English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lyra 3 vs SUM USB - Any ideas which is better? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=112168)

AlphaAmiga 17 October 2022 14:12

Lyra 3 vs SUM USB - Any ideas which is better?

Im looking at doing an overhaul on my towered A1200, part of that is switching from the PCKey 1200.

I am aware my current 2 best options are the Lyra 3 and SUM USB adaptors.

I know the Lyra 3 is PS/2 and although practically a "dead" standard, keyboards are plentiful and generally cheaper than USB (plus I've read they are much more compatible with the Amiga through the adaptor than USB?).

Obviously the SUM adaptor will allow USB keyboards to be used and is more future proof and I believe I could use wireless keyboards with this(?) (but this isn't really a deal breaker for me).

Are their any know drawbacks to either? Does anyone have any experience with either/both that could make a recommendation?

Many thanks

Aardvark 17 October 2022 16:10

When I was using SUM 1200, it had problem with simultaneous key presses, but firmware changelog says it's fixed now, haven't confirmed though. In that case the only advantage of the Lyra is that it is remappable.

tygre 17 October 2022 16:26

Hi AlphaAmiga!

Good idea :)

I have actually both and I like them both. Only (other) problem with the SUM USB: I cannot update the firmware of mine for no visible reason: it doesn't enter its "flashing" mode anymore...

Take care!

AlphaAmiga 17 October 2022 16:37

Thanks Aardvark and tygre.

So potentially some issues hardware wise with the SUM - but obviously these could just be isolated incidents.

Ill probably hang fire to see if I get anymore information from others before I take the plunge.

Although I'm not in a rush at the moment, its one of those where if I don't get it started my A1200 will lye around in bits for months on end :D

Thomas Richter 17 October 2022 18:05

Well, I have the Lyra3 here and it's working quite nicely without issues, and the feature that I can adjust the keymapping is something I appreciate as I like my control key to the left and caps-lock somewhere else where it does not get into my way. But then again, I wrote the programming tool for it.

Leon Besson 17 October 2022 18:29

What’s the issue with the PC-Key 1200? I use these on my Towered and Checkmate 1200 systems. Although I do use a CD-TV keyboard and converter cable. Great setup for me.

AlphaAmiga 17 October 2022 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon Besson (Post 1569819)
What’s the issue with the PC-Key 1200? I use these on my Towered and Checkmate 1200 systems. Although I do use a CD-TV keyboard and converter cable. Great setup for me.

Don't get me wrong the PC-Key 1200 has served me well, but I want to try and move to something a little more modern (plus I believe that the PC-Key 1200 is not great at simultaneous key presses).

Jma80 18 October 2022 07:09

I have Sum and it works fine with newest firmware. Big advantage to me is to be able to use wireless keyboard.

Nobby_UK 18 October 2022 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon Besson (Post 1569819)

I still use my PC-Key 1200.

But when my 600 went bad I tried the Clip on Chip jobbie,
was even wireless for a while ---
but eventually got a Hard Membrane.