in the game. I use cursor up for thrust, left for turn left, right for turn right. When pressing those keys fast or at the same time they get stuck (ship keeps turning, for example).
- When playing with joystick the fire button doesn't work. I have to use right-shift instead?
- After pressing Q in the game the whole Y/N requester box is flashing red.

Will continue testing over the weekend.

Quote:

I can only recommend that! :great

turrican3 21 March 2014 14:44

there still only one game i would like to see on amiga, it's karateka.
But it's sure, it's better to make a new game.

Mclane 22 March 2014 11:35

Thanks for that port, excellent..

Adropac2 22 March 2014 14:38

I was just playing this last night. I love you

BarryB 22 March 2014 16:53

You could always use STEEM and play the original till this port gets better :agree

Adropac2 23 March 2014 17:18

The only real issue is from the moment keys register. The shooting of cannon for example should be an almost instant stream of bullets the moment you press the key but this is delayed for about half a second. It's quite a breaker really

Not that I'm not grateful for the effort done on this at this point

Anyone that has played a lot of Oids will know that joystick is actually a bit awkward in truth compared to keyboard. Shield has to be applied on and off rather than simply depressed and quick shield recharging requires you hold down the space anyway when using joystick. This sort of game just suits keys like Asteroids before it

meynaf 24 March 2014 08:28

Well, for a bit of precision : the game needs 020 because it performs Atari screen conversion each frame.

The keyboard/joystick issues are not surprising. The code handling these wasn't exactly nice...

Can someone perform a comparison with the original ST version (directly, not from memory) and tell me all differences ?

TCD 24 March 2014 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by meynaf (Post 945640)
Can someone perform a comparison with the original ST version (directly, not from memory) and tell me all differences ?

You mean like this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nittamituaki (Post 944955)
I made a table about comparison (ST version and this port).
http://nitta.sakura.ne.jp/kari/oids-...320version.png

And,
"Hoppoids" Galaxy didn't exist in the original retail version, did it?
Do you know detail about this Galaxy?

?