English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Other (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Amiga Explorer (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=45555)

simono71 19 June 2009 00:56

Amiga Explorer

I am trying to use Amiga Explorer and I am having problems. The issue I am having didn't seem to come up in the search. Hopefully someone can help me.

I have a Belkin F3X171-10 null modem cable that I have checked against the wiring diagram provided by Cloanto using a multi-meter and verified is ok. I have two Amigas (both USA), an Amiga 500 with 1meg and an A1000 with 512k. Unfortunately the serial port on the A1000 appears to be female and I don't have a gender changer so I can't use that machine. I am using Kick/Workbench 1.2 (Highest I have).

I have tried running the Amiga Explorer setup software on 3 of my XP PC's and get the same problem:-

When I setup the Amiga Explorer, I follow the prompts, type SER: to RAM:Setup in the CLI on the Amiga, then start the transfer going on the PC.

The instructions tell me nothing should happen on the Amiga when the transfer is complete, and that I should Ctrl-C the CLI window and then execute 'Setup' on the RAM disk.

However when the transfer finishes, it automatically opens a new window on the Amiga 500, called 'AExplorer', lists some details about the serial settings then closes and opens up a smaller window that says "Serial Connection cannot be opened" then closes and returns to the CLI.

If I inspect the RAM disk then there is nothing there. I have tried interupting the program with Ctrl-C as the instructions mention, but to no avail.

Obviously the connection is working at some point, or the AExplorer shell command couldn't be transferred and then run.

Does anyone have any ideas?

alexh 19 June 2009 01:08

Quote:

If I inspect the RAM disk then there is nothing there.
Choose "Show All" in workbench?

simono71 19 June 2009 01:16

I don't see a 'Show All' in the workbench, I am using Kick and Wb 1.2? I used a DIR RAM: and get nothing from within the CLI.

I tried using the AmigaBasic Terminal program demo and Hyperterminal and that works fine.

I don't know why the program is auto-starting and then complaining about no serial connection.

prowler 19 June 2009 01:56

Hi simono71,

I am an Amiga Explorer user, and I don't have any of the problems you are having.

Does your Amiga have a hard disk?

I use Amiga Expolorer with my A1200s. I have a WB 2.1 boot disk which I have copied the Amiga Explorer Amiga-side software to.

The Amiga doesn't even need a monitor. When the Amiga boots from the floppy, it acts as a server, so all the interaction takes place on the PC. Files can be moved backwards and forwards from the PC, which accesses the Amiga as if it were a machine connected to a network.

I can't see why all the CLI activity is necessary on your Amiga.

prowler

simono71 19 June 2009 02:05

I have an amiga 1000 and amiga 500, so no hard drive. The amiga 1000 has a female serial port so I can't try that machine till I get a gender changer.

The CLI work is what is necessary to 'boot' the system -> you can't load a PC disk under WB1.2 so you have no way of transferring the files to the Amiga (You can use cross doss, but unless you have that already in an Amiga format you are stuck). Hence the Amiga Explorer for older machines tries to bootstrap itself by first copying down a small setup program to the RAM disk, and then using that to transfer the whole Amiga Explorer program down.

According to the instructions the setup program should copy itself into the RAM disk, and then you Ctrl-C the CLI shell launch it manually from there. For me the setup program seems to be running itself at the end of the transfer and then complaining about the serial port. My guess is that the port is still in use from the SER: to RAM:Setup command you launch to get the setup program down in the first place.

I can't think why it would complain 'Serial connection cannot be opened' as the Terminal program from the Basic Extras disk works fine and opens the serial port, along with the CLI SER: command in the first place unless the port is already opened.

prowler 19 June 2009 02:15

Amiga Explorer is only going to be of very limited use to you without a hard disk. You're only going to be able to transer files back and forth from your PC to floppy disks, or do you have something else in mind?

PS. What version of Amiga Explorer are you using? I could mail you an Amiga disk with the program on. :)

simono71 19 June 2009 02:46

I appreciate the offer of sending a disk, however I live in the US so it might be a bit expensive.

I am using the trial version of 2009 to see if it works before purchase.

I primarily want to use it to transfer ADF files to disk as the used A1000 and A500 I bought both only came with system disks.

prowler 19 June 2009 02:50

I wouldn't offer to mail you a disk if the cost was going to put me off. ;)

I'll go and download the 2009 trial version now. :)

simono71 19 June 2009 02:55

Oh boy, I guess I must have been born on the minute, because I am definitely an idiot!!

I just realized my mistake, going through the AmigaDOS manual.

You have to type 'type SER: to RAM:setup' on the CLI. I was reading the type, as the action not the amigaDos command and simply typing 'SER: to RAM:setup' . I thought this seemed a bit of a strange command!.

Oh well, sorry to use up the bandwidth, but perhaps if some other idiot has the same 'problem' I did, this will help!!!!

Sorry guys...

prowler 19 June 2009 02:58

Is this the Amiga Explorer 2009 trial version I've just downloaded?
http://dl.cloanto.net/pub/amigaforever/aesetup_x86.msi

I couldn't find any claim that this is the new 2009 version. :shocked

simono71 19 June 2009 03:00

Yeah ...It doesn't mention 2009 edition, but when I installed it, thats what it says!

prowler 19 June 2009 03:02

Thanks. :great I should be able to register this with the serial number from my Amiga Forever 2008 Edition! :)