English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Other (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Creating ADF images (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56676)

Dreedo 06 December 2010 00:09

Creating ADF images

I can't remember if i asked this before in one of my many threads, but i can't seem to find it again so apparently not.

Anyway obviously i'm a fool and can't figure out what to do with the downloads from Aminet, with them being the actual files of the game rather than a good old ADF file.

I want to be able to play them on my real Amiga rather than an emulator.

I tried just putting the files onto my CF card and copying to a floppy, that didn't work obviously... I don't know of a way to make an ADF file with things actually IN it. I can easily click the button in WinUAE which makes a blank 880kb disk image, but i don't know how to put the games from Aminet into the ADF.

Any help appreciated, thanks. :)

Redwood 06 December 2010 01:12

I'm a little unclear on what exactly you are trying to accomplish, but assuming you have an ADF file and want to write it back to floppy disk, you'll need to use a tool like TSGUI (http://aminet.net/disk/misc/tsgui.lha) or TRANSADF (http://aminet.net/disk/misc/TransADF.lha).

If you have a DMS file you've downloaded from Aminet, you'll need the DMS tool to write it back to floppy disk (http://aminet.net/util/arc/dms111.run).

s2325 06 December 2010 01:27

If you have files from LHA archive download ADF View, make empty ADF file with bootblock and copy + paste your files extracted from archive to opened ADF. Look which file of game should be executable. Transfer and insert disk to floppy drive, type executable file name in CLI. ADF View will integrate with Explorer.

Dreedo 06 December 2010 01:48

Ok thanks S2325, i'll try it out in the morning. :)

Sorry if i wasn't clear Redwood. :)

Mmmm i tried doing Knockout 2, the extracted files are listed as being 836kb, but it works out at just over 900kb when inside an ADF file, so i can't create an ADF of it.

I tried removing the music editor from ADF and it fitted on then, but when i tried running the game in WinUAE, i was asked to insert WB, which i did, then i inserted the KO2.adf back in and it booted the game up, it started decompressing the files and then stopped saying it had run out of memory.

Booting directly from the disk doesn't seem to work.

Arnie 06 December 2010 11:52

If you only have 1mb of memory then you may get the "out of memory message".

Try starting with no startup sequence and typing "knockout" at the prompt (without the quotes).

I think this game is best run from a HD and with at least 2mb of memory.

Dreedo 06 December 2010 13:24

Typing in knockout when i insert the floppy at bootup returns a 'xec.library' message, presumably its a required library that isn't included?

Arnie 06 December 2010 13:32

I've made an ADF for you. The only thing missing from the disk is the Guide.

In the Zone, works on kick2 and above. Tested on Winuae A600 default config.

Dreedo 06 December 2010 13:55

Thanks for that, i can load the game up now, but could you tell me how to select a vehicle? I entered a game with no vehicle selected and i couldn't see myself or anyone else. :P

The vehicle editor says there are 2 vehicles in the game.

s2325 06 December 2010 14:04

If you only have 1Mb of memory, then you may be recieving "Out of Memory" error messages. Knockout 2 does it's best to handle low memory sitations, by closing Workbench deleting the menu music, skipping the intro, etc, but there is only so much it can do. If you are running it from Workbench, then try loading it from "No Startup-Sequence" in the boot menu. Also, try deleting a vehicle or two (leave at least one though!) and don't attach names.

To move around the menu, use the arrow keys and return or the joystick. The options are :

START - start the game.

SOUND - toggles the amount of sound in the game, being either MUSIC, MUSIC+FX or FX. The music is loaded randomly from those in the Music directory.

GAME TYPE - toggles the game type, being either NORMAL, BALL, TEAM, MAGNET or ELASTIC. Read the @{"instructions" link instr} for more on these playing modes.

FRICTION - alters the amount of skiddyness. The smaller the bar, the more you'll skid around and the faster the game will be!

CIRCLE SIZE - alters the size of the circle at the beginning of each game. The longer the bar, the larger the circle.

FIRST TO - decides the number of wins before a winner is declared! Possible values are 5, 10, 20 and infinity (so you can play forever!)

CONTROLS - chooses the control method for each player. Either one of the keyboard or joystick controls, CPU (for computer controlled) or OFF (to turn "off" the player).

VEHICLE - chooses the vehicle for each player. Each vehicle has the same friction, responses etc.

NAME - the name for each player. There is a limit for the length of the name - 16 pixels, for technical reasons. Sorry! Better stick to initials.

SAVE SETUP - saves everything as defined above, to be automatically loaded when you next run Knockout 2.

QUIT - quit Knockout 2 and return to Workbench.

Dreedo 06 December 2010 14:12

Thanks for that, but i still cant select any cars, the vehicle box is just blank, and theres no way to change it, i've pressed every key on my keyboard... any help? :/

s2325 06 December 2010 14:17

Size of 'vehicles' directory is only 5KB, maybe something is missing.

Arnie 06 December 2010 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2325 (Post 720633)
Size of 'vehicles' directory is only 5KB, maybe something is missing.

I think it needs another library, I'm noy sure if I can fit it any more onto the disk though.

To run this game as it is:

1. Boot from the WB disk.
2. Insert the Knockout disk and start knockout.
You will be prompted to insert your WB disk/Knockout disk.

If you only have 1mb chip then boot Wb with no Startup-Sequence
and at the prompt type "loadwb" press return and then type "endcli"
and press return.
Insert the Knockout disk and start knockout.

Dreedo 06 December 2010 14:55

how do you boot up with no startup sequence? Sorry. lol

TCD 06 December 2010 14:57

Hold down both mouse buttons on boot and go to 'advanced'.

Dreedo 06 December 2010 15:04

Ok thanks i'll try it now. :)

Quote:

1. Boot from the WB disk.
2. Insert the Knockout disk and start knockout.
You will be prompted to insert your WB disk/Knockout disk.

If you only have 1mb chip then boot Wb with no Startup-Sequence
and at the prompt type "loadwb" press return and then type "endcli"
and press return.
Insert the Knockout disk and start knockout.
Booting the game like this displays the vehicles. :)

Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT: Runs out of memory after playing a bit, not worth the trouble if your on a 1mb system i dont think, i heavily doubt you can play a 5 player game like he says, i played 2 2 player ones and it crashed after starting the 3rd.

Arnie 06 December 2010 16:59

Ok, fixed version now in the zone. If you downloaded the old one please re download this one.

Tested in Winuae A600 1mb chip default.

Dreedo 06 December 2010 17:49

Thanks, tried a few 5 player games, after 4 it still hadn't run out of memory. :)