English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Carrier Command: I completed it (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106190)

Foebane 11 March 2021 09:13

Carrier Command: I completed it

It was back in the summer of 1990 on my Atari 520STFM, but I vividly remember spending HOURS on this game when I got it as part of my Atari pack, and I did it in an unconventional way.

If I remember, I started on an Action game rather than Strategy, so our carriers didn't start off on opposite sides of the island archipelago. I'd practiced for a bit before about confronting the enemy carrier so I was ready, so that when the game started, I travelled north of the start island, waited for the enemy carrier to visit it and then turned back, unleashing my army of aircraft and amphibious vehicles onto it, as well as my laser turret. I sank it within a couple of minutes.

All that left was for me to convert all of the islands in the archipelago by myself, with no opposition, which would've taken ages in the Strategy game with the enemy carrier doing the same.

I remember it took me 99% of the time to play the game just to travel from island to island, doing whatever it took to convert them back to my side, and it wasn't entirely boring. However, at one point, I misjudged the fuel situation on a particularly long trip and almost ended up dead in the water, but I managed to resolve it, but I don't remember how.

So this is how I beat Carrier Command, a fascinating game which was possibly my first 16-bit experience. Rather unconventional way to beat it, but it still counts.

mrv2k 11 March 2021 11:02

Carrier Command was one of the main reasons I upgraded from a Speccy 128k to an A500. It was also the first Amiga game I bought.

gimbal 11 March 2021 11:02

Carrier Command: easy mode. You must have the patience of a saint.

CodyJarrett 11 March 2021 11:09

What happens at the end when you take all the islands?

dreadnought 11 March 2021 11:22

It's still in my backlog, +3 decades later. Mostly because I did not have the manual back then, and couldn't figure what it's all about.

Amazing game, well ahead of its time.

alexh 11 March 2021 11:45

I tried playing Carrier Command : Gaea Mission when it came out in 2012. Fun, nostalgia but the AI was just not quite right.

I loved the audio cassette tape that came with CC. Studio music done by Uncle Art aka Dave Lowe. I tried for many years in the early 00's to find him (he left games mid 90s) and eventually his son contacted me, we became acquaintances and I encouraged him to make a new studio album of his best work. His daughter made a documentary film about him which you can watch on Amazon Prime. Very good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uncle-Art-D.../dp/B07Z8G5CF9

Foebane 11 March 2021 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by CodyJarrett (Post 1469322)
What happens at the end when you take all the islands?

The usual congratulatory message you get in such games, I think. It was over 30 years ago, I can't remember for sure now.

Dunny 11 March 2021 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadnought (Post 1469325)
It's still in my backlog, +3 decades later. Mostly because I did not have the manual back then, and couldn't figure what it's all about.

When I first started seriously playing games on the Amiga, a friend gifted me a pack of cracked disks (compilations mostly) and one had Carrier Command on it. I spent months learning how to play it (no manual, natch) and that was actually the best part - just constantly amazed at how deep that game was.

Eventually beat it in strategy mode and loved every second.

Anubis 11 March 2021 13:16

One of many games I never finished... :(

Fiery Phoenix 11 March 2021 13:18

Hasn't a remake just been announced? Or Carrier Command 2 as it is known now. Saw it in the Metro in Dec 2020 - see it is advertised in Steam for a Spring 2021 release

gimbal 11 March 2021 13:38

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...ier_Command_2/

Publisher: Microprose Software. Another blast from the past.

dreadnought 11 March 2021 13:45

Seems it's one of the games from "revived" MicroProse. It's probably my favourite dev from the retro era, unfortunately their site looks very basic and it might reflect the quality of this operation. Guess we have to wait and see.

Seiya 11 March 2021 15:51

very difficult game but so beautiful graphics in that year.

this is the best modern version of Carrier Command:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/6..._Gaea_Mission/

manossg 11 March 2021 16:30

One of the best Amiga games for me, it has aged extremely well in my opinion.

I have heard that there is a 'cheat' with which you can speed up your travel from island to island (the PC version had this feature without requiring the activation of a cheat mode). Anybody here tried this cheat out?

gimbal 11 March 2021 17:17

I remember seeing that in a youtube series on the game but it was described as a missing feature in the Amiga version that they couldn't finish on time.

Tigerskunk 11 March 2021 19:15

When I read that concept of Carriers battling it out in an Archipelago back in the day (was it 1988?) I felt like this is the future...

It just kind of never clicked with me when actually playing it, though.

Foebane 11 March 2021 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrv2k (Post 1469319)
Carrier Command was one of the main reasons I upgraded from a Speccy 128k to an A500. It was also the first Amiga game I bought.

You'd've had a better reason if you'd played it on the C64.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steril707 (Post 1469445)
When I read that concept of Carriers battling it out in an Archipelago back in the day (was it 1988?) I felt like this is the future...

Not on the C64, it bloody wasn't. (omg)

Seiya 12 March 2021 14:29

The C64 version is the only one totally different from any other and shame they opted for 2D game.

Foebane 12 March 2021 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seiya (Post 1469647)
The C64 version is the only one totally different from any other and shame they opted for 2D game.

They opted for a 2D top-down version with Amaurote as well, when the other versions were highly-detailed isometric 3D, including the Atari 8-Bit!

ChinnyVision covered the C64 version of Carrier Command, and his disbelief at the game is palpable. He said there was no reason why the C64 couldn't do at least vectors, like Mercenary on the C64 did.

No, it was just lazy coding, once again, combined with some strange idea that C64 games sell on their 2D top-down graphics and bloated sprites.

dreadnought 12 March 2021 15:43

C64 was allegedly slower in 3D than other micros. Could be the reason (or one of them).