English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Games (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Running CDTV titles using an connected CD drive (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=117167)

PixelsAtDawn 15 March 2024 13:59

Running CDTV titles using an connected CD drive

I've recently been tinkering with one of those Sony Vaio drives on my A600. It works very well, but I was wondering: if I got hold of a copy of, say, Trivial Pursuit or Defender of the Crown II, could I boot into these from Workbench? Or any other CDTV title for that matter?

I know running CD32 on an A1200 requires some element of emulation like cd32emu, but the CDTV is much closer to an A500 - no Akiko chip nonsense here. So could it work? Or would the lack of extended ROMs hamper this effort?

stx2199 15 March 2024 22:33

there is no CDTV emulator written yet
anyways some CDTV titles works on any Amiga running the executable from workbench
so you can try it , I remember I tried an ugly CDTV game called pinocchio and worked in my A1200

Matt_H 15 March 2024 23:43

The results aren’t 100%, but there are tools to simulate a CDTV environment. AsimCDFS is one such example. Also look into CDBoot.

PixelsAtDawn 16 March 2024 02:18

Thanks folks

stx2199 16 March 2024 17:49

CDboot was done mainly for winuae
AsimDCDF is not a solution either

The CD32 emulator which I uploaded in the other thread don't support CDTV titles as the real CD32 console (stated in docs)

to simulate a CDTV environment you need a booteable CD Amiga system + kick 1.3
otherwise lot of games will fail to boot/work

AMike 17 March 2024 11:12

I've used in the past the Archos Overdrive CD32/CDTV Emulator for CDTV games, but I didn't manage to run this emulator with the Sony CDDrive.

sokolovic 17 March 2024 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixelsAtDawn (Post 1674224)
I've recently been tinkering with one of those Sony Vaio drives on my A600.

Is it possible to know the model you are using ? I'm looking for a ce drive for my A1200.

teh_Foxx0rz 25 March 2024 00:08

I've been using a SquirrelSCSI on my A1200 with real CDs, and I tried one CDTV game and it booted and ran but I had the strange issue of it not playing the redbook audio. I know the SquirrelSCSI CD32 emulation doesn't claim to support CDTV games, so I'm not surprised that it didn't work right. However, I too am curious about what could be made to work for it.

I think I saw that the later SurfSquirrel CD32 emulation did claim to support CDTV games? However, I don't know myself if that later software would work with the original SquirrelSCSI or not.

I also wonder whether my issue there might have just been a Kickstart discrepancy or something though too. I did try out setting my A1200 to OSC compatibility, and tried a Relokick floppy at the same time, though I'm not sure if they ended up working together and if that would have also held through the CD boot process. But I hopefully have a more robust solution for booting alternative Kickstarts now with an expansion card which supports that.

Of course yeah, I do wonder about solutions which aren't specific to SquirrelSCSI too. Perhaps I should try booting it from Workbench like stx2199 mentioned.

Aardvark 25 March 2024 00:59

AsimCDFS v3.9 (can be found on Turran FTP) does some cdtv.device emulation which enables CD audio.

No idea whether it works with PCMCIA CD drives, I only tested it on A1200 IDE which played CDTV Sim City fine with CD music.