English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   This video would put ANY newcomer off of all Amiga Games (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106984)

Gzegzolka 17 May 2021 11:00

It is not bad. I dare You to watch Nintendo DS every game video. As much as I like that system it got even more crap simple/ugly games than any other system. As for amiga games usually those videos cover 80% of every games, usually missing some public domain games, new gamed from above 2000 and some rare not English games.

Foebane 17 May 2021 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by roondar (Post 1484293)
Two small comments:
1) This video doesn't show anywhere near all of the Amiga games. It does 15 seconds per game, which means it shows 1728 games in total. In reality, the Amiga has several thousand games.

It most likely shows every WHDLoad game as of the time of recording, however. That's what I meant by "everything". ;)

Quote:

2) The quality argument has never really worked. All systems, including the Japanese ones and the consoles, have far more poor/bad games than they have good ones. You can argue about percentages, but I find that doing so is usually more of fan-boy approach than anything that even remotely approaches realism.
I thought that Nintendo Seal of Approval, for example, was meant to ensure top quality games every time? They obviously failed, letting crap companies like LJN in.

roondar 17 May 2021 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1484401)
It most likely shows every WHDLoad game as of the time of recording, however. That's what I meant by "everything". ;)

Just be aware that the video misses quite a bit more games than it actually includes (there's something like 5000-7000 known Amiga games IIRC). That said, I would agree it does show a good cross-section of the library.
Quote:

I thought that Nintendo Seal of Approval, for example, was meant to ensure top quality games every time? They obviously failed, letting crap companies like LJN in.
Nah, Nintendo Seal of Approval was a marketing ploy designed to attack the 'everything goes' approach found on the Atari 2600. All it says is that Nintendo has checked that the game was properly licensed and that it won't damage your console. It doesn't actually tell anything about how good the game is.

dreadnought 17 May 2021 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1484188)
let's face it, most of pre 1990 games are crappy 16 color ST or C64 ports. They suck

Being a port does not mean a game is "crappy". All it means is that it might not utilise Amiga's full power, and while it can be perceived as disappointing it's also perfectly normal - that's how this market has worked throughout gaming history to this day.

Back then I didn't care a jot about all that, I was too happy being able to play multum of quality Amiga games, and yes, I mean pre-1990 ones too.

The fact remains that between ~1987-1991 (can stretch it to 1993, if you allow for those on a strict budget) Amiga was the best all-round platform for gaming. It had countless awesome computer-style games, as well as numerous quality console-style ones. And it's disappointing that in 2021 only the latter seem to be used as a yardstick.

saimon69 17 May 2021 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1484289)
The problem with the video is that it shows EVERYTHING, not just the most highly-regarded games by opinion, consensus or votes, but practically all of the Amiga's gaming output in its lifetime, all in one place, completely regardless of quality or not.

It does NOT shows everything, as far as i understood those are just games that got supported by WHDLoad, in example Powder is not there...

Foebane 17 May 2021 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by saimon69 (Post 1484439)
It does NOT shows everything, as far as i understood those are just games that got supported by WHDLoad, in example Powder is not there...

I already mentioned that I meant WHDLoad only. I thought the WHDLoad filenames displayed on the video were a dead giveaway. ;)

saimon69 17 May 2021 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1484451)
I already mentioned that I meant WHDLoad only. I thought the WHDLoad filenames displayed on the video were a dead giveaway. ;)

WE know but the OP of the video put this darn deceiving title:

All Commodore Amiga Games - Every Amiga Game In One Video

jotd 17 May 2021 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1484225)
Why did you delete your comment about hating cutesy games? Are you afraid you will be called out on it? I started a whole THREAD about it a couple of years ago and got roasted over the coals, because it seems people here LOVE "cutesy".

No, I didn't want to share my opinion about those games, because it's only my opinion and is therefore off topic here.

Now that you mention it, my opinion is that the platformer genre is overrepresented on the amiga just because the amiga is the best machine for it: it has hardware 2D scrolling, copper effects, bobs... so a ton of completely ininteresting yet cute platformers were created (I love Gods, Magic Pockets, Superfrog and Chuck Rock I & II, Toki, BC Kid, Titus The Fox, Fire & Ice, Lionheart, Beast series, Blues Brothers to name a few, but there are a lot of platformers that aren't original at all, slow, with monsters going left & right, no A.I so dumb monsters, no weapons, no upgrades and sometimes even no secret rooms, in a word BORING....)

d4rk3lf 18 May 2021 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steril707 (Post 1484176)
I just clicked into the timeline...

Hey.. don't cheat.. you need to watch whole 7 and a half hour video.
--------------

On topic:
When someone said to science fiction writer Sturgeon, that 90% of Sci/Fi is crap, he replied:
"Ninety percent of [science fiction] is crud, but then, ninety percent of everything is crud".

That later became Sturgeon's law