English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What does the Amiga community need? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106910)

wiser3 09 May 2021 20:45

What does the Amiga community need?

I have some extra time and am looking for a way to contribute to the Amiga community.

I don't want to list my special talents, or lack thereof, just let me know what you think the community needs. If i choose not to do it maybe someone else will.

danielktdoranie 09 May 2021 20:58

A GPU. Something that can drop into the Denise chip socket and give us 16.7 million colors at high resolutions and output to HDMI.

The PiStorm is a game changer. You should check out that project on Github.

hUMUNGUs 09 May 2021 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiser3 (Post 1482552)
I have some extra time and am looking for a way to contribute to the Amiga community.

I don't want to list my special talents, or lack thereof, just let me know what you think the community needs. If i choose not to do it maybe someone else will.

Do you code or do hardware projects ?

Predseda 09 May 2021 21:13

I would appreciate an adaptor , that I could connect to my A1200 PCMCIA port and that would be able to host multiple PCMCIA cards. Even with a mechanical switch.

Scodera1 09 May 2021 21:49

a driver for usb cd / dvd drives

wiz12 09 May 2021 22:00

A new sound card as there's none to be bought anymore.

d4rk3lf 09 May 2021 22:04

I'd like to "order" a quality brawler for Amiga, as it's the type of games that are almost non existent.
I am very happy for the upcoming Metro Siege, but we need more, More, MORE!!! :D

Nice port of Final Fight would be a great start.

Oh yeah.. and some fast paced basketball game in style of NBA Jam. :D

dreadnought 09 May 2021 22:29

Wave the magic wand and make all the silly copyrights disappear.

fitzsteve 09 May 2021 23:19

A time machine so we can go back and enjoy them all over again :)

E-Penguin 09 May 2021 23:48

More cats. They're generally the solution.

d4rk3lf 09 May 2021 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzsteve (Post 1482595)
A time machine so we can go back and enjoy them all over again :)

Sure, and visiting Mehdi Ali and "convincing him" that he should run some other company. :spin

redblade 10 May 2021 00:35

DSP 56K + 68882fpu + FAST RAM for A1200 :)
I'm currently slowly trying to rip some of the tutorials from the Amiga Magazines into one .pdf file.
  • Electronics tutorial CU Amiga
  • AmigaE tutorial
  • Deluxe Paint Tutorial
  • Photogenics tutorial
  • Arexx tutorial
Maybe redo the last 1993 Commodore developer into .odf format, unless Thomas Richter has one in .ps format??
  • Graphics library V39
  • The Amiga 1200 section
  • OS Friendly games

PurpleMelbourne 10 May 2021 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiz12 (Post 1482572)
A new sound card as there's none to be bought anymore.

What chip would be good?
The Concierto for the Picasso IV used the ESS1688F which is available.

malko 10 May 2021 10:28

'Amithlon' working on today's computers :p

grond 10 May 2021 12:03

AROS with good usability on 020-class machines.

Cammy 10 May 2021 13:58

Something that happens a lot these days is people pulling out their old Amigas or buying them online and having hardly any software to try out on them. And we've had so many great games made for the Amiga in recent years, it would be good if there was a convenient way for these newcomers and returning users to try out these games.

What I think would really benefit the Amiga community today is a new kind of PD library. It would be a website with a nice database of Amiga PD games and programs with screenshots and videos, and freely downloadable ADFs. But as well as that, it should offer the option to purchase the software on real floppy disks, which would be sourced through a network of volunteers. Options would include using preloved disks or new old stock high density disks and priced accordingly. The library itself should be focused on newer Amiga software as well as the best of the best from the past.

rothers 10 May 2021 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1482573)
Nice port of Final Fight would be a great start.

Surely the Metro Siege engine could do a near perfect Final Fight port?

NorthWay 10 May 2021 14:12

Native SATA controller. (DMA / Zorro2/3 for added bonuses.)
Worst case as a design that can be smacked on to existing cpu upgrades.

d4rk3lf 10 May 2021 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by rothers (Post 1482691)
Surely the Metro Siege engine could do a near perfect Final Fight port?

Well, that's hard question for me (we better ask developers).

But here's my thoughts:
- Final Fight have some really large sprites, and that would be the biggest issue. With smaller sprites - sure.
Probably, Metro Siege engine would be more suited for game like Captain Commando, that is much more modern brawler then Final Fight, have more moves and stuff, but have much smaller sprites.

Dunno...

saimon69 10 May 2021 18:20

Am NOT the whole community but i know what i would need:
some kind of RAM remapper not to have PCMCIA conflicting with my accelerator card when i have more than four meg fast (i actually have 32) - that did force me to buy a power mac to work rather than keep only my 1200 due to surf squirrel hanging!
[is an m-tec viper EC030]