English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   request.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   JPEG to IFF Coverter (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=48538)

W4r3DeV1L 03 November 2009 21:38

JPEG to IFF Coverter

Hello!

Do you have any idea of what Windows program can convert Jpeg pictures into .IFF in order to create some backdrops pictures.

I would like to create some AGA backdrops to customize my A1200.

many Thanks

DH 03 November 2009 21:39

xnview mate :) http://www.xnview.com/en/xnview.html

Supamax 03 November 2009 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser (Post 611860)

400 supported formats!!! WOW!! :bowdown

DH 03 November 2009 21:51

I know, I've been using it for ages ;) It works very well, especially if you want to batch process stuff :)

Photon 04 November 2009 02:28

That looks like a "how it should be done" app, and that includes the website as well. In fact, from the download options and compatibility with 64-bit OSes, I'm tempted to say it's a fellow Pascal/Delphi coder that made it, or possibly a knowledgable C++ coder.

DDNI 04 November 2009 10:43

I have long been using Irfanview, must now go look at this xn view...

StingRay 04 November 2009 10:47

I never liked xnview, Irfanview ftw!

Photon 04 November 2009 16:42

Also, don't forget ACDsee 32 v 2.4 - last version before they were bought up and it turned to crap ;)

I use that every day - doubleclick an image, get fullscreen display, scroll mousewheel to flip through the rest of the folder... VROOM!

It can also show iff and save in various formats, save sequences as anims. Unfortunately not iff/ilbm.

Retro-Nerd 04 November 2009 17:58

IrfanView, no doubt. :great

fstarred 26 April 2018 11:25

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I tried XnConvert to convert a JPG to IFF, however the result is not as expected (see the attachments).
I 've used just 3/4 colors on the original source.
Where am I wrong? :confused

scuzz 26 April 2018 22:37

Dunno I either use PPaint on the Amiga or Photoshop on the PC. I just saved your image as a jpg and then took it into Photoshop and saved as Amiga IFF and then viewed it using Thumbsplus and it looks exactly the same as the jpg . I'll go take the image to an Amiga and use PPaint and see what that looks like.

One thing I guess is that the right hand image is bigger than the left. For them to be the same proportion the right image would need to be 481 high.

OK I took the file to an Amiga 1200 and ran with PPaint. The current file was identified as 640x256x8 colours and 10270 in size. PPaint opened this as 256x160x16777216 colours and the image looked exactly the same. I then saved as IFF, GIF, BMP, PNG etc etc and with DOpus the image opened as 20636 size as IFF and looked perfect and no disturbance. I then took the image into DPaint and wanted to change format to 320x200x256 and I said no. The image then appeared as a perfect square and no disturbance on the screen. Funny thing was that when I selected screen format the image went wonky for a split second as it opened the menu and I could see all the dithering on your picture. But as soon as I opened the image it was gone.

I then saved the image to disk and transferred to USB and loaded back into Photoshop as an IFF the size is now 320 x 200 and 20.15K from 48.29 and strangely has a black frame to the right and bottom edge which is not visible on the Amiga. Its an issue with the screen resolution on the Amiga and cus I declined the stretch. It could be the stretching that causes the issue. I don't use a converter I use paint packages and or Thumbsplus to save in different formats. I like to see what is going on. There are any number of graphics converters for the Amiga. Have fun.

scuzz

fstarred 27 April 2018 15:22

@scuzz

Thank you very much for the effort!

Amiga1992 27 April 2018 16:00

1 Attachment(s)
Not long ago I started using xnview(NG) as my main picture viewer and recently discovered its conversion options and I think it's fan-fucking-tastic! It does a great job of converting stuff to IFF and it's SUPER FAST. I'm never using PPaint for this again.

I always thought Irfanview looked a bit dated/unprofessional, but xnview is just great.
There are issues when converting JPEG to IFF though, JPEG is lossy and that pic you posted above is showing all the artifaction of JPEG compression on the converted image.
But i don't know why it looks like that. I just used XnView to convert it to a 16 color IFF and it looked just fine:

fstarred 27 April 2018 23:16

Wow Akira you made my day I was a bit worried on still using dpaint :D

Crazy C 14 February 2020 15:42

jpg/png to IFF ILBM converter for Amiga/Android?

Is there such a converter for Android or for Amiga OS 3.1?

jarre 14 February 2020 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4Ni3L3 (Post 611858)
Hello!

Do you have any idea of what Windows program can convert Jpeg pictures into .IFF in order to create some backdrops pictures.

I would like to create some AGA backdrops to customize my A1200.

many Thanks

On emulation or real amiga use adpro, i got very good results with it.......