English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAME now fully open source - time for Voodoo 3 emulation in WinUAE? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81875)

jbenam 07 March 2016 13:10

MAME now fully open source - time for Voodoo 3 emulation in WinUAE?

Hey Toni,

It looks like MAME finally went open source with a decent license:
http://mamedev.org/?p=422

Maybe it's time for that Voodoo 3 emulation in WinUAE? :crazy

jbenam 07 March 2016 13:11

Duh, just saw http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=125

I suppose this can be closed :blased

Toni Wilen 07 March 2016 13:52

Separate thread is better because it is practically guaranteed there will be no Voodoo emulation in 3.3.0 and beta threads are closed when official version is out.

But yes, I already knew, even before beta thread posts.

It is much easier said than done, so many dependencies...

jbenam 07 March 2016 14:56

Ah right. Great, at least there's a possibility now!

It might be a fun project to tackle when you want some new challenges ;)

Thanks for your work, Toni!

Sandro 07 March 2016 15:27

I wonder where is the relationship between MAME and the voodoo 3 on the amiga

Aegis 07 March 2016 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandro (Post 1075895)
I wonder where is the relationship between MAME and the voodoo 3 on the amiga

Some of the emulated games in MAME use an emulated Voodoo 3 - Toni can (hopefully) re-purpose that code to enable Voodoo 3 emulation in WinUAE.

rare_j 07 March 2016 21:24

Does any 68k software use voodoo3 (specifically) or is it ppc only?

Aegis 07 March 2016 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by rare_j (Post 1076006)
Does any 68k software use voodoo3 (specifically) or is it ppc only?

Anything that uses Warp3D - you'll also be able to use it as an RTG device as an alternative to uaegfx. I believe Toni was interested in Voodoo 3 because it was a nice compromise of functionality for both AmigaOS 3.9 and 4.1 with sufficient video RAM to use it with HD displays.

Toni Wilen 07 March 2016 22:40

Exactly. So far MAME Voodoo 3 emulation is the only license compatible display card that:

- "All AmigaOS" supported. Including linux, netbsd etc..
- Full HD resolution support (=enough VRAM)

- 3d is only a bonus and is not in my requirements list (but I don't think there are any >=8M VRAM capable display chips that don't have any kind of 3d hardware..). It is also software emulated in MAME code. So don't expect anything fast.

(CyberVision/BlizzardVision would have been sort of better choice because there are demos that only work with those boards. But Permedia 2 is not emulated and it is far too complex to code from scratch just for "fun"..

vulture 08 March 2016 12:50

@Toni

Would a Permedia 2 wrapper of sorts be possible instead of a full on emulation? Or am I just talking nonsense (most likely)? :)

CiroConsentino 09 March 2016 02:52

Slowly, MAME devs are starting to add real 3D acceleration via hardware, but it will take a loong time before we have something to play games with.

There is a way to use a 3Dfx Glide wrapper to use the video card to render graphics of 3D games (Glide to Direct3D wrapper). I don't know how accurate would a wrapper be though or how hard it would be to implement this. I don't know how to do it.

Meshuggah 09 March 2016 09:46

Would a uae Warp3D implementation be easier? Directly using the host 3d acceleration.
I have no idea how complex this is, just asking :)

thellier 09 March 2016 11:38

>Would a uae Warp3D implementation be easier?
Already exists in WinUAE 68k as WaZp3D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCis7ZbAjd4

Alain Thellier - Wazp3D

Toni Wilen 09 March 2016 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by CiroConsentino (Post 1076393)
Slowly, MAME devs are starting to add real 3D acceleration via hardware, but it will take a loong time before we have something to play games with.

There is a way to use a 3Dfx Glide wrapper to use the video card to render graphics of 3D games (Glide to Direct3D wrapper). I don't know how accurate would a wrapper be though or how hard it would be to implement this. I don't know how to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meshuggah (Post 1076404)
Would a uae Warp3D implementation be easier? Directly using the host 3d acceleration.
I have no idea how complex this is, just asking :)

"Somebody else's problem" again.

I only do hardware emulation. I don't do drivers, especially 3D drivers. I don't want to know what 3D drivers need to do. They just work automatically when emulation is good enough.

Meshuggah 09 March 2016 12:30

Good point.

S0ulA55a551n 09 March 2016 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 1076047)

(CyberVision/BlizzardVision would have been sort of better choice because there are demos that only work with those boards. But Permedia 2 is not emulated and it is far too complex to code from scratch just for "fun"..

AOS4.1 needs a lot more than 8MB VRam though ? Or would you be able to emulate this card with more VRAM ?

Toni Wilen 09 March 2016 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n (Post 1076430)
AOS4.1 needs a lot more than 8MB VRam though ? Or would you be able to emulate this card with more VRAM ?

I don't care.

It is OS4 supported card (and everything else) and it has enough VRAM for full HD. My checklist is complete.

Rob1 09 September 2016 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n (Post 1076430)

Only if you're using compositing and that requires Radeon hardware anyway.

esc 14 October 2016 01:48

Sorry to reopen old thread but I've been gone for a while - @Toni - were you able to make any headway emulating the Voodoo 3?

Toni Wilen 14 October 2016 08:42

I am hoping that PCem implements it someday (or some other single system emulator), MAME separates it in dozens of different source modules with dozens of dependencies. It is practically impossible task to merge.