English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. Blitz Basic (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Blitz Basic Game Jam (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=108819)

zooperdan 09 November 2021 14:31

Blitz Basic Game Jam

I am considering hosting a Blitz Basic Game Jam early next year and would like to poll the interest for such a jam.

It will span across 2 weeks and have a theme or genre which will be announced when jam starts.

All entries should be submitted with source code included. Reason for that is I want this jam to contribute to the Blitz Basic community and help those who are new to Blitz Basic game development. All entries and source will be made available online.

There will be prizes to be won for the top 3 entries.

What do you all think?

Daedalus 09 November 2021 18:01

Sounds like a great idea! I just wish I had the time to participate :)

Havie 09 November 2021 19:40

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd be up for a go.

indigolemon 10 November 2021 12:57

Would this be open for team entries? It's something I'd like to have a go at but my skill set doesn't encompass enough to do it on my own.

zooperdan 10 November 2021 13:04

Yes, it's also open for teams. This is open for all experience levels also. It's a great way to learn how to plan and time manage and it's fun to challenge yourself a little.

indigolemon 10 November 2021 13:08

Great, I'm definitely interested then :)

One little suggestion, it might be worth making it Feb or Mar to avoid conflicting with Amiga Ireland in Jan :great

Daedalus 10 November 2021 13:08

Excellent, I might be able to get involved so :)

zooperdan 10 November 2021 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by indigolemon (Post 1516337)
Great, I'm definitely interested then :)

One little suggestion, it might be worth making it Feb or Mar to avoid conflicting with Amiga Ireland in Jan :great

Great :)

Yes, that is the plan :) That ends end of January but will be some judging time, so probably end of Feb or early March would be a good time for it.

zooperdan 10 November 2021 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1516338)
Excellent, I might be able to get involved so :)

Awesome :D

fxgogo 10 November 2021 13:37

sounds like a great idea. I would look to avoiding the Amiga Game Jam which ends in Feb. Some people and teams might not be able to do both.

Daedalus 10 November 2021 14:15

Interesting... Just a vague thought, but is there any scope for an overlap with the main Game Jam then? Like a Blitz category within the main competition? I guess it's probably simpler to keep it separate though.

Unrelated, but to get the opinions / interest of more people, it might be worth asking the same question in the Blitz group on Facebook - there are quite a few regular users on there that aren't regulars here...

zooperdan 10 November 2021 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxgogo (Post 1516342)
sounds like a great idea. I would look to avoiding the Amiga Game Jam which ends in Feb. Some people and teams might not be able to do both.

Yes. I will not start the jam until AmiGameJam is done. AmiGameJam ends Jan 31st, so I think end of February would probably be a good time.

zooperdan 10 November 2021 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1516350)
Interesting... Just a vague thought, but is there any scope for an overlap with the main Game Jam then? Like a Blitz category within the main competition? I guess it's probably simpler to keep it separate though.

Unrelated, but to get the opinions / interest of more people, it might be worth asking the same question in the Blitz group on Facebook - there are quite a few regular users on there that aren't regulars here...

I was not aware that there is a FB group for Blitz. I'll check it out.

When you say "Main Game Jam" do you mean the AmiGameJam hosted by Cammy? There won't be an overlap with that and the jam I plan on hosting is not affiliated with AmiGameJam.

Daedalus 10 November 2021 17:35

Fair enough :)

Cool, the group is here: Amiga BlitzBasic & AmiBlitz
It's relatively quiet and there's probably a bit of overlap with this forum, but it's still a bigger potential audience :)

zooperdan 10 November 2021 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1516391)
Fair enough :)

Cool, the group is here: Amiga BlitzBasic & AmiBlitz
It's relatively quiet and there's probably a bit of overlap with this forum, but it's still a bigger potential audience :)

Yeah thanks. I found it :) Decent member count and some posts. A whole lot better than nothing! I'm just happy there is a BB community at all in 2021. Beggars can't be choosers, and so forth :)

Daedalus 06 April 2022 10:59

I'm just prodding this again now that the AmiGameJam has been completed... Is this still something you're planning Zooperdan?

zooperdan 07 April 2022 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1539595)
I'm just prodding this again now that the AmiGameJam has been completed... Is this still something you're planning Zooperdan?

Yes, most definitely. I was waiting for the AmiGameJam to finish. I am also hosting a jam which starts tomorrow and last 1 week. Not long after that I will start the Blitz Basic Jam.

Havie 07 April 2022 10:35

Shame it wasn't this week as two weeks off school! Still have enough else to do...

Daedalus 07 April 2022 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooperdan (Post 1539789)
Yes, most definitely. I was waiting for the AmiGameJam to finish. I am also hosting a jam which starts tomorrow and last 1 week. Not long after that I will start the Blitz Basic Jam.

Don't feel pressured - I was more curious about it than pushing for it :) I'm curious about this other jam though - what's it for?

Havie 08 April 2022 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1539846)
Don't feel pressured - I was more curious about it than pushing for it :) I'm curious about this other jam though - what's it for?

No - do feel pressured.:D Need my mojo back as haven't worked on Target Renegade for over a month due to work pressure...