English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hyperborea Resurrected - real AGA bullet hell danmaku WIP (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=116512)

Daytona675x 21 December 2023 23:46

Hyperborea Resurrected - real AGA bullet hell danmaku WIP

Hyperborea Resurrected - real bullet hell for stock A1200

Some years ago Torben B. Larsen from Cope-Com, the graphician and designer of titles like Hybris and Battle Squadron, and I decided to team up to make a new shmup.
I quickly came up with some prototype code and Torben drew quite a lot of gfx for the first level.

Unfortunately real life kicked in and so the project went into hibernation - until recently.

My nephew Tom had to do a two weeks school internship and he had asked me if he can do it at my place. Sure thing :)
Of course I wanted to show him how to code games for the Amiga. Hm, well, Souverän Soccer wasn't well suited for that task - much too complex and big and everything.

Eventually I decided to resurrect Torbens and mine project "Hyperborea" :)
The internship began end of october and some days before I had written down a new design plan for that game. I trashed everything of the old code and started from scratch. Well, not exactly. Some helper functions from Souverän Soccer were copied over, of course ;)

When the internship ended we had an intro-screen, main menu, highscore management, a scrolling tilemap, music, explosions, players and player-weapons. And Tom knows quite a lot about sprites, blitter, registers, multiplexing and bug-hunting :)

Anyway, the next ~ 4 weeks I spent tweaking and adding all the missing parts. And this is the result:

A real bullet hell / danmaku style shmup for stock A1200 and compatibles.
  • 304 x 256 PAL @ 50 fps (almost always ;) )
  • vertical scroller with additional horizontal scrolling (384 pixel wide levels)
  • 1p and 2p simultan mode
  • 100% flicker free bullets and enemies
  • tons of bullets - and I mean it!
  • note: current music is a placeholder from mod archive for now, te-x-mas 6 by xtd / mystic & the grid

Torben is on board again and tomorrow I'll tell him how the new engine works and what that means for his artwork.
I think he'll be quite happy to hear that the strict color limitations of the old version are gone ;)

The game is mostly done in C++ with maybe 10% asm.

The video shows the current test-level with some enemies and many many bullets on my A1200 with the turbocard / fastram deactivated.

https://youtu.be/C027TmFf-kk
Like if you like :)

Cheers and happy xmas in advance,
Daytona675x

p.s.: yes, Souverän is being worked on too ;)

utri007 22 December 2023 00:05

Looks nice!

Megalomaniac 22 December 2023 00:17

Looks awesome. If the level design, difficulty curve, extras, collision detection and variety can match the game engine and basic visuals (I'm not asking for much, am I?), we'll be in for a treat. Can't wait to play the result.

lionagony 22 December 2023 00:25

Amazing, it's ironic that we were just having a discussion about the most objects on screen in an Amiga game in another thread and now I see the bullet counter hit the 170's around the 1:00 minute mark here. This might take the crown. It looks awesome, with Reshoot R, Reshoot Proxima 3, Inviyya, Boss Machine and now this we are in shmup heaven these days, can't wait.

sokolovic 22 December 2023 02:35

What a gigantic new !!!

ransom1122 22 December 2023 03:12

WoW thats impressive :shocked

redblade 22 December 2023 04:53

Amazing, if the source code and gfx of that was slapped on a Amiga magazine in December 1992...

Predseda 22 December 2023 08:53

AmigaBill will be blown off, he LOVES this type of games!

Gzegzolka 22 December 2023 09:02

Technically that looks gorgeous :) I hope that one day we could play it.

aros-sg 22 December 2023 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daytona675x (Post 1660138)
tons of bullets - and I mean it!

Is collision detection for all the bullets active/executed (and just "ignored" for some) in the video?

How much frame time does it take?

Is it using the point vs rectangle (insead of rectangle vs rectangle) trick?
(google: "contra collision detection")

carrion 22 December 2023 09:25

Looks super good!
I'm a huge fan of bullethell shmups. Can't wait to play it.

Daytona675x 22 December 2023 09:44

@all
Thanks guys.

@aros-sg
For the video I activated invincible mode for the players. Simply because it was hard enough to hold the mobile phone in one hand and to somehow move the ship around with the Competition in the other ;)
The collision detection is almost a NOP, it takes no measurable frame time at all.
As with all decent Danmaku games (which happens to be pretty much the only type of game I play regularly), only a tiny dot in your ship's center is vulnerable. It's just a matter of detecting a pixel change at that point after drawing certain types of objects, that's it :)

dreadnought 22 December 2023 10:18

It's amazing that old pros are still coming back to Amiga ;)

The art & motion look fabulous - kinda makes me wish it wasn't a danmaku, since these games are just too much for my old, frazzled brain (even with tiny hitbox). Still, looks like it will be a blast, even if I only last half a level.

DanyPPC 22 December 2023 10:19

WoW !

A new AGA shoot'em up :)

Looks promising !

jotd 22 December 2023 11:21

great! I don't know how you manage so many objects on screen on bare A1200. When I ported Xevious it started crawling at 64 relatively small objects, using dual playfield (so only 4 bitplanes) and FMODE=3...

kriz 22 December 2023 12:50

Amazing !!

Tigerskunk 22 December 2023 14:38

Amazing effort, Daniel.... :)

4pLaY 22 December 2023 15:34

Looks sweet.

Lord Aga 22 December 2023 15:52

Great stuff :)

pink^abyss 22 December 2023 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daytona675x (Post 1660138)
  • note: current music is a placeholder from mod archive for now

The music was one of the hilights in Hybris and Battle Squadron for me. Brilliant and inspiring for me at that time!