English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.FS-UAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   FS-UAE - Progress report (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=100873)

FrodeSolheim 29 June 2020 15:18

Just a quick update from me re. status. Among other things, I recently bough a house (happened somewhat quicker that anticipated), so spare time has been in limited supply the past few weeks. It looks like I'll be doing quite a bit of painting/gardering/fixing throughout the summer. Just wanted to let you know so you don't think anything is amiss, except temporarily less time for hobbies :)

amigafreak68k 29 June 2020 17:10

Yes! I know, what you mean :D

ReaperX 29 June 2020 20:44

Thank you, that's great to know.

Northgrove 02 August 2020 19:03

Good luck with the house! Being busy there during the precious summer months is understandable. :)

Nikoh77 23 September 2020 15:24

Hi Frode, there is some feature for better experience with CRT display?

FrodeSolheim 01 October 2020 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikoh77 (Post 1429485)
Hi Frode, there is some feature for better experience with CRT display?

Nothing particular planned in that regard, no. (I also don't have any CRT monitor myself anymore, so probably not something I'll focus on optimizing for).

enzoboss 07 January 2021 09:21

I thought that for the Christmas holidays you would have given us a nice gift with the final version of FS-Uae and still nothing.
Any news?

FrodeSolheim 10 January 2021 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoboss (Post 1451388)
I thought that for the Christmas holidays you would have given us a nice gift with the final version of FS-Uae and still nothing. Any news?

That would indeed have been nice, but it isn't in a 4.0-releasable state yet. Between the new house, and also a new daughter (!), I didn't find enough time.

It is coming along quite nicely though. Currently working on video rendering improvements (and re-implementing v-sync) as well as getting it to run better on Raspberry Pi 4(00).

It might be time to start releasing development snapshots soon, if people are interested in testing - and accept that several configuration options are still not supported yet (mostly related to presentation, not emulation).

BastyCDGS 11 January 2021 13:34

Hi Frode!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim (Post 1452288)
That would indeed have been nice, but it isn't in a 4.0-releasable state yet. Between the new house, and also a new daughter (!), I didn't find enough time.

I've seen it on the git repository. The new fsemu now works with my A4000 config using uaegfx. Half a year ago it didn't boot properly. Great work so far!

Quote:

It might be time to start releasing development snapshots soon, if people are interested in testing - and accept that several configuration options are still not supported yet (mostly related to presentation, not emulation).
I'm still interested in testing. Could you merge WinUAE 4.5 changes when final is released by Toni? I then will do intense testing to check whether everything works!

PS: Happy new year and christmas (yes, I know, it's a bit late, but hadn't been online here for a while)!

amigafreak68k 12 January 2021 10:17

Hi Frode,

I'm interessted in the progress of the developer version. How near is it to the actual WinUAE version?

Some interessting features of WinUAE I like to see in FS-UAE as well. Like Voodoo 3 support and uae expansions. Can you please make some statements about it?

BastyCDGS 12 January 2021 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by amigafreak68k (Post 1452860)
Hi Frode,

I'm interessted in the progress of the developer version. How near is it to the actual WinUAE version?

git has merged WinUAE 4.2 (see approciate thread) for now.
Most stuff of WinUAE 4.2 works now, I did lots of testing.

Quote:

Some interessting features of WinUAE I like to see in FS-UAE as well. Like Voodoo 3 support and uae expansions. Can you please make some statements about it?
That's why I was asking for merging final WinUAE 4.5 ;)

FrodeSolheim 12 January 2021 16:19

In reply to @amigafreak68k and @BastyCDGS:

I will probably merge WinUAE 4.5 code into FS-UAE 4.0, and probably like this:
- First release one or more development versions based on the current WinUAE 4.2 code.
- Then merge in WinUAE 4.3 code - release at least one dev version based on it.
- Repeat for 4.4 and 4.5

One reason for this is that merging code is *sometimes* quite tricky and subtle bugs can appear (Immediate and reproducible crashes are usually easily resolved). So it can be useful for other people to be able to test problems with FS-UAE versions based on the 4.2 code, so that I can know if the problem was introduced before or after merging more recent WinUAE code.

Merging in code does not automatically bring with it new features. Voodoo 3 support might require additional adaption (and sometimes also fixes in order to make code portable to Linux/macOS also).

EDIT: Also thanks BastyCDGS for testing stuff in the git version, I didn't know I already had some outside testing of stuff there :)

As for UAE expansions, I'm not sure which ones you mean @amigafreak68k. But the version in git now, supports running AmigaOS 4.1 with UAE file system (etc), and I also got x86 bridgeboards working, among other things.

alkis 24 January 2021 10:50

Thanks for your work!

I tried the current master from git (kubuntu 20.04). Compiled ok. Core dumped when starting.
I had to modify fsemu_refable_ref_refable to just return on parameter being NULL. Seems to be working now.

diff --git a/fsemu/src/fsemu-refable.c b/fsemu/src/fsemu-refable.c
index e215dceb..17541b7e 100644
--- a/fsemu/src/fsemu-refable.c
+++ b/fsemu/src/fsemu-refable.c
@@ -45,7 +45,10 @@ static bool fsemu_refable_check_magic(fsemu_refable_t *refable)

void fsemu_refable_ref_refable(fsemu_refable_t *refable)
{
- if (!fsemu_refable_check_magic(refable)) {
+ if (!refable)
+ return;
+
+ if (!fsemu_refable_check_magic(refable)) {
return;
}
refable->ref_count += 1;

FrodeSolheim 24 January 2021 11:16

@alkis Yes, I did push a broken commit yesterday evening :-/ The fix is slightly different (higher-level). I've fixed a commit with a fix and also added the missing LED images which I also did not include by mistake :)

alkis 24 January 2021 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim (Post 1456202)
@alkis Yes, I did push a broken commit yesterday evening :-/ The fix is slightly different (higher-level). I've fixed a commit with a fix and also added the missing LED images which I also did not include by mistake :)

Yeap, works! Thanks!

McNoise 27 March 2021 15:16

Dear FrodeSolheim and other developers,

For ages I have been struggling with Amiga emulation on the Mac when it comes to Midi. I have made countless semi-professional midi-only songs with Octamed and would like to rework them. But it just doesn't work via Parallels, MED Soundstudio or OctaMED via WinUAE. I do get the songs to play via Midi over LAN but there are always note dropouts and my synthesizer does not accept the transfer of sysex dumps in this way at all. There are hails of errors. I do have the option of transferring the dumps directly from the Mac, but that is incredibly inconvenient. It would be much easier if FS-UAE on the Mac supported mid. Then OctaMED on the emulated Mac could communicate directly with the Mac midi interface. I'm sure everything would work very well then. I know when I had a Windows machine, everything worked very well with WinUAE.

I have read that with FS-UAE version 4 there will finally be midi support. So I was wondering if I could get a pre-release version for the Mac to try it out?

I would be really very grateful for help!

BR Alex

FrodeSolheim 27 March 2021 23:21

@McNoise Sure, I can send details to you in a couple of days or so? I'm working on an automatic update feature in the new Launcher which could be nice to have in place first. Also, haven't actually tested the MIDI functionality on macOS, so I should do that first so I an give proper instruction on how to configure FS-UAE for it.

McNoise 28 March 2021 09:18

That sounds fantastic! Thank you. :bowdown

I am very excited! :spin

Foul 31 March 2021 17:19

It's been a while since there was a new major release? something planned in this direction? :)

FrodeSolheim 10 April 2021 20:45

@Foul and everyone else, please see http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106562 ("Want to try builds of the new FS-UAE & Launcher?") if interested :)