English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Putty Squad for Amiga CD32 request thread. (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=71936)

Telemachus 26 December 2013 15:02

Putty Squad for Amiga CD32 request thread.

I asked Galahad if he would do a CD32 version so here is the thread to see if people are interested.

Just post a vote below to show your interest. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 928741)
I am considering it yes, I did actually start it, but real life took over briefly.

Start a request thread on EAB 'demanding' it, if theres enough interest, consider it done! :great

retrogamer 26 December 2013 15:29

Yes a CD32 version would be great! :p

Bamiga2002 26 December 2013 15:59

One demand more!

Riempie 26 December 2013 16:01

+1

Nostromo 26 December 2013 16:10

Yes please!

Ian 26 December 2013 16:19

Wonder if System 3 will send the music from the PS3/PS4 version to use on the CD.

Anyway, not too fussed aboout a CD32 version as I only emulate these days.

Is it really needed?

Can't someone just use the WHDLoad thing created for CD32 for this?

Kehil 26 December 2013 16:20

Also interested in CD32 version /iso if possible :)/

Galahad/FLT 26 December 2013 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 929073)
Wonder if System 3 will send the music from the PS3/PS4 version to use on the CD.

Anyway, not too fussed aboout a CD32 version as I only emulate these days.

Is it really needed?

Can't someone just use the WHDLoad thing created for CD32 for this?

No as putty squad uses all of 2meg of chipram, there's no memory left for AmigaDos or whdload.

Ian 26 December 2013 16:37

Ahh is see. Then a versions should be made for those with cd32s. Its only fair they don't get left out ;)

Should you get enough requests obviously.

SolderPCB 26 December 2013 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 929077)
No as putty squad uses all of 2meg of chipram, there's no memory left for AmigaDos or whdload.

It would probably run on an .iso with cdtv.tm, You get about 1.85mb+ that way.

I know you are the expert :) I guess it probably doesn't use the full 2MB chip ram?

Most AGA games I've seen use about 1.8mb chip ram top.

Count me for vote +1 :)

Whitesnake 26 December 2013 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by nittamituaki (Post 929087)
It's similar situation to "Super Stardust"?
Floppy disk version requires surely 2MB so we couldn't boot only chip ram (for example, my system, cd32+ analogic FDD).
But CD32 version (without FDD) could boot successfully.

Kang-Fu and Wendetta (CD32 and Amiga CD compatible) are also similar.
I don't know why these games boot without Fast RAM as CD32 mode,however,
there is some *HINTs* for "Putty Squad for standard CD32 version" in these scheme...(It seems nightmare, though.)

Btw I forgot to post for thank you about adf version of Putty squad.
Thank you so much!! (Now I enjoyed on winuae with kick34006 from my real CD32.)

Just a quick thought,

Two System 3 games that were made available for the Amiga CD32 used a disk loader which worked quite well and Galahad is probably familiar with it.

Perhaps that could be used here?

[Myth: History In The Making CD32]

Myth [exe]
Myth.A
Myth.B
Myth.C

[Last Ninja 3 CD32]

NINJA3 [exe]
NINJA.A
NINJA.B

Although interestingly Putty aka Super Putty on the CD32 just used AmigaDOS files.

I wouldn't use that RNC Loader that is on various other CD32 games due to it being buggy and unreliable and I don't mean bad CD-R's I mean actual official games.

Games like Worms, Cannon Fodder, James Pond 3. Have all been prone to hiccups when loading, or just crashing. Tested on a few CD32 consoles.

Anyway, Great work on mastering the disks for Putty Squad and may it continue. :agree

I'll put a vote here. :great

Forgot to add, nittamituaki.

Have you tried Aladdin, Global Gladiators and Cool Spot on the FDD for your CD32?

MethodGit 26 December 2013 17:43

Perhaps Musashi5150 or anyone else could do a "Musashi" and code a new CD³² friendly loader for the game using the ripped files of the WHDLoad version?

Telemachus 26 December 2013 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by MethodGit (Post 929096)
Perhaps Musashi5150 or anyone else could do a "Musashi" and code a new CD³² friendly loader for the game using the ripped files of the WHDLoad version?

That release crash for me sometimes at the start. I think galahad probably has a better solution not using whdload or rnc

Codetapper 26 December 2013 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolderPCB (Post 929084)
It would probably run on an .iso with cdtv.tm, You get about 1.85mb+ that way.

I know you are the expert :) I guess it probably doesn't use the full 2MB chip ram?

Most AGA games I've seen use about 1.8mb chip ram top.

Count me for vote +1 :)

Just a little background about this. When I was working out the final memory requirements I set the game to 2Mb chip and played through the entire game, letting it load each section and all enemies plus the end sequence. Then quit hte game and looked through the memory dump.

Although in total the game uses far less than 2Mb chip, it (stupidly) has bits scattered all through memory. The game runs at $3000 which is very low, I imagine you couldn't allocate absolute memory at $3000 for the chip section. Then at some stage, it's writing to about $1fb000, which is almost at the end of chip memory!

I guess John Twiddy worked out what "safe" lengths for each section were and worked out a memory map along the lines of "this restore buffer here shouldn't need more than $2000 so it can go at $xxxxxx" and did that for the entire game.

So it's not such a trivial thing to change, even though if you totalled up all the memory required it would probably be more like 1.5Mb. It's just scattered in chunks :(

Bluntman 26 December 2013 23:16

A CD32 version would be neat-o! In fact, since my A1200's floppy drive doesn't work the CD32 might be the best way for me to finally have a go at this awesome game.

Galahad/FLT 27 December 2013 00:52

I need to confer with Codetapper, but i'm pretty sure a WHDLoad version of Putty Squad is more than possible, watch this space :)

sokolovic 27 December 2013 12:03

I'am in to.

Question, they were speaking of some enhancement for the CD32, like an intro an CD music… Is it still possible ? And do the game recognize the CD32 pad ?

Amiga1992 27 December 2013 12:32

CD32 version would be the best!!
With CD audio from PS4 version even better! I would definitely PAY for that, made with a proper CD32 loader.

The ting with WHDLoad is those os flashes and stuff... I dont want that in a game.

Whitesnake 27 December 2013 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codetapper (Post 929112)
Just a little background about this. When I was working out the final memory requirements I set the game to 2Mb chip and played through the entire game, letting it load each section and all enemies plus the end sequence. Then quit hte game and looked through the memory dump.

Although in total the game uses far less than 2Mb chip, it (stupidly) has bits scattered all through memory. The game runs at $3000 which is very low, I imagine you couldn't allocate absolute memory at $3000 for the chip section. Then at some stage, it's writing to about $1fb000, which is almost at the end of chip memory!

I guess John Twiddy worked out what "safe" lengths for each section were and worked out a memory map along the lines of "this restore buffer here shouldn't need more than $2000 so it can go at $xxxxxx" and did that for the entire game.

So it's not such a trivial thing to change, even though if you totalled up all the memory required it would probably be more like 1.5Mb. It's just scattered in chunks :(

I would guess then this is why the WHDLoad versions of Global Gladiators and Cool Spot crash with a "disk error check?" on 2mb chip only? or when an additional drive is connected. They work on a WinUAE 2mb chip only setup but not on real hardware.

Maybe updating those slaves to support files might help. Unsure.

Galahad/FLT 27 December 2013 17:29

Right after much looking, the only way this game is possible is using the RNC CD32 loader, I can reduce the memory requirements, but not enough to enable the game to run using AmigaDOS to load files.