English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Sprites (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Ripping - Banshee AGA (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=19386)

maVado 22 July 2005 00:54

Ripping - Banshee AGA

here are the tiles from level 1, almost every tile i had to rip manually as there is a ton of garbage between those :guru

by garbage i mean for example tiles of building shadows in various bitplanes with wrong palette etc., lots of guessing here ..

:removed, pm me for the tileset

Joe Maroni 22 July 2005 23:05

this "garbage" is avoidable with the corrct count of skip bytes...;)

maVado 23 July 2005 00:09

i used skip bytes to get a few tiles in a row like 2-3, but you will not get more. See the screenshot attached, if i skip 32 bytes a few tiles pop up but not everything. So the only way is to go through them one by one, check if it looks like a tile, has correct palette and then rip it. The sheet i uploaded above does not have the water in it and some tiles i skipped because i couldn't get the palette right, its about 80% of level one tiles i would guess ...

:removed

gifgit 23 July 2005 12:52

I`m with maVado on this.I just tried to grab all the map tiles but I could only rip about 3 or 4 at a time.:banghead

StrategyGamer 23 July 2005 21:21

Is the skip count an alternating number?
such as 32,32,32,48,48,32,32,32,48,48?
Is there a pattern?

maVado 24 July 2005 22:58

no, you can define the number but nothing more, like skip 1 or 6 or 16 bytes, etc

the problem is that the tiles are stored with 6 bitplanes, but some of the tiles like building shadows are stored in 5 oder 4 bitplanes and therefore the palette is not correct, so you have to guess where what tile belongs to

if i find the time i will sort them, and then see if i can find the missing tiles from screenshots

btw. the player and enemy sprites are stored in 7 bitplanes in sp mode and look totally wrong to me, i will post an example later

maVado 14 August 2005 17:04

first i thought this is not possible but now i figured out the correct order number and the number of bitplanes :)

here are all the sprites from level 2 including player and power up and some of the sprites from the 3 bosses, it still needs lots of cleaning and puzzeling, especially for the big air planes.

i cannot rip the two big main boss sprites and the hud(stored in sp mode at )

i will look into Banshee and rip more from the game once i finished Xenon 2

removed due to bad palette

maVado 14 August 2005 22:58

1 Attachment(s)
lol i just figured it out, here are all 3 bosses from level 2

maVado 15 August 2005 23:25

Edit: ok i got all savestates thanks to the cd32 version, i will post the sheets over the week

maVado 26 August 2005 17:50

3 Attachment(s)
level 1,3,4+5 sprites + space banshee, ill post a corrected version of level 2 + the normal banshee later.

forget the tiles, they are stored in either, 6,5,4 or 3 bitplanes with different palette. in like 5 hours i could rip around 100 tiles of 450 with currect palette for the 6 bitplanes tiles, for the 5,4 and3 bitplane tiles i could find an almost fitting palette. The only solution would be to capture the complete level by screenshots and search for the right tiles and copy and paste them into the tilesheet. I don't have the time for this, sorry.

anyway here are the sprites!

iliak 17 May 2008 22:30

Hi
Is it possible to repost all ripped sprites of Banshee please ?

Thanks

Iliak

RedBjarne 12 January 2018 23:25

Hi There

I can see this is a very old thread but maybe someone is still able to help here.

My name is Jacob Andersen and I am the artist who created all the artwork for this game (Banshee) and I am amazed that someone actually took the time to investigate this game so many years after it was created.

I downloaded the spritesheets and got all sentimental when looking at them. A lot of hours/thoughts/frustrations and eventually satisfaction was put into all (well most of) the pixels here.

I am wondering if anyone has ripped (or is able to rip) the background tiles as well as the sprites. The original artwork is long lost and it would be amazing to be able to view it again up close. :great

Cheers
Jacob

Joe Maroni 13 January 2018 06:43

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome Jacob...:great

I did not ripped the tiles...but i generated this from the gamemaps. hope this helps...
I'll do the other tilesets later...

Gzegzolka 13 January 2018 09:12

There are also game maps on HOL http://hol.abime.net/31/gamemap .
I wonder is there any leftovers graphics data in game that was not used? Since we have game artist here I would like to ask You Jacob. Where there any stuff You remember to work on that did not make into final version or have to be cut?

RedBjarne 13 January 2018 10:57

Wow, that was fast. The combined file is ok, I can write a tool to re-arrange them so they make more sense.

It a very long time since the game was made so I can't really remember if we did a cleanup (most likely) before the final version or some half-finished stuff was left in.

Other bits that would be cool to get is the font and the scoreboard (the sidebar).

Joe Maroni 13 January 2018 13:24

7 Attachment(s)
As promised...:)

BTW: Are you planning a remake ?

Steve 13 January 2018 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBjarne (Post 1211509)
Wow, that was fast. The combined file is ok, I can write a tool to re-arrange them so they make more sense.

It a very long time since the game was made so I can't really remember if we did a cleanup (most likely) before the final version or some half-finished stuff was left in.

Other bits that would be cool to get is the font and the scoreboard (the sidebar).

Hi Jacob. Welcome to the board. I just want to say that Banshee has some of my most favourite graphics from any Amiga game. Some really stunning pixel arrangements! Thanks for the great work you did on that gem - one of the best Amiga shooters in my opinion.

donnie 13 January 2018 16:36

I agree very nice graphics.

RedBjarne 15 January 2018 19:27

Thank you very much guys. It was a fun game to work on. I remember that I did some of the more complicated perspective pieces on a Silicon Graphics machine (using Wavefront) and then importing them into Brilliance on an Amiga for final pixel-pushing :-)

RedBjarne 15 January 2018 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Maroni (Post 1211556)
As promised...:)

BTW: Are you planning a remake ?

I don't think a remake is possible. I'm not sure where the rights to the game lies. Core Design was bought by Eidos and Eidos was bought by Square-Enix, so maybe Square-Enix owns the rights?