English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WinUAE for Mac OS X? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=48665)

Pyromania 08 November 2009 23:42

WinUAE for Mac OS X?

Mac OS X is a great operating system but to put it lightly UAE sucks balls on it. I do know Toni hates PPC but I don't know if he does not like OS X. I am willing to give Tony a Intel based Mac and $1000 to port WinUAE to Mac OS X. Is anyone else in this with me and does Toni even like that idea?

Hungry Horace 09 November 2009 00:01

i manage ok with e-uae on OSX. it runs perfectly well, there are just a few things that need improvement. Development seems to have stopped, however, which i find frustrating on both OSX and on Linux. (actually more so on Linux because those bugs hinder my usage of it on the PS3)

However, if winuae was ported to OSX i would use it without a doubt, and if you want to offer $1000 and a nice shiney Mac to Toni, then i'll back that 100% :)

prowler 09 November 2009 00:07

You would be better off spending your money on Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac and running WinUAE in that.

Windows applications will generally run faster in Parallels Desktop than when ported to Mac OS X.

StingRay 09 November 2009 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyromania (Post 613902)
I am willing to give Tony a Intel based Mac and $1000 to port WinUAE to Mac OS X.

What is this supposed to show? That you have too much money to spare? I really do not like such posts (and I censor myself here as otherwise this post would really not be nice to read!), do you think money will solve all problems or make it more "fun" to port something?

Leffmann 09 November 2009 00:16

I would love to see WinUAE ported to OS X too. I have a lot of respect for Toni and I admire him for sticking to WinUAE and putting in so much time and effort and letting the rest of us benefit from it for free, but I have to say it's a shame it wasn't done with portability in mind from the start.

It's a very commendable donation from you Pyro. Even if I could give away a Mac and $1000 like that I'm not sure I would. I would consider a smaller donation like $10-20 though, and if more people feel the same then maybe we could raise the donation enough to find Toni's sweet spot so to speak :)

wilshy 09 November 2009 00:18

Don't get me wrong I'd love the versatility of WinUAE but been using e-UAE on the Mac for nearly 3 years now & it hasn't been troubled by anything I throw at it. From a full on Workbench to some classic aga demos. All run pretty decently especially since it's last update with OpenGL rendering & uni binaries.

Hungry Horace 09 November 2009 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 613913)
You would be better off spending your money on Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac and running WinUAE in that.

Windows applications will generally run faster in Parallels Desktop than when ported to Mac OS X.

i've tried it and it's not a great experience tbh, plus you have to boot windows!

edit: if you're going to do that, you might as well just use BootCamp and be running Windows natively.

Fred the Fop 09 November 2009 02:30

Well, I use Fusion 3.0 with WinUAE, as well as Hi-Toro, which is light years better on an Intel Mac than my old PPC G4. No need, at least for me, for Toni to work on an Intel WinUAE.

Pyromania 09 November 2009 02:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 613914)
What is this supposed to show? That you have too much money to spare? I really do not like such posts (and I censor myself here as otherwise this post would really not be nice to read!), do you think money will solve all problems or make it more "fun" to port something?

No it shows that I use Windows less and less and want a OS X version of WinUAE.

Retro1234 09 November 2009 08:05

What about trying Wine?

cosmicfrog 09 November 2009 08:50

yep I often wondered if wine works on osX
in my opinion Pyromania your targeting the wrong person and should find a developer of equal worth in the mac community

chiark 09 November 2009 09:28

I'm using VMWare fusion 3 and WinUAE... It works quite nicely.

Toni Wilen 09 November 2009 16:30

Sorry, I can't accept this offer. I do something because I want to do it, money does not matter. (for example I absolutely do not want to learn yet another assembly language or how "other" operating systems handle display, sound etc), also I won't and can't make any guarantees. Never. Sooner or later the complaints start if I have to promise something.

Anyway, IMHO this needs to made in small parts, for example one task would be rewrite of the GUI with something portable (like wxwidgets, MUST use native GUI elements, I hate "alien" GUIs) There is no point in having multiple GUI parts etc..

GUI rewrite is something I can volunteer, someday.. Anything that makes it more portable without taking "lowest common denominator API" path is fine with me.

You realy need someone who knows OSX specific programming (plus preferably C, Amiga and Windows knowledge) I am not interested.

Leffmann 09 November 2009 16:30

I doubt you'll find an OS X dev who will gladly dive into the WinUAE source. It's so extensive that it will take a big effort to even get a decent understanding of it. The only one who seems to be able to even get it to compile on its intended Windows target without asking the help of others is Toni himself!

I run WinUAE through VirtualBox with the Direct 3D addon installed. There are some glitches and stretched graphics here and there and the mouse and keyboard interaction through the virtualization is a bit sluggish, but none of the alternatives I tried were any better.

Pyromania 09 November 2009 16:32

No worries Toni, WinUAE works great on my Aspire One netbook that boots Android and XP. I might also pick up one of those new sexy Sony laptops that have HDMI out.

@cosmicfrog

We bought the commercial version of Wine (Crossover) and it did not run WinUAE nicely for us.

gilgamesh 09 November 2009 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungry Horace (Post 613912)
i manage ok with e-uae on OSX. it runs perfectly well, there are just a few things that need improvement. Development seems to have stopped, however, which i find frustrating on both OSX and on Linux.

There is a recent heir to e-uae called p-uae.
http://github.com/GnoStiC/PUAE

Dic_Ray 09 November 2009 22:15

I agree with Pyromania to encourage Toni to port WinUAE to Mac OS X. Even I would participate in a donation action. Would like to let the dream come true.

Why we can't initiate a Bounty for this?

Pyromania 09 November 2009 22:18

@Dic_Ray

I'll setup a bounty for this today, Toni is not interested though so we will have to attract another coder/coders for it.

cosmicfrog 09 November 2009 22:23

I`ll repeat for those that .......

Encourage a person from the mac community

Toin is willing to help

I`m not crapin the idea as I think its a good one, just need to find the right ppl

Pyromania 09 November 2009 22:47

Bounty page is now up, please donate if you want to see a more modern version of UAE for Mac OS X.

http://www.discreetfx.com/UAE-OSX.html