English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Interview with Camilla Boeman (AmigaOS 68k developper) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=117323)

Daff 04 April 2024 07:36

Interview with Camilla Boeman (AmigaOS 68k developper)

Obligement magazine is today publishing an interview with Camilla Boeman, from the AmigaOS 68k development team, who is breathing new life into this legendary operating system.

In English:
http://obligement.free.fr/articles_t...boemann_en.php

In French: en français:
http://obligement.free.fr/articles/i...llaboemann.php

A500 04 April 2024 14:46

That's a very interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

Magic 04 April 2024 17:50

Thank you for the rare look inside the development of 3.2, and for all the work that the developers do. Unpaid at that!

number6 04 April 2024 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by A500 (Post 1677778)
That's a very interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

Also interesting (to me) is Olaf's comment on the same topic:

from comment section in German

malko 04 April 2024 20:51

Thank you for this interview. An interesting reading :great

copse 04 April 2024 21:18

I did wonder how they could afford to pay programmers to work on this.

The model of a curated team of low drama experienced contributors sounds like a workable way for people with a personal vested interest to keep involved with something they want to make better and continue using themselves.

While I am not sure that a process of open sourcing would necessarily freeze these developers or Hyperion, it definitely wouldn't just be clapping your hands to magically make it happen. It'd likely be a nightmare of resolving rights. Possibly the only way to do it would be to have a large legal fund established by the community. Count me out, I don't care that much.

eXeler0 04 April 2024 21:24

Nice read. I think it's the first time I ever read that a mother encouraged her kid to get an Amiga :-) My parent's had zero knowledge about computers in the 80s.

kriz 04 April 2024 21:43

Never used Morphos/AOS4 or Aros ? That is just a very strange attitude for a developer in this scene, would be wise to see the great solutions done over all these years!

Minuous 04 April 2024 23:01

The team is aware of the other solutions. There are a lot of OS4 features, in particular, that would be nice to have but many are rather expensive in terms of CPU/RAM/ROM requirements; we want something that is usable on a more or less stock machine.

cloverskull 05 April 2024 00:15

Super cool read, lots of interesting insights there. Much respect for doing this pro bono.

Korodny 05 April 2024 00:38

From the interview:

Quote:

the court has ruled that Hyperion has the rights to develop and release AmigaOS
No, it has not.

copse 05 April 2024 01:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korodny (Post 1677868)
From the interview:

No, it has not.

Thanks for uh.. clearing that up. If it is so cut and dry that they have not, perhaps stating why it is not correct may help clear this up?

Korodny 05 April 2024 01:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by copse (Post 1677870)
Thanks for uh.. clearing that up. If it is so cut and dry that they have not, perhaps stating why it is not correct may help clear this up?

Here's my summary of the whole thing:

https://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN...-00011-EN.html

You don't have to take my word for it (full disclosure: I'm not Ben Hermans' biggest fan): the court documents are all linked to from the news item. The most relevant is this one.

The only source for the "Ben Hermans won!" claim is the Hyperion press release linked to in the last paragraph of the news item. It's just another Ben Hermans lie.

sean_sk 05 April 2024 02:02

I really enjoyed this interview.

I completely understand and agree with her comments on why they have chosen not to be paid. Choosing not to be paid for something takes a whole lot of pressure off your shoulders to perform and to get things done under a deadline.

Pyromania 05 April 2024 02:18

Cool interview, great reading.

cloverskull 05 April 2024 05:24

@Korodny FYI your 'this one' link doesn't work :)

malko 05 April 2024 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korodny (Post 1677871)
[...] The only source for the "Ben Hermans won!" claim is the Hyperion press release linked to in the last paragraph of the news item. It's just another Ben Hermans lie.

[OT]From the outside and after reading the provided link, the prism is not correctly aligned for sure. In an anothet side, if you look at what could have be stated, that the court decides that the one in front of you has no legitimisation to sue you, is a victory in the case.[/OT]

Korodny 05 April 2024 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by malko (Post 1677895)
the court decides hat the one in front of you has no legitimisation to sue you, is a victory in the case.

Not really. The court simply decided that the focus has to switch to the other case (Amiga Corp. vs. Hyperion) which has been opened five years ago already - it was just stayed until the first lawsuit was decided. I'm told both parties must have realized that this was the most likely outcome as soon as the judge denied the request to have Amiga Corp. added to the original case in 2019.

Also note that the case that has been closed now was about both parties suing each other, while the one case that remains open is about Amiga Corp. suing Hyperion. IANAL and all that, but to me it seems Hyperion's claims ("breach of contract" etc.) are history now. Also note that Hyperion tried to register various Amiga related trademarks ("AmigaOS", "AmigaOne") at the beginning of all this but gave up on these efforts years ago.

But here we have Camilla stating in public that the "court has ruled that Hyperion has the rights to develop...". In other words: mission accomplished.

@cloverskull:

Thanks, fixed.

fxgogo 05 April 2024 08:52

Fantastic interview. Always great getting to know the team who work on our favourite OS.

kamelito 05 April 2024 13:53

Yep great interview and great site!
Some very nice things coming in the upcoming years.