English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   pc task 4.4:) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=78202)

8bitbob 16 May 2015 10:19

pc task 4.4:)

I know this is complete madness :crazy , But I've installed pc task 4.4 on winuae just to mess with :), I've got a sd card , I'm using as an Amiga drive,partitioned it in Amiga os 3.5, ran PC Task, and formatted one partition as PC partition.

So in theory be able to copy files over to it from Win7, but I think I've missed something. I thought if its formatted as a PC partition in PC task then win7 should see it as a accessible partition or is there more to it .

Or if someone knows how to access PC Task Partitions from Amiga dos, only I can't get crossmount to work, it says its mounted them but they don't show up!.

cheers
:banghead

Michael 16 May 2015 11:30

Should be easier to make an msdos disk under windows and then mount it on the amiga side. The other way round is more difficult since windows might require something to get it mounted.

Daedalus 18 May 2015 10:41

Back in the day, on a real Amiga, I used to mount the MS-DOS partition on the Amiga side using a mount file in Devs/DOSDrivers. I based it on a CrossDOS file, took the values required from HDToolbox's entries and used Fat95 as the filesystem and 1230scsi.device as the device. Worked perfectly for accessing files from both sides. Be very careful doing this though as the wrong values has the potential to corrupt other partitions!

If you need it I can probably fire up the old machine and see if I still have the mount file.

Edit: As for why Windows 7 can't see the partition, the Amiga hard drive is set up using the Amiga's RDB partitioning scheme which Windows can't understand. It could probably read the partition itself fine, but it doesn't know where to look.

8bitbob 18 May 2015 17:49

re

Thanks for both your answers:great, I gave up and finally got the cd rom to work , so made a dvd iso image of all the files, then setup the config.sys and autoexec.com for dvd, hey presto easy access to the dos games I fancied trying out on it :crazy:nuts

Michael Sykes 18 May 2015 18:15

I'm also using a mount file in Devs/DOSDrivers. But a hardfile instead of a real disk.
I have some mountfiles created using crossmount and they work fine.
The mountfile should look like this:
Code:

/* Mountfile Entry Created: 02-May-;14 15:15:53
 * for a File as a CrossDOS Disk.
 * Disk Size: 80.0 Meg
 * Vendor and drive name:
 */
/* Disk size parameters.*/
  Surfaces = 1
  BlocksPerTrack = 1
  Lowcyl = 0
  Highcyl = 163840
  BufMemType = 0
  Blocksize = 512
/* Device driver parameters.*/
  Device = filedisk.device
  Unit = "System:Emulators/IBM-PC/PC-Task4/hardfile0"
  Flags = 0x00000000
/* File system parameters.*/
  Mask = 0xFFFFFFFE
  Maxtransfer = 0xFFFFFFFF
  Reserved = 2
  Filesystem = L:CrossDOSFileSystem
  Stacksize = 2000
  Priority = 5
  Bootpri = -20
  Globvec = -1
  Buffers = 5
  Dostype = 0x4d534800
  Mount = 1
#

I named it PCC and saved it in sys:devs/dosdrivers.

Now I created a blank file named hardfile0 in sys:Emulators/IBM-PC/PC-Task4.

I did setup hardfile0 as harddisk C: in PCTask and used a floppy image of DOS version 6.2 or so to format the (virtual)disk. (I think I needed crossdos on the Amig side but it was looong ago)

After reboot the Filedisk ws also visible from the Workbench.

I think it works similar with a real disk. But I see no reason why to use one.
The filedisk is still faster than any real Amiga harddisk ever was thanks to UAE.:D

EDIT: Found the image on my drive.Just hacked the name into google and the DL site came up. http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/dos.html I like the web.
It was very helpful.

trixster 25 October 2016 22:01

Has anyone had any luck creating a large hardfile in pctask4.4? I've used it to create a 100mb one. I've then mounted hardfile0 and hardfile1 using pctcrossmount. Hardfile0 becomes accessible in workbench as tcc: but I can't access tdc: at all. I can't format it (I get an error 254 from the format command) and I can't format the drive in msdos from Pctask.

Any ideas what the problem might be? Failing that, could someone kindly email me a blank large working hardfile?

AlfaRomeo 28 July 2023 16:13

Does anyone know how to hook a virtual cd-rom to pctask 4.4?
I tried with isomount and a cd of win95 but it doesn´t was recognized.
Isomount creates a virtual drive with win95.iso inside named SCD0: and PC-Task associate it to D: and all goes well. But the win95 boot floppy has 4 cd drivers and none of it recognize the drive. Any tips about?

pixie 28 July 2023 16:44

The archive is aminet is lacking some files it seems, I would like to mount hardfile0 since using diskimages is unbearable slow, any hint?

AlfaRomeo 28 July 2023 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixie (Post 1632172)
The archive is aminet is lacking some files it seems, I would like to mount hardfile0 since using diskimages is unbearable slow, any hint?

What I´m doing is: copy all win95 floppy images to a c:\ directory and then install win95 from there

Jope 28 July 2023 17:24

Check the zone for the missing piece..

AlfaRomeo 28 July 2023 17:36

Thanks Jope :)

AlfaRomeo 29 July 2023 16:58

Hello, I'm trying to install win95 to my PC-Task c:\ partition but it quits with a screen error: Fatal error opening or using the screen
I already tried a varied number of different resolutions and colors in VGA and SVGA of both Dynamic and Interpretative modes but it still giving the same error.
Does anyone know how to fix it?
Or there are on the net any hardfiles with win95 already installed?

Thanks in advance

AlfaRomeo 07 August 2023 20:17

Any idea on how to map a virtual cd from amiga in PC-Task?

Seiya 07 August 2023 21:21

you have install mscdex.exe, a cdrom.sys that mount your cdrom amiga side (real or emulated)

AlfaRomeo 07 August 2023 22:13

I already have mscdex.exe and 4 cdrom drivers, including the OAKCDROM.SYS (a geral ide cdrom driver), and tested with a virtual iso cd mounted through isomount and also through iso image mounted through Amiberry menu cd option but it keeps with the error mscd001 driver not find.
I think the problem is that a virtual cd is not IDE nor SCSI

Seiya 08 August 2023 11:57

i not remember how to set PC-Task, but i'm sure that in the past, with my real A1200 with 68040 i have installed "Star Trek Final Unity" via CD-ROM.
I think that PC-TAsk 4.4 should be have PCTCDrom.sys that working and it is included in PC-Task

try to use this device with mscdex

autoexec.bat:

Code:

mscdex/D:MSCD001
config.sys:
Code:

device=PCTCDROM.sys/D:(your amiga device),(unit)
https://i.ibb.co/ZHzrMvW/mscdex-1.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/6PQKmDT/mscdex-2.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/P9BrZK2/mscdex-3.jpg

Jope 08 August 2023 12:34

Mm yes, definitely use pctcdrom.sys, not any of the ATAPI drivers.

zipper 08 August 2023 14:12

Worked for me, installed Win95 (with 060) several times as every crash did make it non bootable. Was no use but kind of entertainment. Slow as hell, you could see it write the icons, borders etc. Boot time was 2.5 - 4 minutes

AlfaRomeo 08 August 2023 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seiya (Post 1634890)
I think that PC-TAsk 4.4 should be have PCTCDrom.sys that working and it is included in PC-Task

Thanks for the advice Seiya, :) I will try PCTCDrom.sys

AlfaRomeo 08 August 2023 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipper (Post 1634929)
Worked for me, installed Win95 (with 060) several times as every crash did make it non bootable. Was no use but kind of entertainment. Slow as hell, you could see it write the icons, borders etc. Boot time was 2.5 - 4 minutes

I already installed Win 3 on a 040 but it was unuseful so now I want to try win95 on a real A1200 with piStorm and on a RaspberryPi4 with Amiberry too.

Tried install win95 through floppys but it gives me a screen error so want to try other versions of win95 in cd and see if can install it.