English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Is 'Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker' anyone else's 'most played' Amiga game? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106875)

Rob68K 06 May 2021 15:54

Is 'Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker' anyone else's 'most played' Amiga game?

Just wondering.
I played the coverdisk demo relentlessly.
Heck, I even bought it.
IMO Archer's best work ( and I REALLY liked Dropzone )

Nobby_UK 06 May 2021 16:10

I don't know about 'most played'
but it is on all my Gotek drives/media

jotd 06 May 2021 17:21

I prefer Team 17 Arcade Pool. Archer IK+ I'm playing to death!

Superman 06 May 2021 19:13

Not most played but its a very good game.

seuden 06 May 2021 21:15

Great game, invented the smily. :p

eXeler0 06 May 2021 22:50

Used to play it a lot, but probably not top 10 most played.
Such an nice and obvious use of 3d. Most snooker or pool games were top down before this one or had some "unnatural" aiming scheme like 3d pool (which actually came out before JW)

Havie 06 May 2021 23:56

Loved this game and as good at this as I am at real snooker (which isn't very good). Only thing that would improve it would be mouse controlled cue like Virtual Pool.

Also loved Arcade Pool and Snooker by Team 17 and before this Steve Davies Snooker on the Speccy.

rothers 07 May 2021 11:37

I'd say it's a game which is still good now, it's kinda timeless.

Few games achieve that.

Coagulus 07 May 2021 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havie (Post 1481936)
Loved this game and as good at this as I am at real snooker (which isn't very good). Only thing that would improve it would be mouse controlled cue like Virtual Pool.

Also loved Arcade Pool and Snooker by Team 17 and before this Steve Davies Snooker on the Speccy.

I think Jimmy White Cueball had this method on PC but sadly wasn't on Amiga. I still play Virtual Pool in dosbox.

gimbal 11 May 2021 14:44

I played it quite some with my brother, but no far removed from the most played game :)

JJ__ 31 December 2021 18:35

JW's Snooker has been played an awful lot by me on my A1200. Brilliantly written by AM. The only thing I find odd but amusing is when the computer opponent suddenly decides to change shot and play something really unrealistic. Normally it then gives the player an advantage as it will be end of break, but really not sure what was going on with the AI in such cases. It would have been better to have attempted a shot and then missed if it's ready to swap back over to the player, and sometimes that does happen of course which looks more natural, but sometimes the computer will just play a dead straight shot often at a really low strength for no reason which looks out of place and unrealistic.

BTW I've never been a fan of the "Arcade Pool" game, I find it too difficult to aim with any sort of precision, but maybe that's just me not being very good at it! :D

mkrleza 08 January 2022 20:54

Oh, it was much better than 3D pool (of course I know the difference between the snooker and pool, LOL)

aNdy/AL/COS 25 January 2022 20:51

Not in my 'most played' column, but certainly in the 'played a lot' column.

What a fantastic game!

PatmanQC 01 February 2022 04:47

Stunt car would have to be it for me

alexh 01 February 2022 15:11

Back in the day it would have been a tie between Archer Maclean's Pool and Dynablaster (aka Bomberman)

But Ambermoon is many many times them both these days with beta-testing all the fixes.

RetroPassionUK 01 February 2022 16:05

Fav snooker game.... played that for hours on an A500

gimbal 01 February 2022 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetroPassionUK (Post 1530006)
Fav snooker game.... played that for hours on an A500

That I won't dispute, it was my favorite and only snooker game that I ever owned and played :)

lesta_smsc 01 February 2022 23:49

Played this A LOT! Such a simplistic interface but fun at the same time. That theme tune was a classic. However, I do feel cheated since some of the shots the computer pulled off was surely impossible at least from the angle I was looking at them!

TommyTomorrow 03 August 2022 16:54

I also played JW Snooker a lot. I also liked Arcade Pool, it took me so much time to find Arcade Snooker but I've always preferred simulation games so for me, JW Snooker was the best snooker on Amiga. When I sold my A500 in 90s and I bought my first pc, I've mostly played in Virtual Pool ;)

dlfrsilver 03 August 2022 16:56

Mmhhh.... I prefer Arcade Pool, it has better colors.