English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Demos (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Whdload demos (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89894)

Ami1200 22 December 2017 02:11

Whdload demos

Hello.I have little problem.

How this demo can working Amiga 1200 via Whdload ? :confused :banghead
It is very old,but looks very good and music is great.:cool
Crionics - Total Destruction - Amiga Demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb_ZAxYbML4

Thanks advice

britelite 22 December 2017 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ami1200 (Post 1207281)
How this demo can working Amiga 1200 via Whdload ? :confused :banghead
It is very old,but looks very good and music is great.:cool
Crionics - Total Destruction - Amiga Demo

There doesn't seem to be a Whdload slave for it at the moment, so unfortunately you're out of luck.

StingRay 22 December 2017 13:19

I've made a slave for it many years ago but never released it. I may revisit it one of these days.

chip 23 December 2017 09:03

I still don't understand which way an OCS prod can run under AGA machine :banghead

ross 23 December 2017 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip (Post 1207461)
I still don't understand which way an OCS prod can run under AGA machine :banghead

Actually the most complicated part is that AGA machines are all 020+ so it's a synchronization problem (SMC, specific duration required for some routines expecting the 000 fixed cycles).
If you initially set the chipset registers appropriately, apart for some small different behavior and oddity, the audio/video part does not create problems.
Then there are coder that exploit undocumented features or use bad code that write values in registers where it is not expected, but this is another story ;)

StingRay 23 December 2017 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip (Post 1207461)

By simply patching the problematic parts (see Ross' reply) to work properly. Real world example: Demo works fine on 68000 but has buggy graphics display on faster machines. This can be caused by missed blitter waits (68000 is slow enough so blitter has finished before next operation starts) which then need to be added for the demo to run properly on 020+ machines.

However, there can also be problems that are not so trivial, demo has blitter waits but there still are bugs on 020+? This can be timing related problem, some code is executed while blitter clears the screen, code is executed faster on 020+, blitter is still clearing the screen which can lead to weird visible bugs.

It can be a matter of some minutes to make code run properly on all machines or it can take MANY hours (Desert Dream and Hardwired are good examples of the latter).

Nibbler 26 December 2017 14:49

A WHDLoad Slave would be very nice for this little Gem. :great

@StingRay Can you release the Slave in the Zone or is it unusable ?

HUGE Greetings & thanks to all of you :bowdown Nibbler

StingRay 27 December 2017 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nibbler (Post 1207909)
Can you release the Slave in the Zone or is it unusable ?

It is not unusable but not 100% finished either. I have started to fix the last remaining problems, once everything is done the patch will be available on the WHDLoad site.

Nibbler 27 December 2017 13:28

Thank you StingRay :great

IvanEBC 09 January 2018 04:30

Thanks to stingray for his continued releases, look forward to seeing this one.

Oddly, i completely recalled the name of this demo, but watching the youtube, felt like i've never seen it.... Might have something mixed up in my memory.

Ami1200 06 April 2018 16:05

StingRay write:

It is not unusable but not 100% finished either. I have started to fix the last remaining problems, once everything is done the patch will be available on the WHDLoad site.

Sorry stupid question.
But where is that demo and what is new name?

StingRay 06 April 2018 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ami1200 (Post 1232673)
Sorry stupid question.
But where is that demo and what is new name?

Why should the demo suddenly have a new name? And if you mean the WHDLoad version, that's 99% finished on my HD. Fixed almost everything during the Christmas holidays but there is still something left to do.

Check back in this thread as I will post here once the patch is 100% finished and officially available.

Z3k 13 March 2021 15:32

Sorry to necro-posting but i tried myself to build some whdload slave for Total Destruction but it's beyond my current capabilities (sparse at best). So this is a kind request and reminder for StingRay, thanks in advance, no hurry!

Torti-the-Smurf 14 March 2021 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ross (Post 1207465)
Actually the most complicated part is that AGA machines are all 020+ so it's a synchronization problem (SMC, specific duration required for some routines expecting the 000 fixed cycles).
If you initially set the chipset registers appropriately, apart for some small different behavior and oddity, the audio/video part does not create problems.
Then there are coder that exploit undocumented features or use bad code that write values in registers where it is not expected, but this is another story ;)

Hmmm, Batman Vuelve (A500 Demo) runs on AGA Amigas but not on OCS/ECS 68020 (for example the A600-Furia) :confused

StingRay 14 March 2021 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z3k (Post 1469891)
So this is a kind request and reminder for StingRay, thanks in advance, no hurry!

I'll check the state of the Total Destruction patch in the coming weeks and see about finally finishing it. Thanks for the reminder. :)