English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   X-Bench crash. (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=108366)

Zarnal 28 September 2021 16:28

X-Bench crash.

Hello,

I noticed a systematic crash when launching X-Bench. After the countdown (and after clicking the mouse button) it crashes and a Guru Meditation occurs ( 68000 and 68020+ configs ).

WinUae 4.4 and latest beta. Ok with real hardware.

Note : The last registered version of X-Bench has the same problem.

Hdf and logs provided.

Toni Wilen 28 September 2021 17:51

Sorry but this is quite useless report. "Real hardware" means absolutely nothing and your log also shows use of 8M HDF that is OFS(!!) formatted. Your real hardware surely isn't using same HDF :)

Sounds more like something is missing and it fails to handle some error condition.

Always use identical WB setup.

AMIGASYSTEM 28 September 2021 19:42

@Zarnal

What's inside the archive "X-Bench.7z" ? i don't think it's the X-Bench executable

Zarnal 28 September 2021 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1508965)
@Zarnal

What's inside the archive "X-Bench.7z" ? i don't think it's the X-Bench executable

The IconX script from XB launch is used for the startup-sequence. This is the normal launch of X-Bench ( and other things ).

I should have made my hdf with a WB (I didn't do it because WB is under copyright) but the result is the same. I did not give enough details about the problem ( and from now on, I will not mention "Ok with real hardware or similar" again ). :)

AMIGASYSTEM 28 September 2021 23:00

I wasn't referring to what was in it, but to the fact that you had posted a HardFile. !

EDIT:

Tested well and discovered the problem Guru on your HardFile !!!

Your HardFile works fine on WinUAE you just forgot to copy in C "WHDLoad", that's the reason why you reced ul Guru.

Toni Wilen 29 September 2021 14:17

It probably is good idea to report this bug because crash caused by missing <something> is very annoying to debug and can result in false positives like here :)

spudje 29 September 2021 19:55

This is not a bug, it's just a lack of reading X-Bench documentation.... :)

AMIGASYSTEM 29 September 2021 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudje (Post 1509063)
This is not a bug, it's just a lack of reading X-Bench documentation.... :)

If I read correctly the documentation says that you have to install WHLoad, but it doesn't say that you get a Guru if it is not installed, which shouldn't happen !

spudje 01 October 2021 13:08

I agree it's not the most user-friendly implementation. Unfortunately development seems to have stalled http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...hlight=x-bench. But if it actually still "lives" I'm sure the developer is open to suggest a check for WHDLoad before launch routine :)

Zarnal 01 October 2021 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudje (Post 1509321)
I agree it's not the most user-friendly implementation. Unfortunately development seems to have stalled http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...hlight=x-bench. But if it actually still "lives" I'm sure the developer is open to suggest a check for WHDLoad before launch routine :)

Development continues.

The new version 1.2b2 should arrive ( at least for registered users ) +- during the month of October (or a little later). It should resolve the issues encountered with Amiga OS 3.2. I have internet direct contact with the French creator of X-Bench on French forum Amiga France. :)

I had this information a few days ago and I told him about the problem with the JIT of WinUae / OS 3.1 to see if he could fix it.

AMIGASYSTEM 01 October 2021 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarnal (Post 1509326)

I had this information a few days ago and I told him about the problem with the JIT of WinUae / OS 3.1 to see if he could fix it.

X-Bench with WinUAE OS 3.1 and JIT all works well, written above how to solve !

Zarnal 01 October 2021 19:03

@Amigasystem

It is not the same problem. :)

The version available on the official website works fine with JIT, you are right. But not the latest internal beta version ( not public). This is what I was talking about. ;)

https://youtu.be/QAej9Vqgjko

First part : internal version 1.2b1, second is official version 1.1. A1200 68020 + 4Mo + JIT. Two versions are on same hdf and have same config. WinUae 4.4.

AMIGASYSTEM 01 October 2021 22:39

I can't test the 1.2b1 version, when it will be available I will try to do some tests !

Zarnal 02 October 2021 14:09

The log reports me :

Illegal instruction 008 at 0024F1B8 --> 00F80A02.

Edit :

I will do other tests. Maybe 020 CPU issue (not sure). If I run with Quickstart A600 68000 3.1/2MB +8 MB + HD/Best compatibility, it's Ok.
If I just switch to 68020 after quitting and relaunching WinUae with the same configuration, a crash occurs. But it's really very curious because with my personnal WinUae A1200 configuration ( 020 CE chipset and CPU ) everything is going well ( except if i active JIT as I have already explained :) ).

Edit 2 :

It is more and more strange. The crash appears to be random (at least with 020 + CE or fastest ). I ran X-Bench three times in a row, it crashed the first two times but it worked the third. I do not understand anything more what is going on. I will see this directly with Jim Neray ( author of X-Bench ) maybe a " normal " bug with this " special " version which has nothing to do with WinUae. :)

AMIGASYSTEM 02 October 2021 15:58

When testing with WinUAE you should not do hot reboots but should close WinUAE and then reopen

Zarnal 02 October 2021 20:48

All the problems are solved. I have reset all X-Bench options to default. One of the program options (I'm not sure which one yet) seems to be a problem. I'll watch later. :)

Thank you all.

Zarnal 03 October 2021 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1509479)
When testing with WinUAE you should not do hot reboots but should close WinUAE and then reopen

That's what I did at the start (I already knew that in this kind of case, nothing should be changed on the fly). After that, it was the sofware failure that rebooted the machine each time (I did not reboot manually with Ctrl / A / A). :)

Now, all is Ok with all modes.

This issue had nothing to do with WinUae.