English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Amiga Game Factory (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Want to make a game- can do sprite art. (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=105597)

Adrian Browne 30 January 2021 16:51

Want to make a game- can do sprite art.

Hi, is anybody interested in making a simple Amiga game? I have spent 5 months practicing sprite art and animation using dawnbringer 32's 32 colour palette.

I have produced enough animated enemies and a player character for a possible cartoon platform game- I am open to working on anything at the moment though- I am still learning but i enjoy the challenges in learning new animation tricks.

So, to an extent I am learning as I go; watching tutorials and playing with pro-motion ng. I am also available full time as I am not in employment currently.

I also have an amiga 1200 which will have an accelerator next week-I can transfer files to the amiga etc- I have an rgb compatible crt tv and an rgb scart incoming.

A link to the art I produced thus far-I also have a few other random bits on my computer- https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bjvx968sa...AhoEGdbra?dl=0

Edit: I should mention that I can also write, comics, dialogue etc.

coldacid 30 January 2021 21:47

I've been considering making a platformer for Amiga and Windows for a while now, but I'm nowhere near the point where I'm ready to start considering code or assets. Hopefully there's someone here who is ready for what you can contribute!

Adrian Browne 30 January 2021 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldacid (Post 1457757)
I've been considering making a platformer for Amiga and Windows for a while now, but I'm nowhere near the point where I'm ready to start considering code or assets. Hopefully there's someone here who is ready for what you can contribute!

Hi, no worries- keep working on it- I am still learning myself.

Adrian Browne 31 January 2021 15:58

Found some useful graphics rips on codetappers site. Fun website.

Cammy 01 February 2021 07:34

Hi Adrian! I love your cute graphics, great job! Have you considered using some easy to use GUI-based game-making software such as Backbone to make a game with your graphics? I use it to make platform games, and it has become quite popular to use for beginners in recent years. The great thing about it is how fast you can produce results from it if you already have some graphics to work with.

Your sprites look great and will be easy to load into Backbone. However it uses tiled graphics for its maps, so you would have to make a tile map of 16x16 or 32x32 blocks out of your background images to build the maps with.

Here are some examples of games made with Backbone: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UPX8Ji-HEM3En1

DamienD 01 February 2021 11:00

Nooooo, anything but Backbone Cammy.

It's the worst game engine possible; things run slow as a dog and you need a high end Amiga to have game sort of playable...

Pyromania 01 February 2021 11:48

@Cammy

Those example games look very cool to me for someone that’s just starting out. May I ask what the specs of the Amiga they were being played on were?

DanScott 01 February 2021 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1458141)
Nooooo, anything but Backbone Cammy.

It's the worst game engine possible; things run slow as a dog and you need a high end Amiga to have game sort of playable...

But might be ideal for a novice perhaps with no knowledge of coding ?
At least to learn the fundamentals of putting a small game together

d4rk3lf 01 February 2021 12:10

I've used Red Pill a little, and is really awesome.
It just hit the spot of UI, and easy to use, for me.

Wanna try Scorpion too.

DamienD 01 February 2021 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanScott (Post 1458152)
But might be ideal for a novice perhaps with no knowledge of coding ?
At least to learn the fundamentals of putting a small game together

I think Scorpion is really the way to go now ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1458158)

Wanna try Scorpion too.

Although RedPill is much better than Backbone; it also suffers from slowdowns, and the need to use a high-end Amiga for games to run okish...

Adrian Browne 01 February 2021 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1458158)

Wanna try Scorpion too.

How powerful is red pill? I am going to download it-I saw videos on youtube of it running.

Adrian Browne 01 February 2021 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cammy (Post 1458111)
Hi Adrian! I love your cute graphics, great job! Have you considered using some easy to use GUI-based game-making software such as Backbone to make a game with your graphics? I use it to make platform games, and it has become quite popular to use for beginners in recent years. The great thing about it is how fast you can produce results from it if you already have some graphics to work with.

Your sprites look great and will be easy to load into Backbone. However it uses tiled graphics for its maps, so you would have to make a tile map of 16x16 or 32x32 blocks out of your background images to build the maps with.

Here are some examples of games made with Backbone: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UPX8Ji-HEM3En1

Thanks- I might look at Red Pill though. hopefully i can get something working.

Adrian Browne 01 February 2021 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1458161)
I think Scorpion is really the way to go now ;)

Although RedPill is much better than Backbone; it also suffers from slowdowns, and the need to use a high-end Amiga for games to run okish...

Ideally a programmer to do the painful stuff -I like doing art, writing maybe even music but how does scorpion work? I heard its more complex than red pill?

DamienD 01 February 2021 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Browne (Post 1458175)
Ideally a programmer to do the painful stuff -I like doing art, writing maybe even music but how does scorpion work? I heard its more complex than red pill?

Personally I've never used any of the game engines.

...but I don't believe that Scorpion is any more difficult to use than RedPill; yet will give better performance ;)

d4rk3lf 01 February 2021 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1458161)

Indeed, as all game makers apps.
But Zener also made some improvements, and recently even supported OCS.
I haven't tried myself yet, but my guess is that some simpler games can be made to run on real Amiga's smoothly.

For me, it's great that I can easily and fast create something (without worrying of speed), and show it to the programmer, as a "proof of concept"... and it's fun also :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Browne (Post 1458172)
How powerful is red pill? I am going to download it-I saw videos on youtube of it running.

I think it's pretty powerful for the platformers, and these sort of games... I don't believe you can (easily) create some strategy, for example.
It has a lot's of sample game projects, that you can learn from, and that is real valuable.
Unfortunately, not many tutorials on youtube, and help is, I think, still under construction (but I might be wrong)

But as I said to Damian, it's great for artist, so you can, for example, easy create your sprite, make commands (in few minutes), and see how it walks on the scene, and how it looks overall.

Here's my very old test, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4QUjADEhuY&t=101s

DamienD 01 February 2021 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1458191)
I haven't tried myself yet, but my guess is that some simpler games can be made to run on real Amiga's smoothly.

For me, it's great that I can easily and fast create something (without worrying of speed), and show it to the programmer, as a "proof of concept"... and it's fun also :)

Yes, it's great that Zener is constantly updating RedPill ;)

...but as mentioned, I don't think Scorpion is any more difficult to use from what I've read / seen the videos on.

And of course earok is also constantly improving / updating.

nobody 01 February 2021 14:28

If you understand variables, statements like if-then, gosub, etc (what they do) ability to read simple code a bit, then scorpion is the way to go.

d4rk3lf 01 February 2021 14:33

@Damien

Haven't tried Scorpion, but indeed, the samples looks great. :)
From little UI I saw, I'd say it's harder from RedPill, but I could easily be wrong.
Can't tell until I try it.

And then there is also a personal preference from person to person, as what UI and logic suited him.

Adrian Browne 01 February 2021 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody (Post 1458201)
If you understand variables, statements like if-then, gosub, etc (what they do) ability to read simple code a bit, then scorpion is the way to go.

I have no clue about programming and im sure i would hate it.
Will try red pill though..

Adrian Browne 01 February 2021 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1458191)

I think it's pretty powerful for the platformers, and these sort of games... I don't believe you can (easily) create some strategy, for example.
It has a lot's of sample game projects, that you can learn from, and that is real valuable.
Unfortunately, not many tutorials on youtube, and help is, I think, still under construction (but I might be wrong)

But as I said to Damian, it's great for artist, so you can, for example, easy create your sprite, make commands (in few minutes), and see how it walks on the scene, and how it looks overall.

Here's my very old test, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4QUjADEhuY&t=101s

Nice. Are you working on something these days.
Hopefully i can get a litrle prototype done in red pill then unless a programmer magically falls from the sky.. ;):)