English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. Asm / Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Amiga 1000 pseudo fast ram (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=110729)

remz 24 May 2022 03:40

Amiga 1000 pseudo fast ram

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this was already asked before, but I just thought of that when ready about the fact that Amiga 1000 read kickstart directly from floppy into a special "write once RAM".

With that in mind, my question is:
Would it be technically possible to code game which would install itself as a "kickstart" in 256KB, and then that game would be running off that special locked ram which is (probably?) running as fast as fast ram?
This would leave the default 256KB of real chip ram completely free.

Of course this would make such technique only compatible with the amiga 1000; But still I wondered if it was ever done?

Matt_H 24 May 2022 03:48

It has been done, but not often. I have a vague recollection of reading about Dragon's Lair being one of the few games that did this, but I'm not certain.

bloodline 24 May 2022 09:06

I’ve not really spent much time looking at the Write once RAM daughter board on my A1000, but I do know that the RAM chips on there are DRAMs… if the board doesn’t have any hardware to refresh those chips (it might have), then it will need to use Agnus to refresh them and the ram access speed would be no faster than SlowRAM.

phx 24 May 2022 18:02

It would be the same speed as the Kickstart "ROM", once loaded into the A1000's WOM. But is it really slower than the A500's ROM? Never heard that before... :shocked

Toni Wilen 24 May 2022 18:22

It should have real fast ram speeds. It has no connections to Agnus chip ram side bus/signals and 74LS393 (2x4 bit binary counter) probably is used as a refresh counter.

paraj 24 May 2022 20:12

Should be easy enough to measure, right? Maybe there's some extra fun emulation issues with the refreshes :)

Is it possible to get a >7MHz accelerator board with fast ram for the A1000? In that case wouldn't it have to limit access speed to the "ROM" to whatever the RAM chips support?

remz 26 May 2022 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_H (Post 1546803)
It has been done, but not often. I have a vague recollection of reading about Dragon's Lair being one of the few games that did this, but I'm not certain.

Interesting! I read that Dragon's Lair still required kickstart, but it would "kick it off" the Write-Once memory and installed part of its code in there.
That would seem like a clever hackish way to have lower RAM requirements on the 1000 compared to other Amigas.

TjLaZer 26 May 2022 02:26

Dragon's Lair is the only game that I know of that utilized the 256k WCS. Yes after a reset you had to reload Kickstart.

desiv 27 May 2022 23:32

Yep, as I remember Dragon's Lair required 1M RAM unless you had an Amiga 1000, then 512k would work because it used the WOM..
That was nice.. ;-)

NorthWay 28 May 2022 01:17

IIRC Toni showed a trick (that he had found?) that opened up the WOM for writing again. I wish I had it saved to file...

remz 28 May 2022 04:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by desiv (Post 1547378)
Yep, as I remember Dragon's Lair required 1M RAM unless you had an Amiga 1000, then 512k would work because it used the WOM..
That was nice.. ;-)

OMG you are absolutely right!
https://i.ibb.co/85wzdxf/Amiga-Dragons-Lair-Box.jpg
I don't remember that detail back in the days. How peculiar!

mark_k 28 May 2022 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthWay (Post 1547391)
IIRC Toni showed a trick (that he had found?) that opened up the WOM for writing again.

A-Max has a special bootblock that write-enables the Kickstart RAM so it can be used for Mac emulation.

Also see DumpA1000BootROM on Aminet.

Crispy 02 June 2022 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthWay (Post 1547391)
IIRC Toni showed a trick (that he had found?) that opened up the WOM for writing again. I wish I had it saved to file...

Opening up the WOM for writing is just a matter of resetting the machine with a call to the Kickstart code rather than to the boot ROM code. After reset, the WOM will be write enabled. If needed, it can then be write protected by writing to any address in the range from $f80000 to $fbffff.

Code:

DoReset    lea    ResetCode(pc),a5
            movea.l _AbsExecBase,a6
            jsr    _LVOSupervisor(a6)
            CNOP    0,4

ResetCode  lea.l  $fc0002,a0
            nop
            reset
            jmp    (a0)