English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Amix (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Amix in WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67210)

Amiga_CDTV 28 February 2014 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageBytes (Post 940636)
So for now, I'm searching for a cool background picture

I think the one in your screenshot is most appropriate for the theme :) What resolution would be good?

I just put my WinUAE-installed-Amix-2.1-HDD into my A3000T and it works! Awesome!

vintageBytes 28 February 2014 14:56

@Noth:
you need to edit the file "system.twmrc" located in /usr/X11R5/lib/X11/twm

The background picture was set with xv. It deals with jpegs, gifs but has some problems with bigger image sizes... I have to check here... I will try to install the X server on my real 3000T, where I can exchange data easier.

Noth 28 February 2014 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageBytes (Post 940677)
@Noth:
you need to edit the file "system.twmrc" located in /usr/X11R5/lib/X11/twm

The background picture was set with xv. It deals with jpegs, gifs but has some problems with bigger image sizes... I have to check here... I will try to install the X server on my real 3000T, where I can exchange data easier.

Yep or each user can set their settings in ~/.twmrc . Xv was the first graphical program I learned to use back in 1997 on Solaris 2.5.1 at Uni.... ah the memories of running AfterStep v0.9... (wish that would compile and work in AMIX, sigh...).

ftp://ftp.x.org/R5contrib/ seems to have some interesting stuff including new widgets, I'm going to see what I can make of it, possibly a nice AMIX theme pkg.

mark_k 28 February 2014 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noth (Post 940672)
@Toni I also tested all the ZorroII cards emulated for RTG screens, only the PicassoII & II+ work in X11R4. Going to boot win8.1 and try the others in X11R5 now it works for me just to make sure...

I booted the HDF you uploaded in WinUAE/Wine and X works for me with Piccolo and EGS Spectrum cards too.

amilo3438 28 February 2014 16:38

1 Attachment(s)
quote: "More than a Toy ..." -> Review of the Amiga 3000UX system

quote: "These days, Amiga UNIX is all about history and learning." -> Why AMIX

yeah, history and learning ... + curiosity :)

EDIT: quote: "I have seen the light and it is called /usr/amiga/bin/fractal" -> Amiga 3000UX first impressions :D :great

EDIT2: some more infos -> quote "Amiga 3000UXB" ?! -> Amiga 3000UX

Noth 28 February 2014 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_k (Post 940686)
I booted the HDF you uploaded in WinUAE/Wine and X works for me with Piccolo and EGS Spectrum cards too.

Confirmed here too but Piccolo SD64 doesn't work. Haven't been able to test PicassoIV because I can't work out how to specify where the rom for it is...

Other observations: xv will crash and dump core if you try to load jpegs as background via this command:
Code:

xv bla.jpg -root -quit
. If you convert the jpeg to a TIFF with xv, it will then open it using the above command without a problem, so you can add that to .xinitrc before loading twm and have a nice background right from the start!

Now we've got twm & tvtwm working nicely in colour, how about getting OpenLook to work too? it provides a lot more of a desktop ... But it barfs on a missing font when started in colour X:
Code:

OPEN LOOK Toolkit Error in application "olfm": Could not find the OPEN LOOK font:  d12lucida.snf
You'd think that font would be there...

mark_k 28 February 2014 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noth (Post 940693)
Confirmed here too but Piccolo SD64 doesn't work. Haven't been able to test PicassoIV because I can't work out how to specify where the rom for it is...

Probably the Cirrus Logic X server just doesn't support the different (vs Picasso II/Piccolo/Spectrum) CL chip in Piccolo SD64 and Picasso IV.

I have picasso_iv_flash.rom in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\WinUAE and that works for me (using Wine).

Toni Wilen 28 February 2014 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by amilo3438 (Post 940658)
you have "Fastest possible" and also "More compatible" option turned on !!! ... not sure how this could work together ?!

It does something in fastest possible non-MMU modes. Currently more compatible does nothing (and should not be enabled because it may do something in future. Cycle-exact shouldn't be enabled either, it may also do something in future)

Quote:

Edit: Maybe Toni could include in next WinUAE beta a new Quickstart configuration for AmigaUnix too like f.e. A3000UX. :)
Quite useless because only difference (vs A3000) is harddrives panel and what is mounted in harddrives and tape drives.

Quote:

Haven't been able to test PicassoIV because I can't work out how to specify where the rom for it is...
It must be in Paths panel ROM path directory.

Amiga_CDTV 28 February 2014 17:31

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by amilo3438 (Post 940692)
quote: "More than a Toy ..." -> Review of the Amiga 3000UX system

That was interesting. Amiga 3000UXG ?! Googling that reveals something interesting from Google groups (very old stuff)

for example:

Quote:

This reminds me to point out that even though Commodore "reduced" its Unix development staff, it is still useful to send bug reports to bugs(at)amix.commodore.com. There are still people at Commodore who read these reports and at least consider fixing them (although their resources are rather limited). And some of the original developers still have access to the bug list and volunteer their knowledge or theories about problems when they are reported.
There are also posts by "Jan Carlson, janc(at)amix.commodore.com, Product Assurance".

I got my A3000T set up! It has now a 1 GB HDD (250 MB for WB3.1, 675 MB for Amix Root and 103 MB for Swap) and it boots by default into WB (clean install + BetterWB + AmigaExplorer for file transfers) and by selecting the Amix boot partition in Early Startup Menu it boots into Amix. Now this is awesome! :great

Noth 28 February 2014 17:45

Amiga_CDTV & vintageBytes, do you have a compatible RTG card in your A3000s ? Would be interesting to see if OpenLook works on those... or even better an A2410 (rare as hell I know) since that doesn't require any additional drivers. OpenLook would take from "basic X11" to "mhhh... nice AMIX!".

amilo3438 28 February 2014 19:19

@Amiga_CDTV

Amiga Amix needs a 3 button mouse (as one shown on pic. you posted above) ...

now wonder does the "mouse wheel" on PC could be used in WinUAE to simulate the 3rd button (I have unchecked in Misc. panel "Untrap=middle button")

and how to test does it works -> maybe on this: /usr/amiga/bin/fractal ... but unfortunately it seems doesnt work for me, or this is wrong test case ?!

Amiga_CDTV 28 February 2014 19:23

I have actually no idea what the middle button does :) I clicked around and it seems to be something to do with selecting text.

@Noth: I don't have a boards in my 3000T, it's in a very custom case and I haven't even tried to fit any boards inside it. If I find something reasonably priced, I might give it a go.

amilo3438 28 February 2014 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amiga_CDTV (Post 940719)
I have actually no idea what the middle button does :) I clicked around and it seems to be something to do with selecting text.

In X11R5 if select some text with LMB and if now move the mouse cursor somewhere else and press "mouse wheel" it will paste the selected text. :)

p.s. The LMB select beginning of text, RMB select the end and MMB (or mouse wheel) just paste the selected text.

Noth 28 February 2014 21:29

Usually you can press both mouse buttons down to simulate the middle one... Might just work in AMIX's twm session.

Noth 28 February 2014 22:36

Another funny old X11 program is bitmap. It allows you to create basic black & white bitmaps... save as a .xbm and you can use xsetroot -bitmap yourbitmap.xbm to create a nifty (not really...) tiled background! Just in case you're not getting on with xv, which is the swiss army knife of graphic format changers and displayers.

EDIT: One last thing... unsurprisingly Piccolo seems to work much faster for me. What's the most powerful of the lot? PicassoIV?

Noth 28 February 2014 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_k (Post 940694)
Probably the Cirrus Logic X server just doesn't support the different (vs Picasso II/Piccolo/Spectrum) CL chip in Piccolo SD64 and Picasso IV.

I have picasso_iv_flash.rom in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\WinUAE and that works for me (using Wine).

Confirmed not working, now I've named & placed the rom properly. Thanks both!

Toni Wilen 01 March 2014 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noth (Post 940752)
EDIT: One last thing... unsurprisingly Piccolo seems to work much faster for me. What's the most powerful of the lot? PicassoIV?

From real hardware point of view PicassoIV is fastest (only one with GD5446 chip). Emulation of course does not have any speed differences, just like emulated 68040 or 060 won't be any faster than 68020. (PicassoIV can also be slowest in worst case, JIT + Z2 PIV = slower than any other board and Z3 PIV)

Piccolo and PicassoII use same chip (5426), there should not be speed differences, unless driver uses cirrus logic blitter differently.

Note that speed is very low priority feature with 68030 MMU. 68030 MMU is extremely complex compared to 68040+ MMUs.

amilo3438 01 March 2014 19:27

@ Noth & vintageBytes

I start /usr/amiga/bin/fractal in both Amix HDF installations and notice following:

1) In basic X11R4 HDF from Noth (post #153) is possible to use LMB and make rectangle for further zooming. :great

2) In X11R5 HDF from vintageBytes (post #155) is not possible to make rectangle at all ?! :confused

Now wondering, is the problem between X11R versions or something is wrong with X11R5 installation ?!

Btw.
Why in both installations is not possible to run olinit ?
(Is it possible to have both olinit & xinit to exist on same X11R installation ? ... and thus in one virtual screen have opened olinit and in other xinit ?! :cool)

EDIT: Probably has nothing with X11R versions as LMB (to make zoom rectangle in fractal) also not working in plain Amix 2.1c HDF installation from vintageBytes (post #128) !!! :shocked

(p.s. Ok, on this plain 2.1c version exist olinit and xinit, but it is also not possible to have both display managers running at the same time ... ie in different virtual screens !!! ... hm, maybe should work if create some new user login ?! -> tried but unfortunately also not possible. )

Noth 02 March 2014 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by amilo3438 (Post 940930)
@ Noth & vintageBytes

Btw.
Why in both installations is not possible to run olinit ?
(Is it possible to have both olinit & xinit to exist on same X11R installation ? ... and thus in one virtual screen have opened olinit and in other xinit ?! :cool)

(p.s. Ok, on this plain 2.1c version exist olinit and xinit, but it is also not possible to have both display managers running at the same time ... ie in different virtual screens !!! ... hm, maybe should work if create some new user login ?! -> tried but unfortunately also not possible. )

olinit doesn't work because it can't find a font... In fact none of the ol* binaries work because of that. I can't work out why it works in black&white with the Commodore X server and not with colour X11R4 or X11R5. And it's definitely on my list of things to fix!

X should be able to run multiple instances of itself, such as X :0 and X :1 and each you could have the windowmanager of your choice... Going to give it a go just to see if on such an old version it works but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't... apart from lack of ram of course. 16Megs may not be sufficient.

mark_k 02 March 2014 14:37

Just wondering, for people running WinUAE under Wine (or running an X server in Windows)...

Has anyone tried running X programs in Amix, but setting the display so the program opens on the native Linux desktop? Or vice versa, running Linux programs and having them appear on the Amix X desktop? Hopefully that should be possible by setting up the correct ports for slirp.