English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Amiga Game Factory (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Supercars 2 AGA (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106982)

jotd 16 May 2021 00:12

Supercars 2 AGA

I've been tinkering with the idea of doing something with the original supercars2 source code that someone sent me and that's it

rebuilt & adapted to AGA screens ripped from Supercars International (a 1996 DOS game)

This is a start, not really working properly (some graphics are corrupt in-game because of some memory management error I have to track down) but

most intro screens use AGA modes. Title screen uses 190 colors, other screens use 100 colors. Original uses EHB with a total of 64 colors.

There's still a lot to do. I'm also going to convert all communication screens to use the DOS more colored versions and if possible change grey enemy cars to colored enemy cars (ATM main game is ECS). We'll see if it's doable.

Zoned the pre-alpha game. Uses whdload to start, but planning to create a non-whdload version. Enjoy. Remember: there are gfx bugs in-game. But ATM the point is to demonstrate that the game can be enhanced with AGA screens.

DamienD 16 May 2021 03:00

Haven't tried as yet, but sounds very tasty indeed :great

Always wanted "Super Cars International" with high resolution / colour graphics on the Amiga ;)

Gzegzolka 16 May 2021 08:52

Another great initiative. We are living in very interesting times :)

jotd 16 May 2021 09:01

It's high coulour but low resolution. The DOS version was 320x240 max (and I'm wasn"t going to change that either and use interlace!)

The original code was pretty easy to understand. Shaun Soutern is a very talented coder but isn't a demo coder either. Everything is simple yet efficient. I don't think I'm allowed to share the code. If I can, I will.

I'm not sure at all if I can add colours to the main game (colored cars). That will be the next big challenge, game using EHB and all. But surprisingly adding 2 or 3 planes it's not as difficult as I thought at least for static images / car animation

It's really interesting times, yes. Sometimes I regret that those times didn't happen say 10 or 20 years before. Everything existed (except for the superb vasm assembler maybe). But WinUAE has been kicking ass since 2000. I remember installing it on my Pentium 3 in 2001 with RTG and all. Well maybe it's the combination of all free/powerful cross development tools (notepad++/vasm/graphical editors/emulators/Bartman VS plugin) that make all that possible (cfou! did the same kind of rework on Eye Of the Beholder 1 and 2, I think it was at least 10 years ago, I think he used his amiga only)

Also using whdload to develop the game is a pretty good way to catch errors before the machine crashes. It's really very helpful.

modrobert 16 May 2021 10:36

Looks promising, runs fine on my stock A1200 with fastram except for some screen glitches here and there.

jurassicman 16 May 2021 11:05

I look forward to try this, one of the best games ever!
Keep up the good work and thanks! :)

rare_j 16 May 2021 11:17

This is a great project, thanks!
Is it possible to create a true 60hz version of the game, that is, one that runs at 60hz refresh, but with the same gameplay and music speed as at 50hz?

nelsn68k 16 May 2021 11:27

An AGA version would be great.

jotd 16 May 2021 16:04

original supercars 2 runs in NTSC so it's possible.

nikosidis 16 May 2021 17:34

Great idea and looking forward to try this.
Keep on the great work :)

Superman 16 May 2021 20:04

There doesn't seem to be an icon to click on to run it. I tried making one in directory opus from the slave file but it didnt work.

jotd 16 May 2021 20:04

new update in the zone

- no more gfx corruption (address overlap)
- files are RNC packed
- code runs in fast memory. Didn't test on a real amiga but this is probably the first MF game to run from fastmem.
- added icon :) (icon must be a project and must have "whdload" as default tool)

more to come

Superman 16 May 2021 20:06

whoa that was quick :bowdown

CFou! 16 May 2021 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1484180)
new update in the zone

- no more gfx corruption (address overlap)
- files are RNC packed
- code runs in fast memory. Didn't test on a real amiga but this is probably the first MF game to run from fastmem.
- added icon :) (icon must be a project and must have "whdload" as default tool)

more to come

great job :great

ransom1122 17 May 2021 10:45

Nice work jotd :great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwSZ...channel=Ransom

Gzegzolka 17 May 2021 10:53

Definitely cool work :)

Neil79 17 May 2021 11:10

:bowdown:bowdown

earok 17 May 2021 14:02

Very cool work as always JOTD :great

I was actually wondering if the framerate could be boosted so that it's comparably smooth with the DOS version, if this hasn't already been investigated and ruled out?

jotd 17 May 2021 14:10

ransom thanks for the video

Yeah about the framerate, I'm going to try to do something, but I suspect that the scrolling uses the blitter and I'm not going to adapt it to "amiga" scrolling (I wonder how hard it would be, specially in 2 player mode!)

The current AGA version has code which runs in fast memory. I didn't test on real hardware but maybe it improved the speed, and maybe framerate can be upped? but if it depends on the blitter, I'm not sure it will do any good (specially because going AGA means that we'll go from 6 EHB bitplanes to 7 or 8 AGA bitplanes, but we can also say "screw AGA" and use the extra power for better framerate. We'll see)

rzookol 17 May 2021 14:29

btw. Could similar things be done to add Vikings table to Pinball Illusion?