English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   measuring in layout - lightwave (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=83158)

source 18 June 2016 15:49

measuring in layout - lightwave

I am finally trying to learn lightwave and have created a number of objects in modeler in inches. When I try to set them up in layout placement of the objects seems to be relative. Is there a way to change the layout grid to inches or move objects in inch increments?
Thanks for the help

emufan 19 June 2016 00:20

1 Attachment(s)
cool, a lightwave user - allmost missed this post :D

i'm not so advanced as i wish, but a little bit i found.
attached from the toaster/lightwave manual describes how the grid square size in layout has to be understand.
the grid is just some kind of reference, without a certain unit.
the grid square size you can change by using [] keys.
just hit F1 in layout, there is a help page.
snap-to-grid is a modeller only feature on some occasions - i think layout does not have this.
when you place/move/rotate an object you can always use the n-key (numeric) this may help too somehow.

btw. I recommend the Lightwave Pro tutorials - they are a good source to learn lightwave. there are some more lightwave related magazines at bombjack - just in case you missed them :)

source 24 June 2016 18:02

Thanks for the reply. It so happens that the layout screen is in meters. Once I converted the inches over to meters everything lined up. Now I am just trying to create ground instead of just using the ground gradient. I would like to have it looing like grass and receive shadows.

emufan 24 June 2016 19:28

i thought you already gave up, thanks for info about the grid size :D

i've uploaded a grass tutorial onto the ftp server: ~Uploads/emu/Tutorials/Lightwave.3D-Grass.Tutorial.pdf
made in 6.5 but can be made in any version.

another short wavey grass tutorial by Dan Ablan you can find here.

source 24 June 2016 20:18

Thanks I have printed them and will give them a try. Sorry for the delay. Work has been a little busy and I was not able to set aside much time to play.

source 24 June 2016 20:21

Which version of Lightwave to you use? Which renderling package do you like the best? I have Lightwave 5.0, Aladdin 4D, Imagein 5.0, and I think a copy of Real 3D somewhere. I however only have dabbled with Imagine back in the 90's. I have not used the others.

emufan 24 June 2016 20:41

np with the delay, it's just cool someone else is still playing with those old apps :)
i'm using Lightwave.3D_v5.0r from the fileserver.
recently i played with 3-D professional 1.5 - it has some nice color shading of the scene
in preview/modeller mode - but a bit buggy and ultra slow rendering.
in the early days i was stunned by Sculpt 3D, i think the first 3d package i got hold on.
videoscape was nice as well, silver, imagine, real3d - most the time only rotating cubes :D
but lightwave was always my favorite app, even aladdin for example had some cool features.

source 25 June 2016 00:20

I am going to try the grass tutorial tonight.
Thanks