English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.ClassicWB (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Wont Put Away/Leave Out an icon from Workbench (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88003)

R-Typer 21 July 2017 18:19

Wont Put Away an icon from Workbench

Hello,

I have just installed ClassicWB_FULL_v28 both on my emulated WinUAE and my real Amiga (A1200 with ACA 1221ec with HDD)

Problem I have is that once I place an icon from e.g Cannon Fodder 2 game folder to workbench by using Leave Out option then Im unable to return this icon back by Put Away. It just sits there on my workbench. I tried Amiga+P and Amiga+L keyboard shortcuts as well.

This is same on both my WinUAE install and my real amiga install.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Genlock 21 July 2017 20:37

Hi R-Typer
Ive only come across something similar with "Leave Out" option when i installed 3.9 with BB1-4,
after removing BB 3&4 it worked ok.
I hope you get it sorted ..

-Acid- 21 July 2017 20:44

This happens to me every now and then too. Get rid of it by editing the file .backdrop which will be in the root of one of your disks, just remove the line which has the icon you want to put away and save it, update the screen or reboot and it will be gone.

esc 21 July 2017 21:10

Weird. Try SnoopDos while you "Put Away" the icon and see what it's doing.

R-Typer 21 July 2017 21:17

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you guys for the help!

I run SnoopDos and attempt to Put Away the Chaos Engine 2 icon and this is what SnoopDos logged.

R-Typer 21 July 2017 21:30

As suggested, I managed to delete icons on my Workbench by editing .backdrop file. So success in a way. But Id love to figure this out and have Put Away working as is should have.

Bloodwych 22 July 2017 09:48

It only happens with the large WHDLoad NewIcons - other NewIcons work fine.

So I imagine it's a bug in Scalos where Newicons of a certain size can't be put away.

No fix I'm aware of at the moment. :(

You could add an option to open the Backdrop text file to the popup menus, then it can be quickly edited to remove the icon in question.

Minuous 22 July 2017 17:36

BB3&4 is a lot different to ClassicWB, however they both use PeterK's icon.library. So possibly it is a bug in that library which should be reported to him so he can investigate and fix it.

Personally I can't reproduce the bug, it worked fine for me when I tested it but I don't use that functionality often.

PeterK 29 July 2017 09:36

Where can I get large WHDLoad NewIcons? Can you upload some of them?

But usually it should be the job of the Workbench or Scalos to leave out or put away any icons. Icon.library has no function that would handle that. Nothing! And I don't have ClassicWB installed anymore for many years now.

AMIGASYSTEM 29 July 2017 10:25

Tested WHDLoad icon Cannon Fodder 2, the problem is only on Scalos 39.222 Release 1.2b installed on ClassicWB, with Scalos 41.8 Release 1.9 Leave out and Put Away It works fine

R-Typer 29 July 2017 18:04

Scalos 1.9 requires AmigaOS 3.5/3.9
ClassicWB FULL is 3.1 so it cannot be fixed with latest Scalos version.

supaduper 19 August 2019 17:19

Simple hack to Leave out and Put back Icons on the backdrop, just boot with Workbench 3.1 disk then use the Leave and put back from the Icon/ drop down menu...simples !!

Flimbo 25 March 2021 10:54

Apologies for replying to an old thread. Just to note that ironically I had the exact same issue as mentioned here and ironically it was also with Chaos Engine 2 :) . I am an absolute novice with the Amiga despite having one as a child and have been trying to learn some pretty basic stuff mainly through trial and error. This icon would not 'put away' and it did not feature in the .backdrop when I edited it via Dopus (not used Dopus before so this was cool at least). In the end I opened up the game folder and dragged the icon back to the folder and this did the job and the game continues to work fine. I bought this CF card with a preinstalled Scalos WB and WHDLOAD and I have doubts about it being a good installation or if I have a hardware issue with my keyboard. I need to try my hand at creating a new installation via UAE at some point.

Flimbo 27 March 2021 02:21

Update: following a reboot the icons were back on the desktop.