English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.ClassicWB (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Classic WB question (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98881)

PussEKatt 18 September 2019 13:54

Classic WB question

What are the advantages of installing Classic Workbench ?
The ones from abime.net

Mark sealey 18 September 2019 16:33

I would say yes...as long as you have os3.1.....?

PussEKatt 19 September 2019 15:45

Yes but why ? Is it faster,better graphics,smoother scroll or something etc etc etc AND does it support a lot of games.I thought standard WB and KS 1.3 supported the majority of games !?

AMIGASYSTEM 19 September 2019 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by PussEKatt (Post 1346496)
Yes but why ? Is it faster,better graphics,smoother scroll or something etc etc etc AND does it support a lot of games.I thought standard WB and KS 1.3 supported the majority of games !?

Surely OS 1.3/2.x are more compatible with installed OCS/ECS games, but are not suitable for WHDLoad AGA games or those that require higher CPUs. With OS 3.x it's more convenient to do things, have you ever tried to create icons and associate icons to some files with OS 1.3 ?

PussEKatt 20 September 2019 14:18

@AMIGASYSTEM: THanks for that info

Anubis 12 November 2019 13:22

A bit late reply, but better ever than never.

Why use ClassicWB :

* takes little time to install
* already setup for most of WHDLoad, WB needs
* setups are customized to save as much as possible of chip memory
* load of utilities that you would take lots of time to install
* works great on real hardware, as well on emulation

I have ClassicWB Light even on unexpanded Amiga working without any issues. Was able to transfer ADF to floppy.

Add bit of RAM and you all set with WHDLoad and everything else.

Nightshft 03 January 2020 16:28

It offers
- noClick (floppy)
- directoryOpus including some useful additional buttons/functions (not only the barebone dOpus)
- autocomplete in shell (press tab to autocomplete folder/file names)

Preinstalled programs like
- DPaint
- TSGui (to read and write adf images to/from floppy)
- JanoEditor (nice and easy to use)
- HippoPlayer (mod player)

Preinstalled whdLoad
so if you copy whdLoad Games or Demos to your hdd you can run them without having to install something.

Preinstalled useful cli tools in C:
(think of ppmore, ppshow and all these)

System features like
- alternative icon systems (which you can de-/activate)
- mouse wheel support
- extended workbench menu

You also can start DOpus by just pressing Amiga 1 and start a shell by pressing Amiga 2. You can navigate to a folder and click "dir->shell" and have a shell in this folder, which are nice time-savers.

...and many more features.

Note that there is a program on the workbench called CdxHandler (Commodities Handler). It let's you activate/deactivate some of the system tools.

The disadvantage is that all at once you have a workbench with dozens of tools (some in the background) and you don't know all of them from the beginnning. But it's not hard to use and the advantage is that most of them are really useful and on a vanilla OS3.1 install it'd take a lot of time to find and install them all.

I recommend Classic WB and use it myself, but I'd really like if somebody would take the time to write a guide to all of its functions or make a video where he explains them. So beginners can easily start into using classicWb.