English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   15 years ago.... (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=45497)

Paul_s 16 June 2009 21:48

15 years ago....

It was just over a month ago that marked 15 years since our Commodore died a death...

Somethings never change, i.e. reliability :D .... the AGA stuff is almost 20 years old :nuts:shocked:crying

alexh 16 June 2009 22:20

So about six months or so before Commodore UK folds then?

AGA is 18 this year. Every year from now on it is going to pretend it is younger. Oops, my mistake, that is women.

Grimbog 16 June 2009 23:09

Almost brings a tear to the eye.

Saw this video on youtube a few years back, so thought it might be good to post it up again. It's basically The Commodore Plant in West Chester, PA The last day of this Amiga Factory. April 27, 1994.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRI7hHwiRxk

End of an era.

Rabbit80 17 June 2009 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimbog (Post 560851)
Almost brings a tear to the eye.

Saw this video on youtube a few years back, so thought it might be good to post it up again. It's basically The Commodore Plant in West Chester, PA The last day of this Amiga Factory. April 27, 1994.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRI7hHwiRxk

End of an era.

Thats a sad video :crying

JACK98 17 June 2009 00:27

i know where the video can be got for free.But i would guess have let the mods clear it first before i could post/give link...

TCD 17 June 2009 08:12

Seems like you can't buy it anywhere, so... ;)
Only if there are other 'nasty' things (WB, KS etc.) on the site too, it would be an idea to upload it to the *cough* EAB file server :D

Hobbe 17 June 2009 09:15

It's helplessly sad. There was some sort of "mystic" surrounding the Amiga that has yet to be brought back into a modern computer. AGA is almost 20 years old but OCS, though considerably older, still kicks as much ass with it's limitations and all :)

alexh 17 June 2009 09:47

Mystique

JACK98 17 June 2009 11:41

Alright.well here it is,the full movie.you can download it as mp4 format.so you can convert and burn it to dvd :)

*link removed by J

cane 17 June 2009 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 560956)
Seems like you can't buy it anywhere, so... ;)

It's included in Amiga Forever Premium Edition DVD 2 from Cloanto: The Deathbed Vigil (1994, 118') - link.
I'll let the moderators decide if it's against the rules to post links to it ;).

kriz 17 June 2009 12:36

wow... 15 years now... I remember the day so well... was a sad day :(

But how cool is it that we still are into it ? Very very cool and inspiring, the spirit is never dead !!

TCD 17 June 2009 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cane (Post 561059)
It's included in Amiga Forever Premium Edition DVD 2 from Cloanto: The Deathbed Vigil (1994, 118') - link.
I'll let the moderators decide if it's against the rules to post links to it ;).

Ah, didn't know that. Should have googled it first...

cane 17 June 2009 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 561077)
Ah, didn't know that. Should have googled it first...

I know that it's on DVD because I have it, otherwise I also would not know that.

blade002 17 June 2009 15:58

I first heard the news in CU Amiga before i grabbed hold of some euro disk magazines that were all talking about it :( As strange as it may seem, the Amiga to me was pretty much one of THE biggest things in my life at the time because i was so damn passionate about the machine.

Certainly one of the WORST days EVER but given how great the Amiga was i was confident it would never die in the hands of another company that was owned by those for whom were just as passionate so that all those genius Amiga hardware engineers and software developers could be re-employed and move on with the Amiga dream!

How idealistic and gullible was i hey!? :sad

15 years already hey, so that means i was 20 when Commodore folded ... time has moved quick but the memories will never fade.

DDNI 17 June 2009 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by blade002 (Post 561278)
15 years already hey, so that means i was 20 when Commodore folded ... time has moved quick but the memories will never fade.

35! you're 3 months my senior...

Ironclaw 17 June 2009 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_s (Post 560822)
...died a death...

:nuts

blade002 18 June 2009 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDNI (Post 561290)
35! you're 3 months my senior...

Which means i must have started pulling myself 3 months before you did :lol:lol:lol

Got any Grey hairs yet? None on my head, only on my chin ;)

Paul_s 21 June 2009 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironclaw (Post 561296)
:nuts

I agree! Hey, hang on, I wrote that :lol:crying

JACK98 21 June 2009 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by blade002 (Post 561278)

Certainly one of the WORST days EVER but given how great the Amiga was i was confident it would never die in the hands of another company that was owned by those for whom were just as passionate so that all those genius Amiga hardware engineers and software developers could be re-employed and move on with the Amiga dream!

How idealistic and gullible was i hey!? :sad.

i think escom where just broke by paying off commodores debts.The technology aged quickly too when windows 95 came on the scene.I think phase 5 with their blizzard cards played an important part of keeping the machine alive during them bleak years...

Reg_B 13 August 2009 13:21

Particularly bad for ME !
Just about a month after the C=> announcement I was laid off by dec (digital equipment corporation - for those too young to remember).

That was their BIG collapse; 23% of the workforce certainly cut their "core competencies"
(as they said in the day) basically leaving only administrative people to push content free memos around.
The company was already being sold off in parts to Oracle, Intel, Quantum, etc and the June 94 milestone was the beginning of a 5 year plan to sell off the rest and recover what was possible for the stakeholders - of course in true dec tradition the 5 year plan took 6 years, Compaq getting the final bite that was too much for it to digest (-:

Yeah, it has been a fun/funny year for memories and anniversaries.