English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WinUAE 4.9.0 beta series (Was 4.5.0) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=104099)

Toni Wilen 05 January 2021 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad-Matt (Post 1450378)
Is G-Rex supported for testing in AmigaOS3 yet? (no issues at all in OS4)

As it stands enabling grex + voodoo results in a doubled screen res that doesn't line up with the buttons lol. Maybe something to do with built in mode promotion of the ppc cards that cant be disabled in later firmware.

The effect goes right through to workbench and selecting a voodoo screenmode somehow makes it look worse.

I disabled Voodoo "lores" check. I think this is some original VGA feature that gets disabled in SVGA+ modes. At least the image has correct width now. Didn't test if WB works correctly. winuae.7z updated.

Interesting G-Rex feature anyway. Which cards does it support? I added PCI Virge emulation just for fun and "promotion" was not enabled.

michaljarz 05 January 2021 20:50

Hello.
I have a little question. Starting from version 4.5.0b11 (including the last beta), I get a message that D3DCOMPILER_47.dll was not found at startup. Windows XP. Up to 4.5.0b10 everything was fine. Will Win XP still run WinUAE?

Best regards and I wish you all the best in the new year!
Michael

Toni Wilen 05 January 2021 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaljarz (Post 1451049)
Hello.
I have a little question. Starting from version 4.5.0b11 (including the last beta), I get a message that D3DCOMPILER_47.dll was not found at startup. Windows XP. Up to 4.5.0b10 everything was fine. Will Win XP still run WinUAE?

Official XP support was gone in 4.3. Perhaps it still works in DirectDraw mode or something. You are on your own, sorry. (Probably compiler or SDK update broke it finally completely)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1450983)
Looks like JIT FPU related. (always remember to test with JIT off!) Possibly some edge condition (infinity for example) that just worked accidentally, x86 FPU vs 6888x is far too different.

Debugging later..

Fixed. UAE FPU JIT feature was lost when Aranym merge was done.

White 06 January 2021 08:59

Toni, thanks for the reply,
i have to do other tests, currently i'm back to beta of the day version (winuae-32bit 2021-01-03) seems to have no problems like the ones i described above the ram can be increased without crashing.
Currently the latest official beta released (beta14) is very unstable at least for my personal use with 4.1.
Today I will do other tests to be more precise.

Toni Wilen 06 January 2021 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by White (Post 1451148)
Toni, thanks for the reply,
i have to do other tests, currently i'm back to beta of the day version (winuae-32bit 2021-01-03) seems to have no problems like the ones i described above the ram can be increased without crashing.
Currently the latest official beta released (beta14) is very unstable at least for my personal use with 4.1.
Today I will do other tests to be more precise.

If you are using 32-bit Windows, you are almost certainly running out of Windows per-process address space and/or it gets too fragmented. (which is only about 2G or so and everything, winuae itself, memory it allocates, Amiga address space, any dlls etc.. needs to fit there). Check memory usage differences between WinUAE versions using task manager.

PCI address space mapping needs lots of memory and it was increased recently to also support G-REX fully.

Mad-Matt 06 January 2021 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1451048)
Interesting G-Rex feature anyway. Which cards does it support? I added PCI Virge emulation just for fun and "promotion" was not enabled.

Initially it was for the BVision/CVision cards hanging off the minipci port. Very useful feature when just using one monitor and need to sort out boot issues.

I dont have a grex as they were limited and expensive on release and even more so now as much as id like to try one. So i'm not sure what cards support the feature connected this way. Unless you meant which cards have drivers in which case that would be Voodoo3/4/5, Virge and permedia2.

The low res issue persists on workbench although I had an 800x600 working on the virgepci for a few moments before a halt3 error. Edit: Seems 8 bit modes are working with some icon image corruption but 16/24 modes seem to get the low res mode treatment.

amilo3438 06 January 2021 13:12

fugazi by Old Bulls -> http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=17987

FYI
Glitches again in the latest winuae.7z on the 2nd part of the demo! (was fine in b14)
(same apply for Last A500 (Demo) by Oblivion at chess cube rotation part)

Edit:
Expiration (Demo) by Mayhem -> http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=10275

Glitches at cube rotation part! (was fine in beta11)

p.s. both demos tested in A500 quickstart config!

Toni Wilen 06 January 2021 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by amilo3438 (Post 1451190)

I know. Don't bother testing anything yet. I mentioned in changelogs that there is still some edge cases to fix.

Toni Wilen 06 January 2021 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad-Matt (Post 1451175)
Initially it was for the BVision/CVision cards hanging off the minipci port. Very useful feature when just using one monitor and need to sort out boot issues.

I dont have a grex as they were limited and expensive on release and even more so now as much as id like to try one. So i'm not sure what cards support the feature connected this way. Unless you meant which cards have drivers in which case that would be Voodoo3/4/5, Virge and permedia2.

The low res issue persists on workbench although I had an 800x600 working on the virgepci for a few moments before a halt3 error. Edit: Seems 8 bit modes are working with some icon image corruption but 16/24 modes seem to get the low res mode treatment.

Does CSPPC boot menu show correct device type for display card? (Class = Display Controller, SubClass = VGA) Just to confirm updated version was used.

Which drivers did you use? Where to download them? (must be exact same as you use as usual).

Mad-Matt 06 January 2021 18:46

Yeah, the pci menu looks fine. I think its been mentioned before that the FM801 Audio card knocks out the gfx card completely. (both med and grex)

Drivers can be found here. I am using the V4 drivers patched against the original cgx v4 cd.
https://grex.amigaworld.de/index.php?lang=en&page=40

White 07 January 2021 10:59

Toni
here is the log and configuration and dump
if i use the official beta i always get constant crashes
while instead with the beta of the day (winuae-32bit 2021-01-03)
this never happens.
Thanks.

separate note:
I replaced the geforce 970 with the 1060 6giga but I don't think it matters.

White 07 January 2021 11:22

If i increase the z3 ram from 256 to just 512 with or without a directory as archive i get this:

White 07 January 2021 16:58

I forgot to post "hardware info"

Toni Wilen 07 January 2021 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by White (Post 1451401)
Toni
here is the log and configuration and dump
if i use the official beta i always get constant crashes
while instead with the beta of the day (winuae-32bit 2021-01-03)
this never happens.
Thanks.

separate note:
I replaced the geforce 970 with the 1060 6giga but I don't think it matters.

Remove all the useless stuff as long as it still crashes. (Remove as many variables as possible). Fullscreen, harddrive (because it seems to crash even before booting starts) or at least replace it with a floppy drive + WB disk, RTG board and so on..

For example, remove whole PCI bridge. If crash stops, put it back and then try removing something else that is not needed.

White 07 January 2021 19:41

Toni
Thanks for the reply I will do other tests as you advised me.
The strange thing is that the beta of the day never crashes (winuae-32bit 2021-01-03)

Toni Wilen 07 January 2021 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by White (Post 1451588)
Toni
Thanks for the reply I will do other tests as you advised me.
The strange thing is that the beta of the day never crashes (winuae-32bit 2021-01-03)

It is not that strange. Official betas have higher optimization settings and if there are some bug(s), the higher the optimization, usually the worse the side-effect.

Toni Wilen 08 January 2021 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad-Matt (Post 1451175)

There seems to be some issue with g-rex drivers. Voodoo 3 does nothing. even cgxmode stops working when voodoo 3 is installed.

Virge appears to work (can't duplicate any lores issues) but it also hangs every time cgxmode test mode is exited, looks like it gets stuck in some gtlayout.library code..

EDIT: so some ready made HDF would be good again :)

Mad-Matt 08 January 2021 19:38

On it!

cgxmode doesnt work quite right with the voodoo but I can get the testcard on the virge. It oddly appears in a window instead fullscreen though.

White 08 January 2021 19:39

Toni
sorry for the question but the "DMA Capable" option on the Z3 ram
should be selected in a normal ppc configuration or not?
I almost solved the crash problem I was doing other tests

Thanks.

Toni Wilen 08 January 2021 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad-Matt (Post 1451874)
On it!

cgxmode doesnt work quite right with the voodoo but I can get the testcard on the virge. It oddly appears in a window instead fullscreen though.

Voodoo now works with G-REX driver. (But there appears to be missing icons randomly). G-Rex driver sets Voodoo graphics setup bits that should not be set and also does not clear bits that should be cleared..

Quote:

Originally Posted by White (Post 1451875)
Toni
sorry for the question but the "DMA Capable" option on the Z3 ram
should be selected in a normal ppc configuration or not?
I almost solved the crash problem I was doing other tests

Don't touch any of those extended memory options unless you know exactly what are you doing. DMA capable should be always set if use high end config or you will get lots of trouble.. (=any DMA capable HD controller would stop working etc..)

Also don't try to "solve" crashes.. It helps no one. EDIT: as in don't try to work around it but try to find the exact cause.