English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   It's ... not guess the sound sample, but guess the original tune! (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=26898)

andreas 05 December 2006 18:37

It's ... not guess the sound sample, but guess the original tune!

Well, probably some of you guys are eagerly following the thread of "Guess the Sound Sample" in "Looking for a game name?"
However, my thread would be wrong there, as you WILL get the game name from me! :D
Moreover, this is NOT only related to Amiga alone, as the tune in question was used in many other conversions of the following game.

Let's take a look at this ...
http://exotica.org.uk/tunes/archive/...ow_Islands.lha

OK, RI, by Steve Turner. Nothing special, eh?
But was this really composed by Turner or some other guy alone in the 1980s? I had always thought this ... until some hobo dude with this guitar strummed along a variation of this tune last week near the supermarket. I listened again and went like ... Erm? A hobo who adapted a C64 or Amiga tune to craft his own version? Now THAT is cool! :D

But ... it was different. It was Turner who "adapted" a well-known tune to be used as Rainbow Islands game music.

Can you guess the original title? (I think it's trivial, but you never know...:evilgrin)
I'm also planning to enter this into HOL notes yet today.

Dizzy 05 December 2006 18:43

I mp3 link would be nice. To lazy to convert it to my pc ;)

The only tune I remember from RI is that "Wizard of Oz" tune :D

andreas 05 December 2006 18:47

Sorry, no mp3. I suggest to use DeliPlayer, with which you can play the original file without conversion fuss!
So instead of complaining, you had better install this! :p

Dizzy 05 December 2006 19:00

hehehehe ok, but i'm at work ,so dont think my boss will like this ;) :lol

ant512 05 December 2006 21:57

Using the Mac, so I can't play the mod, but - um - unless this is a different version of the tune to the one that came with the budget release I have, it's "Over the Rainbow". It's the main theme from "The Wizard of Oz", and it's been covered hundreds of times.

Perhaps The Wizard of Oz wasn't that popular in Germany?

In other news, the title tune from the arcade version of Mikie was "A Hard Day's Night", Led Storm on the C64 had "Smoke on the Water" as it's title track, and the Spyhunter music was "Peter Gunn".

andreas 05 December 2006 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ant512
Using the Mac, so I can't play the mod, but - um - unless this is a different version of the tune to the one that came with the budget release I have, it's "Over the Rainbow". It's the main theme from "The Wizard of Oz", and it's been covered hundreds of times.

Perhaps The Wizard of Oz wasn't that popular in Germany?

STRIKE! :)

Reading the rave reviews of that 1939 technicolor (!!) picture, I've figured every child in UK or US (and probably in Australasia too) must know about this one and at least watched it once!

Yes it's true: it was hardly ever broadcasted on German TV (which is scandalous!) Maybe because the synchro was so awful? :D

Whatever ... yes you both are right. It *IS* "Over The Rainbow."
Hell yeah, if I had known it was made popular by getting performed in an all-time-classic picture THAT known to the English-speaking part of the world I would not have asked such a dumb question! :D

Dizzy 06 December 2006 00:07

Even in denamrk ;) :lol

Do yourself a favour and watch it. This is such a good movie with some wonderfull music in.

You should grab this torrent this is the version where the put in Pink Floyds album Dark side of the moon

Quote:

The Wizard of OZ with Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"

Video: NTSC 4:3
Audio: English (The Wizard of OZ with Dark Side of the Moon)
English (The Wizard of OZ)
English (Dark Side of the Moon)
:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

Magno Boots 06 December 2006 01:45

Wizard of Oz... It's a rubbish film, as us Brits get to see it without fail every Christmas on TV!! :guru

Talking of ripped off originals, I'm positive that the Chris Huelsbeck 'underwater' music from Turrican2 is infact an original classical piece.
I've heard it on Classic FM, but never managed to get the composer's name.

andreas 09 December 2006 20:50

??!
Sorry Dizzy, but that is CRAP.
If so I want the original film score, not getting that dubbed by some album released roughly 40 years later!

P-J 09 December 2006 20:54

Am I missing the point of this thread? This is probably the easiest question ever, and it's blatantly obvious from the very first day I heard the Rainbow Islands tune in the 90's that it was 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'.

Is this a trick question, or is it really such an obvious question?

Have you never heard this song before? It's been covered billions of time.

andreas 10 December 2006 01:34

Well, you have to read the whole thread from top to bottom. That "Oz" film is NOT as popular abroad than it is in English-speaking part of the world instead.
Because I didn't know about the film's popularity, I had no idea the answer was *so* easy.

For someone from Germany, it would probably be lots more difficult to guess the original tune, although DJ Marusha tortured us with her tech-NO "rendition" of the song in the 1990s. A good chance would be that the person is a jazz lover and knows the song interpreted by jazz artists.
Moreover, the "adaption" on the Amiga is a bit freestyle too IMO, not really a one-by-one reproduction of the original tune.

P-J 10 December 2006 02:19

I know, but I've never watched The Wizard Of Oz either but I know the music very well from many sources :) That's all I was saying :)

StarEye 10 December 2006 11:15

I think this song is probably as well-known as Yesterday or Here Comes The Sun from The Beatles. Not knowing the song is living in a cave. But then I guess if it's not as popular in non-english speaking countries, I can see this being a valid question.

andreas 13 December 2006 03:39

Your latter guess is fairly close to reality :)