English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Amiga Game Factory (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Tiny Bobble (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=103465)

pink^abyss 08 August 2020 14:00

Tiny Bobble

Hi,

i currently finish an Arcade port of Bobble Bobble called
TINY BOBBLE for Amiga 500 OCS + 0.5fast.

Of course there is already a very nice Amiga version but it's
an Atari ST port and i wondered how the game could look when
it would be custom tailored for A500 OCS. So i tried..

Here are some improvements over the original amiga game that you
will find in TINY BOBBLE:

50 fps (instead of 25fps)
32 colors (instead of 16)
150 items (instead of 40?)
Original screen height of 224 pixel (was only 200 pixel)
Almost all sprite animations (had only ~20% of animations)
Progress Screen (was not available)
Animated Extend screen (was not animated)
Big Score images (was not available)
Single file (needed a disk)
Animated intro (no bubbles were available)
Animated Boss fight (was a still image)
Multiple endings (hand only one ending)

Tiny Bobble doesn't use any assets or code from the original amiga version.

The game is not exactly tiny, it's around 180kb, but as it has much
more content then the orignal amiga version i still consider it tiny :).
Release should be this month.

UPDATE - BETA VERSION AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD
http://www.abyss-online.de/eab/TinyBobble_Beta_RC4.adf

Here are some images:
http://www.abyss-online.de/eab/tinybobble_title.png

http://www.abyss-online.de/eab/tinybobble.png

DamienD 08 August 2020 14:03

Awesome :great

Love your "Tiny" series ;)

crazyc 08 August 2020 14:03

Does it keep all the same logic about when the various bonuses appear?
Looks good and I love bubble bobble so looking forwards to this.

manossg 08 August 2020 14:09

The original port missed a lot of the 'secrets' that made this game so much fun to play in the arcades, such as the ability to trap the enemy in the bubble and smash the bubble almost immediately after (lovingly called 'little kiss' in Greece). I hope this gets implemented in this port!

I am a fan of these tiny games as well!

pink^abyss 08 August 2020 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by manossg (Post 1419140)
The original port missed a lot of the 'secrets' that made this game so much fun to play in the arcades, such as the ability to trap the enemy in the bubble and smash the bubble almost immediately after (lovingly called 'little kiss' in Greece). I hope this gets implemented in this port!

You know, the meta game of Bubble Bobble is much bigger then the actual game :spin However, i tried to include many secrets from the arcade version, but i'm certain i missed some of the subtleties of the arcade machine. So it should feel much more identical to the arcade then the original amiga version.

pink^abyss 08 August 2020 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by manossg (Post 1419140)

:laughing yeah.. this was quite hard to replicate to feel like in the arcade, but its there.

pink^abyss 08 August 2020 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1419138)
Awesome :great

Love your "Tiny" series ;)

Thanks Damien. There is more to come ;)

pink^abyss 08 August 2020 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyc (Post 1419139)
Does it keep all the same logic about when the various bonuses appear?
Looks good and I love bubble bobble so looking forwards to this.

I inlcuded about 70 of the rules how boni are spawned. However, some of the super rare ones (like never loosing a live until round 30 and similar) got canned because my time is limited, but the mechanisms of Bubble Bobble seem infinite.

crazyc 08 August 2020 14:21

Fantastic!

manossg 08 August 2020 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by pink^abyss (Post 1419143)
:laughing yeah.. this was quite hard to replicate to feel like in the arcade, but its there.

You rock, man, can't wait to try it out on my A500! Until now, only the CPC had a decent port with the secrets, it's time for the Amiga to get one as well!

Havie 08 August 2020 15:47

Wow - one of my all time favourites and always been disappointed with the Amiga version - no more! Great work.

Amigajay 08 August 2020 16:05

Great job looks fantastic!

roondar 08 August 2020 16:48

Ooh, another one of my favourite games gets the "tiny" treatment. Looking forward to it :)

Neil79 08 August 2020 17:23

:great:great:great

pink^abyss 08 August 2020 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havie (Post 1419155)
Wow - one of my all time favourites and always been disappointed with the Amiga version - no more! Great work.

Wait for it :) I hope Tiny Bobble will please you more.

DanyPPC 08 August 2020 17:30

Well Done !

skyzoo73 08 August 2020 17:38

I always thought that more could be expected from Bubble Bobble on the Amiga, and while it was a good conversion it lacked small details. Seeing this new port properly done excites me, I can't wait to try it on my Amiga500. Congratulations to the author, you are proceeding fast towards the Olympus of Amiga developers! Great!:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

pink^abyss 08 August 2020 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyzoo73 (Post 1419180)
I always thought that more could be expected from Bubble Bobble on the Amiga, and while it was a good conversion it lacked small details. Seeing this new port properly done excites me, I can't wait to try it on my Amiga500. Congratulations to the author, you are proceeding fast towards the Olympus of Amiga developers! Great!:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

Thanks for your kind words, but please wait for the release before getting too excited :laughing Bubble Bobble plays not easy on the amiga hardware with its many bubbles and 2 players on screen and somewhat complex behavior for the bubbles. I'm sure my version will have as many quirks as the many conversion for other systems.

Also the development is only possible because i stand on the shoulders of giants with the help from Bartman and his 'VSCODE Amiga' plugin which lets me see where the performance of blitter,copper and cpu goes for every cycle. Developers in the past could have only dreamt of it.

Jobbo 08 August 2020 18:07

This looks incredible! I played the heck out of the ST version and that was already quite good, this looks perfect!

I'm curious what approach you've taken, it seems harder than necessary to recreate all the mechanics by hand as was normally the case for ports back in the day. Did you use the original code for reference?

Rainbow Islands was another great port on the ST and Amiga. I've always hoped someone would take the Amiga version and update it with a taller screen, more colors and better use of the Amiga hardware. Or you might just rewrite it by hand as a tiny version for us :)

Antiriad_UK 08 August 2020 18:23

Wow you are really coding at speed!

Have you done a pretracker version of the music? - I loved that in the arcade and imagine pretracker would be well suited.