English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Strange happenings in games. (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=3141)

Paul 25 January 2002 12:54

Strange happenings in games.

Have you ever had anything strange happen with the game play of an Amiga game?

I can think of a couple of things that happened to me. It is possible that these were my fault rather than bugs, but you never know!

Kings Quest V for instance. When outside Crispin’s cottage, I somehow clicked too many times and ended up climbing the tree onto the roof and preceded to walk in mid air all across the top of the screen! Other times throughout the game I sometimes got a white alert box with words to the effect of “Oops! You did something we were not expecting you to do.” (or something like that!)

In a demo I had of Beneath a Steel Sky, on the first screen, the character kept walking up the screen, in mid air, and disappear off of the top of the screen, then a green strip started flashing before it crashed with software failure!

oldpx 25 January 2002 13:29

I was playing a shoot'em up game that I cannot recall the name. It was written in blitz basic and it had the word blitz in it's name somewhere. I had to keep the left mouse button pressed all the time so that the game could run. When I released my finger, the game just paused and I had to keep it pressed to keep it unpaused!

In the platform/shoot em up game named Arabian Nights, I renamed the file names of the level maps so that I could play the platform levels as shoot em up and vice versa.

Tim Janssen 25 January 2002 14:03

Guru meditation

The only strange things that occasionally happened were those scary Guru Meditations that popped up once in a while when I played a bad crack of a game for too long. ;)

Andrew 25 January 2002 22:05

Jimmy Whites Whirlind Snooker

I remember playing Jimmy Whites Whirlind Snooker and smacking the ball point blank at one of the cussions. The ball went under the table. I hit the ball around a couple of times around on the floor and you could see the table in the distance. This was on my 500+. Very strange!!!

Amiga1992 25 January 2002 23:05

Re: Strange happenings in games.

Quote:

Originally posted by Paul
“Oops! You did something we were not expecting you to do.” (or something like that!)
Yes, this happened to me in Larry 2. These old Sierra games have a debug mode, where you could do all kinds of strange shit. I dont remember how I activated it in larry 2 (it was accidentally), but when I did, I could Ctrl+Lclick anywhere in the map and larry would automatically appear there.... No more walking :P. Other things happened, there was also a teleport command, and sometimes this message appeared, when I fucked up good with the game. It was quite fun :)

penguin 06 March 2002 18:51

yep...
how about:
when i used to play settlers for hours on end, then switched off, closed it down, and took the disks out etc. i would wake up a couple of hours after going to bed to see BOTH lights on my a500+ on, as the computer was trying to access the disk. even though it was switched off... and it only happened after i'd been playing settlers too...

how bizarre do you want to get?

RetroMan 06 March 2002 18:57

Great Giana Sisters

Sometimes when I jump into the ground to get some extra Diamonds, I come back to the normal Level Screen and can walk on top of the screen till the level ends :D

DPainter 06 March 2002 19:52

I remember playing Racing Destruction Set on the C64 and jumping my vehicle completely off the track into a strange, non-tiled area I dubbed Pixel Land.

If you can play the original arcade Pac-Man to level 255, you'll see a screwed up split screen.

There must be many as yet undiscovered easter eggs in many games. I recall hearing that Sinistar had a programmer easter egg that even the programmers had forgotten how to access.

RetroMan 06 March 2002 19:54

Wasn´t there a page about Easter Eggs in Amiga games :confused Anyone still got the link ?

Drake1009 06 March 2002 21:21

Well if the Sinistar egg was like the Pac-man one I'd pity the poor person who'd have to get to level 200+ to get it. That game is darn hard.

minded 06 March 2002 21:32

Giana sisters level 3:

When i jumped up the first thing i did i appeared under the ground (try it).

Codetapper 06 March 2002 21:37

Ivan Ironman Stewarts

On the second track (the one with the continual left/right chicane at the top of it) if you boost near the top left corner of the screen at the right time you end up flying into the grandstand and get stuck there until you lose the race!

TikTok 07 March 2002 01:12

When I had my HD fitted to my A600 about 7 years ago, the floppy drive light stopped working. A loose connection I guess. Then yesterday I was playing Alien Breed 92, and the drive light started working again. After 7 years :). Then I played other games and it stopped working! Only AB92 seems to make my drive light work now :confused.

Dastardly 13 March 2002 00:39

When I tried to load SPY V's SPY on my original Amiga500, it completely killed the machine stone cold dead!!
I know it was probably ready for going anyway, but I never tried that game again, just in case.
I didnt mind anyway because my A500 was still under guarantee so I took it back (without the games) they swapped it for another machine and gave me NEW copies of all the games I already had!
:cool Which I then sold. :)

Miggy2TheMax 24 December 2002 02:03

ok, this one happened in SF2 (original) on an arcade machine. I think you follow the following joystick button movements.

up up down down left left right right heavy_punch medium_punch

and the result is you get hex pouring down the screen. Looks funky, I think there are many other sets of moves that have other features. I wonder if anyone has documented them, it was supposed to used by the manufacturers for debugging.. who knows.

Ash 24 December 2002 08:51

Re: Jimmy Whites Whirlind Snooker

Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew
I remember playing Jimmy Whites Whirlind Snooker and smacking the ball point blank at one of the cussions. The ball went under the table. I hit the ball around a couple of times around on the floor and you could see the table in the distance. This was on my 500+. Very strange!!!
I think this gae was meant to be silly
I remember reading a review saying that if you left the game for awhile that the balls would make faces and stuff

manicx 24 December 2002 10:26

In the Kick Off 2 version cracked by Oracle there is a bug that the ball can go behind the net and the ball can still be played! However, if one of the players touch the ball behind the net, the ref whistles either for a corner kick or goal kick.

Once, the ball went behind the net, I kicked the ball away and ref didn't whistle for anything. We could play KO2 beyond the Final Frontier ::laughing !!! We thought to continue playing until we see what happens. My pal scored a goal, but it didn't count because the line was not there for the ref. The game continued as normal!!!! Suddenly I was awarded a foul kick, two minutes after the goal that was never a goal. While being ready to fire my lethal shot, the ref whistled and yes, we had a goal!!! That was the goal from two minutes ago!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say that me, Alkis21 and our other pal fell on the floor and burst crying from laughs...

adolescent 24 December 2002 18:10

I sprained my ankle once playing Battle Chess on my old A500. Does that count?

Paul 05 March 2003 11:40

Thought I bring this topic to life again :)

Amigaboy 05 March 2003 11:45

Quote:

Originally posted by Paul
Thought I bring this topic to life again :)
hmmmm. Why exactly?
Unless someone legitimately has something to say, there's no need to push up a thread just for the hell of it....